2020 Mets Yearbook / Magazine / Media Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Mets Yearbook / Magazine / Media Guide

The Mets have finally placed their 2020 Yearbook on sale!!!!! I ordered immediatly I could not think of a year without collecting the Mets yearbook!

It's also available as a free download from the Mets' website.

https://www.mlb.com/mets/fans/publications

Also available for download from the same location: Mets Magazine #1 and the 2020 Mets Media Guide.

Did I mention they're free?
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
      It's also available as a free download from the Mets' website.

https://www.mlb.com/mets/fans/publications

Also available for download from the same location: Mets Magazine #1 and the 2020 Mets Media Guide.

Did I mention they're free?
      Free. This year of firsts just keeps firsting. Be interesting to see how (or if) it accumulates value. If it helps any, it'll likely be available for only a limited time, but I can't imagine it being too difficult to duplicate.

I suppose I should include the free digital version as an official edition. And it is so. As such, this is the first year since 2009 there has been at least 2 editions.

Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
        As such, this is the first year since 2009 there has been at least 2 editions.
        This may be a matter of semantics, because if you consider the digital version and the print version to be different "editions," I disagree. I look at them as different formats, because the contents are, or should be, the same. (There may be subtle differences between the two that I wouldn't consider justification to classify them as different "editions" - for example, the lack of a cover price or a barcode on the digital edition.)

I know there were at least two editions of the 2008 yearbook. I didn't know there were two for '09. How do they differ? (For anyone who may not know, milladrive knows his stuff when it comes to Mets yearbooks. He's written very informative blogs about the 1962, 1963, and 1964 yearbooks, and if you're a collector they're well worth reading.)

Meanwhile, for anyone who's interested in getting an actual genuine real print copy of the yearbook, here's the link: New York Mets 2020 Yearbook. The price is $15.00.

Printed copies of the 2020 Media Guide and the Mets Magazine are, as far as I know, not available at the present time.

X
        What's THAT guy doing?
        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

This may be a matter of semantics, because if you consider the digital version and the print version to be different "editions," I disagree. I look at them as different formats, because the contents are, or should be, the same. (There may be subtle differences between the two that I wouldn't consider justification to classify them as different "editions" - for example, the lack of a cover price or a barcode on the digital edition.)
          Oh my, no. Subtle differences are absolutely justification to classify them as different issues. It's not even semantics. It's virtually unthinkable to collectors to not make the distinctions between variations. Different cover prices, with/without UPC, printing errors, etc., are all considered their own releases. A variation is a variation, my good sir.

Thus, the different "cover price" for the free version here means no price is printed on the cover, unlike the printed version, which I'm presuming has a printed price and quite probably no copyright disclaimer at the bottom of the front cover. And who knows if there'll be changes before the end of September, when MLB says it'll deliver the hard copies.* And rest assured, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for revisions in the version available online.

* A yearbook officially released on Closing Day, not Opening Day!

For what it's worth ($4.50 a copy), I was able to purchase mine (I bought more than one) two days in a row for 30% off ($10.50 each) during an apparent flash sale. Look for the promo coupon "MAJORS". It seems to come and go, switching off with a measly free shipping deal with a minimum purchase.

Precedent aside, I'm excited by this free release. I like that it's available to everyone. That's just awesome! And one of the things I see happening in time is a scarcity of this year in print, because of the freebie, the brevity of the season, and the fact that no one can purchase it as they walk into the park. It's gonna be quite rare, mark my words.

Including the printed version purchased but not possessed yet, there have now been 139 Mets yearbooks released since Opening Day 1962.

I'm gonna start posting more info about the annual variations from 1965 forward. I doubt I'll ever complete the book I was considering, and I see no point in the keeping the info to myself. Besides, even if the book does come to light, so what? I'll consider what I post at BBF to be the free edition, heh. And I'm always glad to answer questions individually for those interested to take the hobby as far as they'd like to go. There's no wrong way to enjoy Mets yearbooks, if you ask me.

In the meantime, here's the list of the current number of releases for each season:

1962: 5
          1963: 4
          1964: 5
          1965: 4
          1966: 20
          1967: 3
          1968: 2
          1969: 3
          1970: 1
          1971: 4
          1972: 2
          1973: 3
          1974: 2
          1975: 2
          1976: 2
          1977: 2
          1978: 2
          1979: 2
          1980: 1
          1981: 1
          1982: 2
          1983: 3
          1984: 3
          1985: 3
          1986: 4
          1987: 2
          1988: 4
          1989: 3
          1990: 3
          1991: 2
          1992: 2
          1993: 1
          1994: 1
          1995: 1
          1996: 1
          1997: 1
          1998: 1
          1999: 2
          2000: 2
          2001: 2
          2002: 2
          2003: 2
          2004: 1
          2005: 1
          2006: 2
          2007: 2
          2008: 2
          2009: 2
          2010: 1
          2011: 1
          2012: 1
          2013: 1
          2014: 1
          2015: 1
          2016: 1
          2017: 1
          2018: 1
          2019: 1
          2020: 2
          Last edited by milladrive; 08-30-2020, 10:48 PM.
          Put it in the books.

Comment

WARNING! This post is technically off-topic as it discusses the 2009 Mets yearbooks, not the 2020 edition.

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
            2009 had a version available during Citi Field's inaugural home series. They then turned to the issue available for the rest of the year.
            If it was anyone but you saying this, I'd say you were confusing this with the programs, which had a special cover sold during the opening series. But there were the usual six issues of the program published during the season, which kinda puts the kibosh on my theory that you were confused.

So I went into my photo archive to see if I got some shots of the 2009 publications. And I did...

Here's a stack of programs that were sold Opening Day (4/13/09)...

...and here's a photo taken 4/15/09, the second game at Citi Field, showing a different cover for the program.

But we're talking about the yearbooks, and here's a photo from Opening Day (4/13/09) showing the yearbook and the media guide...

...and this photo of yearbooks and programs on sale was taken later in the season (9/22/09).

Unless I'm missing something, the covers of the yearbooks sold on Opening Day and in September look alike. Of course, it's possible they did make changes but didn't add a "revised edition" notice on the cover, which as far as I know would be the first time the Mets did that.

X
            What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

Wow, I apologize. I honestly don't know what possessed me to say that about '09, other than perhaps indeed misremembering Citi's first scorecards. In fact, I've removed that paragraph from my post. I really didn't mean to make you do all that work, Gary, but I thank you. Shame on me. Great photos, tho.

In 2007 and 2009, like many years previously, the yearbook was issued for sale at both the ballpark and bookstores/newsstands. The difference in those two years, however, was that both versions were the same price. And, rather than the usual UPC printed directly onto the book, the bookstore editions were simply given manufacturer UPC stickers.

But this speaks to your point. I assure you, the bookstore/newsstand volumes (1978-1979, 1983-1986, 1991-1995, 1999-2003, 2006-2007, and 2009) have always been considered their own versions on the Mets yearbook checklist.

The reason 2009 was the last year with two versions of the yearbook was simply because it was the last year with a bookstore edition. Other than 2008 and its Final Shea Stadium volume, and 1992 with its bilingual release, 1991 was the most recent year with what you would traditionally call a "revision."

Anyway, again, my bad. It'll never happen again, but I deserve my punishment. Forty thumbs down with a wet noodle?
              Put it in the books.

Comment

Of course, it's possible they did make changes but didn't add a "revised edition" notice on the cover, which as far as I know would be the first time the Mets did that.
                In my zeal to correct my earlier mistake, I neglected to notice this. Actually, there were a few seasons for which revised editions were released with no indication on the cover, beginning with, um, 1962. 1971 and 1975 as well. There may've been one other, but I don't wanna misspeak again.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

I received a copy of the 2020 Mets yearbook in today's (9/4/20) mail. It came in clear shrinkwrap, with a full size stiff paper slip over the back cover with my name and address.

I was surprised because I didn't order one and had no idea I was getting a copy. Wonder if this is a surprise gift to season ticket holders. Did any other STHs, or plan holders for that matter, receive one?

The actual yearbook doesn't have a cover price or a barcode. I'm guessing the only way to get one is through the Mets.

To anyone who ordered a paid copy: how was it mailed? Shrinkwrapped or in an envelope? And does your paid copy have a cover price or barcode? (I doubt it will, but we need to know so that milladrive can keep his collection complete. )
                  X
                  What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

I received a copy of the 2020 Mets yearbook in today's (9/4/20) mail. It came in clear shrinkwrap, with a full size stiff paper slip over the back cover with my name and address.

I was surprised because I didn't order one and had no idea I was getting a copy. Wonder if this is a surprise gift to season ticket holders. Did any other STHs, or plan holders for that matter, receive one?

The actual yearbook doesn't have a cover price or a barcode. I'm guessing the only way to get one is through the Mets.

To anyone who ordered a paid copy: how was it mailed? Shrinkwrapped or in an envelope? And does your paid copy have a cover price or barcode? (I doubt it will, but we need to know so that milladrive can keep his collection complete. )
                    Not to mention, a whole lot of other Mets memorabilia collectors, including Ron Swoboda and buddy Andy Fogel.

Imho, this is the most exciting Mets yearbook release in nearly 3 decades!

Indeed, STHs are receiving copies of the 2020 yearbook! I haven't been able to peruse the issue yet because I'm not a ticket holder and know of none here in the Mohave Desert, heh. The collector in me won't encourage anyone to unwrap it (unless more than one is received), so until I procure one I'll be relying on details from those who unwrap it on their own.

If I were to assume that the issue being mailed to STHs possesses the black copyright disclaimer on the cover, would I be wrong? My hunch is that I would be. However, if it does appear, where is it located? Is it between the picture and the title, as shown on the publications link page at the MLB shop, or below the title, which is where it appears on the actual digital copy? Again, I'm guessing the hard copies don't possess it at all.

If no price is printed on the paid cover, it'll set yet another precedent (a few so far this year). I can't verify yet if the paid copies will have it, but if they don't, I'll find it interesting that the MSRP is still $15 (which it's been since 2015) while discounted at the store via various promotions. I have to wonder if the MSRP is listed anywhere in the book. It's listed nowhere in the 236-page digital edition. I know it's not on the cover of the free copy being sent to STHs, but is it printed anywhere? And if it's nowhere to be found on the paid copies, how is anyone to know what the MSRP was when it goes out of print? Before I continue this line of thought, let's see how the paid issues arrive.

The MLB Shop – currently the only legitimate place to purchase the 2020 publications – says it'll deliver the purchased hard copies at the end of September. More questions can be answered then.

P.S. Any question that the digital version isn't its own unique version should be put to rest by its many internet links that hard copies simply can't contain.
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

The hard copies do not have any copyright notice on the cover.

And I now know that plan holders are also receiving copies. A 20-game plan holder in a Mets group on Facebook reported receiving a copy.
                      X
                      What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X