• Show
Clear All

61* or Pride of the Yankees for the accuracy
    The Natural for the cinemetography
    Major League for the laughs
    Bang the Drum for the tears
    When It Was A Game (Parts 1-3) for the emotion
    Field of Dreams for a little of all the above

BTW: Mr. Baseball? Seriously? With Magnum PI? Who the heck would want to watch an "anthropological study of the Japanese Baseball culture" with the guy that dated Monica?
    The Mick
    Yankees/Collectors Mod
    Last edited by The Mick; 06-28-2004, 02:43 PM.
    The Pinstripe Press
    http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/pinstripepress/

Comment

Originally posted by The Mick
      BTW: Mr. Baseball? Seriously? With Magnum PI? Who the heck would want to watch an "anthropological study of the Japanese Baseball culture" with the guy that dated Monica?
      Some of us like Friends.

Anywayyyyy,
      61*
      Sandlot
      Field of Dreams
      AL East Champions: 1981 1982
      AL Pennant: 1982
      NL Central Champions: 2011
      NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Kroxquo
        The Bad News Bears (having both coached and umpired Little League, I can tell you that this film is not entertainmnet, it is a documentary)
        True, so true Krux!

I also agree with you about Damn Yankees! being on the list. A solid movie and if you ever get the chance to see the stage production, do it! I saw it twice, once with Jerry Lewis in Walston's part as the devil (Lewis was great!) and once with Bebe Neuwirth (sp?) as Lola (WOW! That gal has some legs!).

But the best, hands down, no other baseball comedy even comes close is one I've mentioned here before: Long Gone! It preceded both Major League and Bull Durham but with far less studio hype so not many people saw it. Starred William Peterson (CSI fame), Virginia Madsen, Dermot Mulroney, Henry Gibson and the silent half of the Penn & Teller act, can never keep them straight. If you can find Long Gone!, do yourself a favor and watch it.
        Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
        Astros Daily

Comment

Originally posted by PopTop
          If you can find Long Gone!, do yourself a favor and watch it.
          A great baseball movie with the added bonus of a great Hank Williams song as you watch the credits roll.

Comment

For Love of the Game

Before I saw For Love of the Game it was Bull Durham.

Now it's For Love of the Game....it is such a great story of perseverance and overcoming adversity....plus the chick is HOT....

Major League is pretty great and I really love A League of Their Own.
            4-Man_Rotation

Comment

61* Too........

Again, it focused on the ups and downs of what was going on in the lives of The Mick and Roger Maris....alcoholism, death threats, GLORY...

Another great flick...
              4-Man_Rotation

Comment

Originally posted by The Mick
                61* or Pride of the Yankees for the accuracy
                The Natural for the cinemetography
                Major League for the laughs
                Bang the Drum for the tears
                When It Was A Game (Parts 1-3) for the emotion
                Field of Dreams for a little of all the above

Mick, those are some great emotional references.......The Pride of the Yankees with a cameo by The Babe is really a tear-jerker too......I haven't seen Bang the Drum though....I need to check that out.

RE: Mr. Baseball --- I LOVE THAT MOVIE!

I watched that movie everyday for months when it came out on tape....

(When Selleck hands out UpperDeck trading cards to Japanese businessmen) "Try not to sit on my face...."

"Gaijin strikezone is roughly the size of a Buick...."

It's a pretty good reference for Japanese Baseball too.....
                4-Man_Rotation

Comment

I never saw Mr. Baseball until a few days ago when it was on USA. After reading "You gotta have WA" I thought it was actually a very thoughtful film. Plus Tom Selleck has a pretty good swing, which I heard him say that he refined to look like a home run hitter's swing just for that movie. I think I need to go pick up the DVD of this one. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I watch "Little Big League" every time it's on. Its just entertaining, and fairly accurate- except for the hidden ball trick at the end is actually a balk.
                  "Straight ball I hit it very much, curveball, bats are afraid"

Comment

Originally posted by D-Train35
                    What was the point of Field of Dreams? I saw it many times but it really doesn't have a point. The guy builds a field. Dead players come. He goes to a couple cities. He comes back.
                    What was the point? What do you mean? Do you mean what was the plot? Well, you already answered that? Do you mean what was the moral? What do you mean?

Comment

Sandlot
                      Field of Dreams
                      The Babe
                      A league of Their Own
                      "If Heathcliff Slocumb's a closer, then I'm a chinamen"

-Harry Carrey

Comment

61* - Outstanding (but there never was an asterisk)
                        Bad News Bears - funnier than Caddyshack
                        Bull Durham - Plus: Susan Sarandon; Minus: that guy from "the Postman" and "Waterworld".

Originally posted by PopTop
                        True, so true Krux!
                        Bebe Neuwirth as Lola ](WOW! That gal has some legs
                        Mmmm.

Comment

"The Sandlot": excellent performance by a mastiff and a surprise appearance by James Earl Jones, George's friend.

Comment

what was the movie when the kid was the owner of the twins?
                            the hoagster
                            woogady woogady woogady

Comment

Originally posted by iishoagie07
                              what was the movie when the kid was the owner of the twins?
                              Little Big League
                              "It's fun, that's what it is, it's fun. Baseball is more fun than anything else. You can watch it and just love it and enjoy it. I don't think that there's anything tremendously philosophical about it. I don't think there's anything metaphysical I just think its so much fun to watch." - Robert Creamer

Comment

61*
                                A League of their own
                                The Babe
                                Major League I, II, and III
                                Field of dreams

61* - I was much impressed with
                                "First he's going, then he's staying. Why's he staying? Because I'm an idiot. Why don't we make everybody happy, let the hero stay, make the idiot go home" - Sergeant Maxwell Q. Klinger

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X