No announcement yet.

best baseball movie of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must say there are some great movies listed above and several would make my list. Like listed above "Eight Men Out" was a great historical piece on a very colorful time in baseball history during the deadball era when shoeless joe, nap lajoie and ty cobb all ruled the roost. "For love of the game" despite critical condemnation I thought was a good little film which sums up a fading stars greatest moments through flashbacks during the corse of a perfect game. "Bang the Drum Slowly" was a great melodrama about a dying star and young hotshot rookie, a tearjerker your girl could enjoy. "The Sluggers Wife" while essentially an overblown "chick-flick" was a close to accurate portrayal of early 80's baseball life, a definate must rent for true baseball fans. Of course we have the much discussed "Bull Durham" which I will not elaborate on further. With all these great movies however I must say that
    "The Natural" is the best baseball movie ever.
    Yes I know it deviates from the novel, yes I know it is more fairy tale than reality but I still love it none the less. It illustrates what baseball used to be, should be and what we all want it to be...a game with good battling evil, with people who play for love of the game not money, when baseball was innocent. It also depicts a very cool period of time, the late 30's. the deadball era was dead and the era of superstars was beginning. Baseball was still a sport more than a business. Baseball was the national pastime. Football was still an amatuer sport for the most part, hockey was still largely regional and more of a canadian sport and basketball was virtually non-existant (the good old days!). It truly was a golden age for baseball and I think the movie captures all of that beautifully.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

• Top 5

5. 61*
      4. Bull Durham
      3. The Rookie
      2. Field of Dreams
      1. The Natural

Comment

• Please please, no more best baseball movie threads. Theres already like 30.
        Born True Blue

Comment

• Originally posted by ElCaminoSS
          Please please, no more best baseball movie threads. Theres already like 30.
          We can keep this one going. If there are any new ones that pop up along the way, I'll merge them. There's so much out there that could go into this forum that we don't need to keep rehashing this one subject.
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• we need another good movie to come out - boxing just scored big with cinderella man and million dollar baby - two great movies

Comment

• Originally posted by bkmckenna
              we need another good movie to come out - boxing just scored big with cinderella man and million dollar baby - two great movies
              I know "Cinderella Man" is coming out on DVD, looking foward to seeing it, I generally like Ron Howard flicks, I dunno why this died at the box office, maybe no one knows much about Jim Braddock and his rather amazing story. I saw "Million Dollar Baby" on an airline flight and I admit I have trouble paying attention to a movie on a plane, but I liked the 1st half, got bored with the 2nd part, maybe I'll give it another shot on DVD or cable.

There has been more good movies made about boxing than probably all the other sports, combined. Several reasons I think, a big one is that the set, a boxing ring, is limited and easy to duplicate, not like trying to re-create a baseball or football stadium. And in the fight scenes, you are just dealing with 2 participants, rather than 18 baseball players or 22 football players or trying to co-ordinate a lot of action on a basketball court or hockey rink. Not to mention there are some very interesting characters involved in the fight world.
              It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

• Figured I'd give this thread new breath, since I hadn't contributed to it.

My favorite "baseball movies" are, in order...

1. A League Of Their Own
                2. Eight Men Out
                3. Bad News Bears
                4. 61*
                5. Soul Of The Game
                6. Cobb
                7. Pride Of The Yankees
                8. The Stratton Story
                9. Fear Strikes Out
                10. Field Of Dreams

I've heard good things about the upcoming movie, Chasing 3000. I've also heard that Moneyball is about to go into film production.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

• Pride of the Yankees. Teresa Wright was so hot! Seriously, I am just a big Lou Gehrig fan and I enjoy reading or watching anything I can about him.

Comment

• When it comes to baseball movies, I don't trust myself to evaluate. I love 'em all. In fact the only one that seems corny and just plain bad is The Natural and I love watching it anyway. I'd mention my favorite, but every time I start typing a name, I change my mind.

Comment

• i dont know about you guys, but i hated bad news bears, i hate the fact that they were so bad, and there attitudes werent funny at all. No body was ever that bad, and i hope no kid ever emulates what they saw on that movie.

Sandlot is by far my favourite movie and i watch it a lot, i liked major league jo bu was awsome lol. there are lots i havnt seen yet, but i plan on picking them up, the natural, the rookie, i havnt seen them. i havnt seen eight men out. I also loved 61*

Comment

• Best: Pride of the Yankees

Honourable Mention: Bang the Drum Slowly

Worst: Babe Ruth Story. A travesty of a movie which by itself might have killed the Babe.

2nd worst: Well trying to answer this reminds me of the story of how the America's Cup got its name. Back during the 19th Century, there was this race between an American boat called the America and several British boats. Queen Victoria went down to the finish line to congratulate the winning British vessel. Suddenly, one of the ships came into view. Queen Victoria asked which of our ships is it? The person replied the American ship. Okay then, which of our ships is 2nd. The person held up his binoculars and said, "Your majesty, there is no 2nd."

Comment

• Originally posted by moviegeekjan View Post
                          Made for TV movie The Comrades of Summer
                          How many people have seen Comrades of Summer? Sparky Smith, manager of the Seattle Mariners. Art not imitating life. The Mariners were portrayed as some baseball heavyweight in the film. This film was shown on HBO in 1992. The Mariners had one winning season at that point and finished the '92 season with a 64-98 record.
                          The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

• Originally posted by MATHA531 View Post
                            Best: Pride of the Yankees

Honourable Mention: Bang the Drum Slowly

Worst: Babe Ruth Story. A travesty of a movie which by itself might have killed the Babe.

2nd worst: Well trying to answer this reminds me of the story of how the America's Cup got its name. Back during the 19th Century, there was this race between an American boat called the America and several British boats. Queen Victoria went down to the finish line to congratulate the winning British vessel. Suddenly, one of the ships came into view. Queen Victoria asked which of our ships is it? The person replied the American ship. Okay then, which of our ships is 2nd. The person held up his binoculars and said, "Your majesty, there is no 2nd."
                            Worst Baseball Movie - a Babe Ruth bio

2nd Worst Baseball Movie - the other Babe Ruth bio

I put Bang The Drum Slowly at #1.
                            "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

• James Horner, the composer who scored the soundtrack to Field of Dreams, has died in a single engine plane crash.
                              The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

• Anyone familiar with "The Kid From Cleveland"? Pathetic as a movie, tremendous for both Indians fans and as a an exhibit of more HOF's than any other baseball movie. Speaker, Veeck, Feller,Lemon, Satch, Boudreau and the entire '48 Indians squad. Filmed at Municipal Stadium partly and shots of Spring Training at "League Park with lots of Cleveland shots all over downtown. Also has Rusty Tamblyn (West Side Story) when he was a kid and Johnny Berardino in an acting role.
                                For those reasons it's 'on the list' along with Field of Dreams, The Sandlot, League of Their Own and Cleveland other contribution to fine cinema...Major League.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X