Books on Player Stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books on Player Stats

I am trying to find books on current player stats. I own a 6th edition Total Baseball book, the stats of which only go up to 1998, I am hoping that someone out there knows if there are books available that will bring me up to date. Thanks in advance.

The last edition of Total Baseball was published in 2004. The creators of that book, Gary Gillette and Peter Palmer then put out the ESPN Baseball Encyclopedia for several years. I believe the last one came out in 2008. With so much online these days, I wouldn't count on seeing another printed encyclopedia.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, Gillette & Palmer's ESPN Encylopedias were the last baseball (stats) encyclopedias in print. Everyone else's - Thorn's, Neft's, Macmillan's - ended previously. On the one hand, it's a shame, but considering the ubiquity and accessibility of statistics online, I don't see there being a sufficient profit motive for such an undertaking in the future. It's a shame in a way. I, for one, enjoy flipping pages and holding something in my hands and while I wouldn't trade that for the searchable/sortable nature of an online archives, I might be willing to pay for that as a luxury. I just don't imagine there'd be enough demand of that nature the costs involved.
      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X