Best Line about Baseball in a movie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Line about Baseball in a movie.

I know that there are numerous threads on favorite movies, but I don't think this has been done before ...

What's your favorite line about baseball in any movie (note: this thread is not limited to just baseball movies, though I suspect most of the lines will come from them for obvious reasons.)

For me its one of the following three --

"The game doesn't stink, Mr. Wheeler. It's a great game." - Billy Chapel in "For Love of the Game"

"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come." -Terrance Mann in "Field of Dreams"

"It's fun, that's what it is, it's fun. Baseball is more fun than anything else. You can watch it and just love it and enjoy it. I don't think that there's anything tremendously philosophical about it. I don't think there's anything metaphysical I just think its so much fun to watch." - Robert Creamer in Ken Burns "Baseball" Inning One.
    Last edited by riverhawk; 02-27-2006, 11:38 AM.
    "It's fun, that's what it is, it's fun. Baseball is more fun than anything else. You can watch it and just love it and enjoy it. I don't think that there's anything tremendously philosophical about it. I don't think there's anything metaphysical I just think its so much fun to watch." - Robert Creamer

I have several favorites from non-baseball movies:

1. The language is too graphic for this forum, but it's James Remar's threat to the member of The Baseball Furies in The Warriors. "Ajax" will turn the painted thug into a popsicle!

2. "You know what I like? Baseball!" Robert De Niro as Al Capone in The Untouchables.

3. And just to show that I'm not obsessed with violence, we have Jack Warden in Twelve Angry Men: "Hey, let's wrap this up...I got tickets to the Yankees tonight!"

Comment

funny how the Terrance Mann quote is obsolete so soon after it was said

Baseball no longer marks the times
      No one cares about the past anymore...the past is last year at best
      We are no longer an optimist society, but bitter and self serving with a fast food mentality

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball
        I have several favorites from non-baseball movies:

1. The language is too graphic for this forum, but it's James Remar's threat to the member of The Baseball Furies in The Warriors. "Ajax" will turn the painted thug into a popsicle!

2. "You know what I like? Baseball!" Robert De Niro as Al Capone in The Untouchables.

3. And just to show that I'm not obsessed with violence, we have Jack Warden in Twelve Angry Men: "Hey, let's wrap this up...I got tickets to the Yankees tonight!"
        "When we get home, I'm going to show you Ebbets Field," Buzz in the "Amazon Women on the Moon" segment in the movie of the same name. The "movie" came out some time in the fifties (the announcer said a different date each time they came back from commercial) with the action taking place in 1980.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Imapotato
          funny how the Terrance Mann quote is obsolete so soon after it was said

Baseball no longer marks the times
          No one cares about the past anymore...the past is last year at best
          We are no longer an optimist society, but bitter and self serving with a fast food mentality
          Which is why I love the history of it so much. I have had high school friends say I was behind the times for preferring the era when I grew up, the 1970s,w hen we still were an optimistic society that kept rebuilding and so on. But, there is such a difference between the way people think now and what it used to be; and, it's hard to imagine why such friends would decide they wanted it the way it is now and not the way it was. It really is sad.

I'm trying to think of good lines. I love to write, and have written some great lines; 1/3 of the way through a baseball book that will be Print On Demand when it comes out in maybe a year if I'm lucky. But, i guess plots matter more to me than individual lines in movies, though I do remember some jokes quite well.

My favorite line fromt he book I'm writing so far is:
          “A good fastball stings a little even with padding. Then there’s the foul balls. They don’t call them the ’tools of ignorance’ for nothing. Although, when your choice is chancing getting beaned by a foul ball or getting stoned on something, that’s when you realize catcher’s gear can be the tools of a very wise man.”
          If Baseball Integrated Early - baseball integrated from the beginning - and "Brotherhood and baseball," the U.S. history companion, at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Baseballifsandmore - IBIE updated for 2011.

"Full House Chronology" at yahoo group fullhousefreaks & fullhouse4life with help of many fans, thanks for the input

Comment

and we are called nostalgic fools, who have no vision and surprise...cynic, hence my tagline

I feel I am missing something...I like very few people, when 15 years ago, I was happy and optimistic, lots of friends, didn't know about politics and the hypocrisy of the world...yet now I think most people are mildly retarded or worse, and they feel the same about me

Problem is I am in the minority...so I do wonder if something is wrong with me sometimes

Nah....

Comment

"It's not my fault you wouldn't play catch with your father!"

STILL a Terence Mann quote from Field of Dreams.

Comment

One of my favorite scenes from Bull Durham.

NUKE

(singing softly)
                Oh she may get wooly, women do get
                wooly, because of all the stress...

CRASH

I hate people who get the words wrong.
                It ain't "woolly" it's "weary" and
                it nobody's got stress, they're
                wearing a dress.

NUKE

How come you don't like me?

CRASH

'Cause you don't respect yourself,
                which is your problem, but you don't
                respect the game -- and that's my
                problem.
                (beat)
                You got a gift.

NUKE

What do I got?

CRASH

A gift. When you were a baby the
                gods reached down and turned your
                left arm into a thunderbolt. - (funny how the original script said lefty, but they cast Nuke as a righty)

Nuke looks at his left arm rubs his shoulder curiously.

CRASH

You got a Hall of Fame arm but you're
                pissing it away.

NUKE

I ain't pissing nothing away -- I
                got a Porsche already. A 944 with
                A.C. and a quadraphonic Blaupunkt.

CRASH

You don't need a quadraphonic
                Blaupunkt -- you need a curve ball.

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Bull-Durham.html
                Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 02-27-2006, 11:13 PM.
                "By common consent, Ruth was the hardest hitter of history; a fine fielder, if not a finished one; an inspired base runner, seeming to do the right thing without thinking. He had the most perfect co-ordination of any human animal I ever knew." - Hugh Fullerton, 1936 (Chicago sports writer, 1893-1930's)

ROY / ERA+ Title / Cy Young / WS MVP / HR Title / Gold Glove / Comeback POY / BA Title / MVP / All Star / HOF

Comment

from the book & movie

"Who is he, anyhow, an actor?"

"No."

"A dentist?"

"Meyer Wofsheim? No, he's a gambler." Gatsby hesitated, then added coolly: "He's the man who fixed the World Series back in 1919."

The Great Gatsby
                  F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

If you have ever stood on your own favorite field of dreams, for me it was Tiger Stadium, I like this line from 'Field of Dreams' when John and Ray are standing on their favorite field-

(John Kinsella): Is this heaven?
                    (Ray): It's Iowa.
                    (John): Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven.
                    1968 and 1984, the greatest ever.

Comment

Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham:

Well, you know I... I never got to bat in the major leagues. I would have liked to have had that chance. Just once. To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag. That's my wish, Ray Kinsella. That's my wish. And is there enough magic out there in the moonlight to make this dream come true?
                      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by riverhawk

"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come." -Terrance Mann in "Field of Dreams"

"It's fun, that's what it is, it's fun. Baseball is more fun than anything else. You can watch it and just love it and enjoy it. I don't think that there's anything tremendously philosophical about it. I don't think there's anything metaphysical I just think its so much fun to watch." - Robert Creamer in Ken Burns "Baseball" Inning One.
                        That's a pretty odd combination. Field of Dreams makes me gag a little bit. I do agree with the Creamer quote.

Comment

Originally posted by wamby
                          That's a pretty odd combination. Field of Dreams makes me gag a little bit. I do agree with the Creamer quote.
                          On the face I guess they are, but in truth I think they go hand in hand. Creamer's quote is timless, baseball was fun in 1910, just like it was in 1950, just like it is today. As in the "Field of Dreams" points out there aren't too many things in our society today that we can look at with the same eyes as our grandfathers did.
                          "It's fun, that's what it is, it's fun. Baseball is more fun than anything else. You can watch it and just love it and enjoy it. I don't think that there's anything tremendously philosophical about it. I don't think there's anything metaphysical I just think its so much fun to watch." - Robert Creamer

Comment

On the face I guess they are, but in truth I think they go hand in hand. Creamer's quote is timless, baseball was fun in 1910, just like it was in 1950, just like it is today. As in the "Field of Dreams" points out there aren't too many things in our society today that we can look at with the same eyes as our grandfathers did.
                            I see what you are saying but I can't agree with it. I think the Field of Dreams quote is way too sentimental. I doubt if I have ever looked at baseball the same way my grandfathers did. The game on the field is very similar, but seems a lot different off the field.

Comment

But baseball is one of them. It is the same fundamental game today as it was then. That's why it is so much fun and timeless.
                              MLB changes, but the game itself doesn't.
                              I enjoy watching sandlot and little league as mush as college or MLB.
                              It is the enjoyment of the sport.
                              1968 and 1984, the greatest ever.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X