No announcement yet.

Best baseball movie of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's one no one has ever mentioned: It Happens Every Spring with Ray Milland. It's on my short list Along with 61* and Bull Durham

Comment

I once made a list of my 500 favorite movies. My top baseball movies.

1) Field of Dreams......21 overall
      2) The Natural.........58 overall
      3) 8 Men out.....319
      4) Bad News Bears.....343
      5) League of their Own.....345
      6) For the Love of the Game.....431
      7) Soul of the Game........485
      8) Major Leage...... 489
      9) Bang the Drum Slowly.....N/R
      10) Cobb..........N/R
      "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"

Gen. Patton

Comment

i gotta go with 8 men out: although it did not tell the complete story, i appreciate the historical accuracy. (i cringe when i see ray liotta in field of dreams stick his index finger out of his mitt: nobody did that back then.)

four tool's it happens every spring with ray milland is funny: a baseball that repels wood. haha.

(if you want ray milland in something not funny, try the lost weekend. he truly deserved the academy award for this performance.)
        Last edited by west coast orange and black; 08-25-2004, 02:03 AM.
        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Good point about "Eight Men Out". Additionally, John Sayles, the director, who also played the Ring Lardner-like reporter role, also took some editorial liberty with the chronology. The trial didn't happen right after the Series, it happened after the 1920 season; the "Black Sox" players all had a full year in 1920 (Cicotte had a 21 win year, Joe Jackson batted .382).
          After 1957, it seemed like we would never laugh again. Of course, we did. Its just that we were never young again.

Comment

a tip of the cap to pop top: long gone is good: it tells a dirt-kicking story of a team in the minors in a we-gotta-get-on-the-bus-again kinda way.

besides, virginia madsen's bum - nicely curved and rightly tight - is fully displayed in one scene when she is lying on a bed, if memory serves.
            "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

I didn't see a lot of movies you have mentioned, like Sandlots, Bang the drums slowly.

Here's a list of my favorites that I have seen.

1. Field of Dreams
              2. Bull Durham
              3. For love of the game
              4. Major League
              5. A league of their own
              6. The natural

I have seen a couple more of which I can't remeber the title.

The Babe is the worst baseball movie I have seen. Bad acting, bad settings.

Actually it wasn't a baseball movie, but I liked the part in the baseball stadium in Naked Gun. Baseball isn't a big sport in the Netherlands, so I was the only one in the cinema who bursted out in laughter when Lesly Nielsen took the sandpaper and other things behind the pitchers back. Hilarious!!!
              Last edited by Yankeebiscuitfan; 09-16-2004, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I'm not much on movies, but how about this one?

We see the young man pitching. Later he's maybe walking in a storm with a lunch pail. He is met on the road and he falls to his knees in tears as the storm gets worse... cut to the young man maybe pitching, we see him interact with his distillery workers. We watch him working on a railroad section gang. He joins the military. We see him pitch some more. He appears morose. What caused him to fall to his knees in that storm earlier? Later as a mid twenty year old he is sent to the majors to pay off an unpayable debt. We can follow his career with the Nats as he becomes an outfielder. People are still wondering about that opening scene. Later the attention shifts to the World Series.. Did he or didn't he make the catch? This guy can keep a secret.. Later he is showered with accolades by his team.
                Later his wife sees something in the paper and confronts him with it... Cut back to the opening scene and we learn of the tornado that killed his first wife,two kids and parents. He has hidden another secret from of all people ,his wife....You could fill it in with other baseball stuff and of course it would end with the famous letter from the grave... Wouldn't a movie on Sam Rice's life be interesting? The tragedies, the catch, the letter from the grave?

Comment

Originally posted by janduscframe
                  I'm not much on movies, but how about this one?

We see the young man pitching. Later he's maybe walking in a storm with a lunch pail. He is met on the road and he falls to his knees in tears as the storm gets worse... cut to the young man maybe pitching, we see him interact with his distillery workers. We watch him working on a railroad section gang. He joins the military. We see him pitch some more. He appears morose. What caused him to fall to his knees in that storm earlier? Later as a mid twenty year old he is sent to the majors to pay off an unpayable debt. We can follow his career with the Nats as he becomes an outfielder. People are still wondering about that opening scene. Later the attention shifts to the World Series.. Did he or didn't he make the catch? This guy can keep a secret.. Later he is showered with accolades by his team.
                  Later his wife sees something in the paper and confronts him with it... Cut back to the opening scene and we learn of the tornado that killed his first wife,two kids and parents. He has hidden another secret from of all people ,his wife....You could fill it in with other baseball stuff and of course it would end with the famous letter from the grave... Wouldn't a movie on Sam Rice's life be interesting? The tragedies, the catch, the letter from the grave?
                  Thanks for letting others know of the not so oftern remembered tradgedythat befell Same Rice. As time passes, even the World Series catch made by Rice in '25 fades from baseball lore. Have you seen the letter on display at the Hall?

In a book (Damned Senators) written by the grandson of Rice's teammate, Joe Judge, Rice is portraited as an upstanding human being, though somewhat stiff in demeanor. Probably did so to protect emotion buried within.

Comment

The Sandlot lol

[Insert Sig Here]

NO!

Comment

A League of Their Own is by far the best.

Although, I do love "The Sandlot" "The Rookie" and "Field of Dreams". LOVE Baseball movies.

But "A League of Their Own" is just...just GOOD!
                      ..::I write to express, not to impress::..

**There's no crying in baseball!**

~*Cheers*~

Comment

Here's another vote for A League of Their Own. And one for Eight Men Out.

I always found Field of Dreams and The Natural too maudlin and unrealistic. Same for Bang The Drum Slowly.

Hollywood has usually managed to capture the feel and smell of boxing, but they don't do baseball well.

Comment

The Natural

No doubt, my vote is for "The Natural". Every scene in that movie is just amazing. I can remember seeing that movie as a kid and just being blown away. So many great quotes in this movie. "Why did you stand up when i was at bat?"-- Redford. Close--"Because i didn't want to see you fail". Redford telling the evil owner the only thing he wants to do in the game that he ( The evil owner) wants him to not play in is "Hit Away". And, of course the scene in the hospital bed, when Redford explains why he wants to play then in a moment of heisitation says, " God, i love Baseball ". This was the greatest baseball movie of ALLTIME (In my opinion)!! Eight Men Out was a good movie,Field of Dreams was another good one,Cobb was great only because Tommy Lee Jones was in it. The story was fiction in my opinion. The story of Cobb I believe if properly put together by a great director and with no hint of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS could be a blockbuster. Cobb is a truly fasinating character. The worst baseball movie i've ever scene was "The Babe". But i do think Ruths story could be made into a great movie if properly done. William Lee

Comment

All of the Major League movies are really funny and i liked them alot. Field of dreams is a classic. I also enjoyed summer catch, the movie about the cape cod league. Also, one of the latest baseball movies to come out, Hustle, was very interesting and I liked watching it.
                            Last edited by Charlie Hustle 8; 09-30-2004, 08:51 PM.
                            -[]\/[] []-[]

Comment

I'd have to say Sandlot also just reminds me of a nice time in life. only differnce is we alway broke a window every year on the same lady, That was our spring to fall thing to do. I grew up in the city and we plyed in a parking lot of a closed down bank. so we played with a tennis ball most of the time bare handed thus forcing us to catch with two hands. Man our Kids are really missing something I drive by the field there are never any kids out to many freaks today for that plus now we have play dates , I remember the 1st time i heard that I didn't know what they were talking about. My feeling is anytime a movie can make you remincse on the best time in life it's gotta be worth something

Comment

the point of field of dreams was that kevin costner wanted his dad to come back so he could see him and he plays catch with him at the end of the movie

you have to read the book before you see the natural, or you won't like the movie

my vote goes as follows:

1) 61*
                                2) Field of Dreams
                                3) The Natural
                                4) Major League
                                5) Sandlot
                                "Did they tell me how to pitch to (Ted) Williams? Sure they did. It was great advice, very encouraging. They said he had no weakness, won't swing at a bad ball, has the best eyes in the business, and can kill you with one swing. He won't hit anything bad, but don't give him anything good." - Bobby Shantz

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X