RIP Roger Kahn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Roger Kahn

Roger Kahn, who wrote The Boys Of Summer, one of the best-loved baseball books, has passed away at age 92.
    https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/roger-...er-author-dies
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

I've heard some people here at BBF diss The Boys of Summer. I don't get it. I thought it was a heartfelt tribute to Kahn's father and the men Kahn followed and practically lived with for two years. I think it gave a better understanding into the soul of the Dodgers than any other work. I applaud him.

Comment

I saw over the weekend that he died but didn't think of posting it. The Boys Of Summer is arguably the best baseball book I've ever read. The Era 1947–57 is also worth reading.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
        I saw over the weekend that he died but didn't think of posting it. The Boys Of Summer is arguably the best baseball book I've ever read. The Era 1947–57 is also worth reading.
        Yes, it is. I also enjoyed Good Enough To Dream. Not one of his best books, but it's about the year (1983) that Kahn was the owner of the Utica Blue Sox, an unaffiliated minor league team in my wife's hometown, and my adopted hometown of Utica, NY.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Last year I read a book by Kahn which I had picked up in a library book sale. The link is below.

https://www.amazon.com/Memories-Summ...1445264&sr=8-4

In this memoir, Kahn reminisced about his writing career. It was an honest and forthright reminiscence of his career in journalism. His views were extremely candid, even surprisingly candid about players and his peers. The pictures which were inserted for the middle section were fabulous as well. He will be missed.

This news also brought to mind my other favorite baseball journalist: Roger Angell. He is a baseball poet who will turn 100 this year in September.

RIP Roger Kahn indeed.
          Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

RIP. Among the earliest baseball writers whose books I read. His classic has perhaps been overrated due to sentimentality regarding its subject, but it was a good book, well written by an author whose passion for his subject was evident on every page; well worth the read.
            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
            "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
            "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X