X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SouthwestAmAZins
    Playertobenamedlater
    • Apr 2007

If a new Baseball Bunch show were to be produced, who would host it?

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
      OSHA-certified Moderator
      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post
      Bench was a good choice because not only was he a well-established player, he was a polished speaker, having worked PR for years for a local banking company. It would have to be a popular, well-established player with an engaging personality.

Nomar Garciaparra would be a good choice but he's hardly been what one would call a superstar for the last few seasons.
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• commishbob
        Not a Peter Angelos fan
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by NewEnglandAmazins View Post
        Barry Bonds is looking for a gig, isn't he?

But actually Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn come to mind and fit the 'recently retired and media savvy mold'. Or, like Bench, maybe someone close to retirement like Mike Piazza? Griffey Jr?
        1966 1970 1983

Comment

• RuthMayBond
          Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by commishbob View Post
          But actually Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn come to mind and fit the 'recently retired and media savvy mold'.
          Ripken would be awesome, and he would fit on the screen

<Or, like Bench, maybe someone close to retirement like Mike Piazza?>

Piazza is closer than you think
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
            OSHA-certified Moderator
            • Jan 2000

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post

I thought about Ripken, he'd be very good, and if it weren't necessary to have a current player, there aren't many who have his popularity and media savvy.

Gwynn would be good, as well.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• commishbob
              Not a Peter Angelos fan
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post

Yeah. I forgot about Piazza being gone. Your sly swipe at Tony Gwynn made me laugh.
              1966 1970 1983

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by commishbob View Post
                Your sly swipe at Tony Gwynn made me laugh.
                Would anyone believe that, fewer than twenty years ago, he had forty SB, and 328 putouts from right field?
                Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

• Jermz
                  Fear Kevin Mitchell
                  • May 2005

Does anyone remember when they re-did the Baseball Bunch in the 90's with Reggie Jackson as the host? It wasn't as "scripted" as the original, and they didn't have a small group of kids that appeared on every show with different gimmicks (smart kid, girl, fast kid etc.) It was taped during Spring Training in Arizona, and it had players from Cactus League teams come and teach the kids fundamentals. I remember Will Clark, Matt Williams, Ryne Sandberg & I think Dave Stewart were on some of the episodes.

I have always wanted to the make a new Baseball Bunch. Updated versions with current players teaching the kids. Maybe have basestealing with Carl Crawford, power hitting with Prince Fielder, infield defense with David Wright, outfield defense with Torii Hunter etc.

The Harold Reynolds baseball instruction videos are great, and so are the "Ripken Way" ones. I would have thought Reynolds would have been the best choice for a new host until his ESPN departure, now I am not sure he gets the same kind of love in media circles that he used to. Gwynn would be good too. He does baseball instruction OnDemand from SD State Univ. field with help from his collegiate team.

I would think the best for a show would be Cal Ripken. Maybe even do the Ripken Brothers as hosts, they are very funny together, and have hilarious chemistry.
                  "Candlestick made me a man" -Will Clark

"Real Giants fans loved them BEFORE and AFTER Barry Bonds came along"

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jermz View Post
                    I have always wanted to the make a new Baseball Bunch. Updated versions with current players teaching the kids. Maybe have basestealing with Carl Crawford, power hitting with Prince Fielder, infield defense with David Wright, outfield defense with Torii Hunter etc.
                    Much better than basestealing and infield defense with Prince Fielder, and power hitting with Torii Hunter

Comment

• tmorss9
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jermz View Post
                      Does anyone remember when they re-did the Baseball Bunch in the 90's with Reggie Jackson as the host?
                      That show was called "Play Ball" with Reggie Jackson. A pretty good show, actually. Made Reggie almost look like a decent guy. Seriously, though- He did a good show. It was in no way, however, involved with The Baseball Bunch
                      "Straight ball I hit it very much, curveball, bats are afraid"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X