Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food
    replied
    I watched the Bobby Knight movie starring Brian Dennehy with my father, and while we both agree that Dennehy is a good actor, Dad said it best: "The only man who can play Bobby Knight is Bobby Knight." I think that holds for just about every big-name athlete. Maybe that's why I don't care for sports movies.

I will confess to being gassed by seeing Pete Rose playing Ty Cobb. He's no actor, but is a catchy casting move, just as a wink at baseball history nuts. I dug it.

R.I.P Don Knotts. He was the sickest for all time.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by 64Cards

"8 Men Out" was a very good baseball movie, DB Sweeney looked good as Joe Jackson. John Cusack, one of my favorite actors, did a good job as Buck Weaver as did David Straithairn as Eddie Cicotte.

I thought the casting choices in Eight Men Out were pretty good. I thought the only poor choice was Michael Rooker as Chick Gandil. I thought that Gandil should have been played by a perpetually pissed off looking actor like Dylan McDermott.

The Hollywood boys were a little better looking than the actual Black Sox players though.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by skeletor
    Well, Ray wasn't bad as Joe..heck, it could have been worst..like
    John Travola....anyhow, does it really matter if the actor did not
    look like Jackson ? not many people have seen actual photos of
    the real Joe Jackson...so most fans probably did not care..
    however, on the goofs of hitting and throwing, too bad the
    producers of Field, did not pay closer attention to that detail..

the film did bring Joe Jackson back into the limelight..and on a lesser
    note, moonlight graham..
    I think Ray Liotta would have been a better choice to play a guy like Chick Gandil or Ty Cobb than playing Joe Jackson.

Leave a comment:

• skeletor
    replied
    Ray as Shoeless Joe..

Originally posted by yankees rule
    What about the fact that he didn't look like Joe Jackson at all? Maybe from a very big distance.
    Well, Ray wasn't bad as Joe..heck, it could have been worst..like
    John Travola....anyhow, does it really matter if the actor did not
    look like Jackson ? not many people have seen actual photos of
    the real Joe Jackson...so most fans probably did not care..
    however, on the goofs of hitting and throwing, too bad the
    producers of Field, did not pay closer attention to that detail..

the film did bring Joe Jackson back into the limelight..and on a lesser
    note, moonlight graham..

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by christian gentleman
    Regards 64Cards!

Ray Liotta was great as Joe Jackson in FOD, even though they messed up the hitting throwing fact. In real life he batted left and threw right. I think in the movie he threw and hit left.
    What about the fact that he didn't look like Joe Jackson at all? Maybe from a very big distance.

Leave a comment:

• soberdennis
    replied
    My favorite was Coop in Pride of the Yankees. He made me feel like I knew the Iron Horse personally. Noone can match that performance.
    An interesting note- Because they were unsuccessful in teaching Coop to hit Lefty, they had to tweek the film to show him at bat as Gehrig.

Leave a comment:

• soberdennis
    replied
    The guy who played the Babe in Pride of the Yankees was pretty realistic.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
    lol, Jack Black is like 5'7" isn't he? Then again, most hollywood actors are short as heck, but they someone manage to make the appear taller.
    I have no idea how big Jack Black is, but he is a guy that I can see sitting in a St Louis whorehouse with a highball in one hand and a naked girl on each leg like Ruth used to do.

I could also see Robby Coltrane as the Babe, but he is probably too old now.

Leave a comment:

• JohnGelnarFan
    replied
    Bendix

You are SO right Crank! It makes me laugh just thinking about Bendix in a striped sweater trying to pull off 18!!

Originally posted by ACrank
    Ok that makes sense. It always fascinated me how someone could think that Bendix could be the Babe from age 18 or so until his death, without a noticable change in much of anything - makeup, etc.

Leave a comment:

• JohnGelnarFan
    replied
    Barney

Nip It In The Bud! Nip It!!

It doesn't have a single thing to do with baseball, but RIP, Don Knotts...Barney Fife was the most hilarious character in the history of tv.

Leave a comment:

• ACrank
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnGelnarFan
    William Bendix was a good actor but he did suck as the Babe. I'm sure the real Babe must have been pulling his hair out trying to make him look like a ballplayer.
    Ok that makes sense. It always fascinated me how someone could think that Bendix could be the Babe from age 18 or so until his death, without a noticable change in much of anything - makeup, etc.

Leave a comment:

• rsuriyop
    replied
    Christopher Lee (http://www.moviemarket.co.uk/Photos/...eb0b091036db0d) as Connie Mack (http://encarta.msn.com/media_4615160...nnie_Mack.html) is another good one.

Leave a comment:

• JohnGelnarFan
    replied
    The Babe

William Bendix was a good actor but he did suck as the Babe. I'm sure the real Babe must have been pulling his hair out trying to make him look like a ballplayer.

Originally posted by ACrank
    Maybe its just me, but i actually liked Goodman as the Babe - i am going to have to dig that thread up to find out what the problems were with his portrayal.

Bendix was horrible tho, a bad actor having to deal with Babe Ruth as a consultant on the movie trying to make himself come out as a big dumb guy with a heart of gold.

I vaguely remember the Lang movie.

Leave a comment:

• ACrank
    replied

I think it's universally agreed that Goodman and Bill Bendix were both bad choices to play the Babe, in 2 terrible movies. As noted, Stephen Lang wasn't bad in the made for tv movie about Babe.
    Maybe its just me, but i actually liked Goodman as the Babe - i am going to have to dig that thread up to find out what the problems were with his portrayal.

Bendix was horrible tho, a bad actor having to deal with Babe Ruth as a consultant on the movie trying to make himself come out as a big dumb guy with a heart of gold.

I vaguely remember the Lang movie.

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Originally posted by wamby
    I'd like to see Jack Black play Babe Ruth. He'd probably have to be doubled in the athletic scenes though.
    lol, Jack Black is like 5'7" isn't he? Then again, most hollywood actors are short as heck, but they someone manage to make the appear taller.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X