• Show
Clear All

Best line in a baseball movie

This line says it all,

"Dogs have fleas, managers have sportswriters!"

Guffy McGovern, the original "Angels in
    the Outfield." 1952

Comment

I will paraphrase, but my alltime Favorite Line is from Ty Cobb. When asked why he thought he could only manage to hit .290 against the current crop of major league pitching he replies, 'Cause I'm 73 f'n years old' :grouchy
      Johnny
      Delusion, Life's Coping Mechanism

Comment

In "A League of Their Own" Jimmy Dugan signs a baseball for a kid, who reads it out loud: "Avoid the clap, Jimmy Dugan."

Comment

Originally posted by zman
          In "A League of Their Own" Jimmy Dugan signs a baseball for a kid, who reads it out loud: "Avoid the clap, Jimmy Dugan."
          The best part of that scene is when he yells to the kid, who is now walking away "That's good advice".. I like to say that whenever possible.
          "Straight ball I hit it very much, curveball, bats are afraid"

Comment

My favorite line is from Bull Durham, "Rose goes on the front, big guy."
            Last edited by Chef Bill; 03-09-2006, 07:17 PM.
            "Chef Bill"
            Boynton Beach, Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
              It's not a movie, but the term "Ruthian" used to be used quite often in our country to describe something of greatness.

And the name Babe Ruth was used as a standard of excellence. For instance, when Willie Sutton was released from prison, Time referred to him as "the Babe Ruth" of bank robbers.

Under a photo of singer Franco Corelli in The New York Times, the caption read "the Babe Ruth of operatic tenors."

A Long Beach, California press release said that Chuck Stearns was "the Babe Ruth of water skiing."
              "I'm the Mickey Mantle of the grease pits." The Fonz from Happy Days.

Josh Gibson "The Black Babe Ruth."
              Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 03-12-2006, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I vote for that Terrence Mann line in Field fo Dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by vasprtsfn
                  I vote for that Terrence Mann line in Field fo Dreams.
                  Peace love dope?
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by wamby
                    I know the feeling. Living in the south has not been good for my optimism.
                    Strange, I've never known that latitude could have such an impact on one's outlook in life.

Haven't seen a lot of lines from Major League on here.

Uecker's,"Juuuuust a bit outside" is a classic. Also like Cerrano's, "It's very bad to steal Jobu's rum. Very bad."
                    Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
                    Astros Daily

Comment

Harris's line from Major League cracks me up every time:

"Are you tryin' to tell me that Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?"

I like Field of Dreams, saccharine as it is. But Shoeless Joe.. OMG... If Sir Edward Bulwer-Lytton (who penned the immortal phrase "It was a dark and stormy night") had written a baseball book, it would be this one. Not merely saccharine, it's dripping syrupy sentimentality and stuffed with the purplest of purple prose and packed with entirely non-credible plotlines and garnished with enough forced similies to choke a horse (and yes, a few mixed metaphors as well). I honestly don't know how I finished it.

One of my favorite quotes is the last 3 paragraphs of Summerland by Michael Chabon, especially the line:

"...you must hold onto the ball as if you are holding onto the love of your very truest friend."

--Annie
                      Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                      Remember Yellowdog
                      ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
                        One of my favorite quotes is the last 3 paragraphs of Summerland by Michael Chabon...
                        That was a good book, Annie. Not generally the kind of story that can hold me, but that one was a very enjoyable read.
                        Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
                        Astros Daily

Comment

Robert DiNiro in "The Fan"

"thats why baseball is better than life, its fair!"
                          Custom Made Wood Bats and Bamboo

Comment

from one of my favorite movies of all time:

Pop Fisher: My ma urged me to get out of this game. When I was a kid, she pleaded with me. And I meant to, you know what I mean? But she died.
                            Red Blow: Tough.
                            Pop Fisher: Now look at me. I'm wet nurse to a last-place, dead-to-the-neck-up ball club, and I'm choking to death!

this says it all:

Roy Hobbs: I coulda been better. I coulda broke every record in the book.
                            Iris Gaines: And then?
                            Roy Hobbs: And then? And then when I walked down the street people would've looked and they would've said there goes Roy Hobbs, the best there ever was in this game.
                            "It took me seventeen years to get three thousand hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon playing golf." - Hank Aaron

Comment

A book, not a movie, but any post of baseball quotes wouldn't be complete without the last line of "Ball Four" by Jim Bouton:

"You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out it was the other way around the whole time."
                              Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
                                A book, not a movie, but any post of baseball quotes wouldn't be complete without the last line of "Ball Four" by Jim Bouton:

"You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out it was the other way around the whole time."
                                I've always liked the line he had about Paul Richards. "Not as many people think so highly of the slip pitch as Paul Richards. Not as many people think so highly of Paul Richards as Paul Richards."
                                They may be off, but it's the idea. I'm not positive that came from Ball Four, but I'm pretty sure it did.
                                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X