Neyer/james Guide to pitching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neyer/james Guide to pitching

i just checked it out from my school library today...what do people who've read it before think about it?

Dry

It is a nice sourcebook if you are talking about a pitcher or ever say to yourself what did that guy throw. OTher then that you'll never pick it up again after you skim it the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
      Dry

It is a nice sourcebook if you are talking about a pitcher or ever say to yourself what did that guy throw. OTher then that you'll never pick it up again after you skim it the first time.
      thanks for the reply. im reading up on the cyyoung predictor now.

Comment

Neyer/James Guide To Pitchers

I liked it quite a bit. Of course I'm a Bill James nut, but I like his writing a lot more than the stats stuff. There are about 150 pages of real writing in the book. About half of it on different pitches, their history, who threw them, who threw them the best, etc. The pitching profiles are also great. 5-6 pages on guys like Tommy Bond, Tony Mullane, Bob Friend, Lon Warneke. Sections on knuckleballers and sub-mariners, predicting Cy Young award winners and "lucky" and "unlucky" pitchers, guys who have won/lost records a lot better or a lot worse than they really should be.

As usual with Bill James and Rob Neyer, this book helped open my eyes to new ways of thinking about baseball. I've actually gone back to re-read it several times and I've used it as a reference dozens of times.

Scott
        I told you not to be stupid you moron.

Comment

i liked it.Ido not a pitcher, but I have been in the past, and my nephew wants to be a pitcher, so this book helped me re-capture the old techniques to show him how to play.
          MySpace Codes

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X