Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Line about Baseball in a movie.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by wamby
    I see what you are saying but I can't agree with it.
    Fair enough. I see your side too, guess I'm still too much of an optimist, though I'm becoming less of one with each passing day.
    "It's fun, that's what it is, it's fun. Baseball is more fun than anything else. You can watch it and just love it and enjoy it. I don't think that there's anything tremendously philosophical about it. I don't think there's anything metaphysical I just think its so much fun to watch." - Robert Creamer

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by riverhawk
      Fair enough. I see your side too, guess I'm still too much of an optimist, though I'm becoming less of one with each passing day.
      I know the feeling. Living in the south has not been good for my optimism.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by wamby
        I see what you are saying but I can't agree with it. I think the Field of Dreams quote is way too sentimental. I doubt if I have ever looked at baseball the same way my grandfathers did. The game on the field is very similar, but seems a lot different off the field.
        Off the field?? There is no game off the field!
        And how is Rose and 'roids today any different from Blacksox and Ruth then.

        What I mean by Ruth is that he did all the carousing and drinking and tempers and womanizing, but it was overlooked.
        Off the field is no different, except for science ('roids).

        Personally, I don't care about off the field.
        It is baseball that I love.

        If we put players on pedestals, we should not be surprised when they fall. They are only human. They did not ask for 'deification', we did that.

        Off the field is irrelevant.
        The game is what we, me anyway, love.

        Just IMO.
        1968 and 1984, the greatest ever.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Tigerfan1974
          Off the field?? There is no game off the field!
          And how is Rose and 'roids today any different from Blacksox and Ruth then.

          What I mean by Ruth is that he did all the carousing and drinking and tempers and womanizing, but it was overlooked.
          Off the field is no different, except for science ('roids).

          Personally, I don't care about off the field.
          It is baseball that I love.

          If we put players on pedestals, we should not be surprised when they fall. They are only human. They did not ask for 'deification', we did that.

          Off the field is irrelevant.
          The game is what we, me anyway, love.

          Just IMO.
          I think off the field is far from irrelevant. In my grandfathers' day there was no million dollar ballplayers, no work stoppages, no expansion etc. I'm guessing that way they looked at the game in 1930 or 1950 was a lot different then I looked at it in 1975 or 1981 or now.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by wamby
            I think off the field is far from irrelevant. In my grandfathers' day there was no million dollar ballplayers, no work stoppages, no expansion etc. I'm guessing that way they looked at the game in 1930 or 1950 was a lot different then I looked at it in 1975 or 1981 or now.
            I guess we are talking apples and oranges.
            I am talking about baseball the game; and you are talking about MLB, the sport/business. Just a different point of view.
            It's all good.
            1968 and 1984, the greatest ever.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Tigerfan1974
              I guess we are talking apples and oranges.
              I am talking about baseball the game; and you are talking about MLB, the sport/business. Just a different point of view.
              It's all good.
              I agree. I don't see the product on the field in a vacuum.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by wamby
                I agree. I don't see the product on the field in a vacuum.
                Have you read the book Field of Dreams came from, Shoeless Joe?
                If you think the sentiment was dripping in the movie, you'd drown in it if you read the book.
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
                  Have you read the book Field of Dreams came from, Shoeless Joe?
                  If you think the sentiment was dripping in the movie, you'd drown in it if you read the book.
                  I found a copy of it on our ship and read it. I think you're exactly right. I didn't like it very much.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
                    Have you read the book Field of Dreams came from, Shoeless Joe?
                    If you think the sentiment was dripping in the movie, you'd drown in it if you read the book.

                    I read it back as a teenager, probably close to 15 years ago now...along with his other book "The Iowa Baseball Confederacy". Haven't read either in years...will have to check them both out again.
                    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      a challenge

                      What's maybe nice is to find a quote or use of a baseball term in a movie not about baseball. That might lead us somewhere else.

                      We have all those great terms, but can we find them in more everyday usage.

                      We say, "run out that ground ball" or "swing for the fences." What movies or books or situations do we use baseball as a metaphor or inspiration or ideal.

                      Then we can move away from Field of Dreams which is a sentimental love affair with the game.

                      I loved the book by the way. It hit me "close to home." Is that a baseball expression?

                      -cg

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by christian gentleman
                        What's maybe nice is to find a quote or use of a baseball term in a movie not about baseball. That might lead us somewhere else.

                        We have all those great terms, but can we find them in more everyday usage.

                        We say, "run out that ground ball" or "swing for the fences." What movies or books or situations do we use baseball as a metaphor or inspiration or ideal.

                        Then we can move away from Field of Dreams which is a sentimental love affair with the game.

                        I loved the book by the way. It hit me "close to home." Is that a baseball expression?

                        -cg
                        Hit and Run has been said in many movies not relating to baseball.

                        Going all the way with a girl, or going to first base, second base, or third base has also been said many times.

                        In a crucial situation, somebody might say "it's the bottom of the 9th, with 2 outs" or something.

                        Is that what you mean?
                        "By common consent, Ruth was the hardest hitter of history; a fine fielder, if not a finished one; an inspired base runner, seeming to do the right thing without thinking. He had the most perfect co-ordination of any human animal I ever knew." - Hugh Fullerton, 1936 (Chicago sports writer, 1893-1930's)

                        ROY / ERA+ Title / Cy Young / WS MVP / HR Title / Gold Glove / Comeback POY / BA Title / MVP / All Star / HOF

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          exactly. or maybe expressions with added power.

                          hey, don't "buckner" this presentation.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            "There's no crying in baseball!"

                            After the pitcher gives up a long home run-
                            "That ball wouldn't have been out of every park."
                            "Name me one."
                            "Uh, Yellowstone?"
                            Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                            Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by christian gentleman
                              What's maybe nice is to find a quote or use of a baseball term in a movie not about baseball. That might lead us somewhere else.

                              We have all those great terms, but can we find them in more everyday usage.

                              We say, "run out that ground ball" or "swing for the fences." What movies or books or situations do we use baseball as a metaphor or inspiration or ideal.

                              Then we can move away from Field of Dreams which is a sentimental love affair with the game.

                              I loved the book by the way. It hit me "close to home." Is that a baseball expression?

                              -cg
                              It's not a movie, but the James Thurber short story "The Catbird Seat" is rife with terms Red Barber would use during Dodger broadcasts. That's where the title of the short story comes from. If the story were more sinister in nature, Rod Serling could have used it.
                              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by christian gentleman
                                exactly. or maybe expressions with added power.

                                hey, don't "buckner" this presentation.
                                It's not a movie, but the term "Ruthian" used to be used quite often in our country to describe something of greatness.

                                And the name Babe Ruth was used as a standard of excellence. For instance, when Willie Sutton was released from prison, Time referred to him as "the Babe Ruth" of bank robbers.

                                Under a photo of singer Franco Corelli in The New York Times, the caption read "the Babe Ruth of operatic tenors."

                                A Long Beach, California press release said that Chuck Stearns was "the Babe Ruth of water skiing."

                                John Lahr was thanking people who helped him write the biography of his father, and said that Suzi Arensberg was "the Babe Ruth of copy editors."
                                "By common consent, Ruth was the hardest hitter of history; a fine fielder, if not a finished one; an inspired base runner, seeming to do the right thing without thinking. He had the most perfect co-ordination of any human animal I ever knew." - Hugh Fullerton, 1936 (Chicago sports writer, 1893-1930's)

                                ROY / ERA+ Title / Cy Young / WS MVP / HR Title / Gold Glove / Comeback POY / BA Title / MVP / All Star / HOF

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X