X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossblock
    replied
    Originally posted by D-Train35 View Post
    What do you think the greatest baseball movie of all time is? Personally, I like "The Sandlot". Some other good ones are: "The Rookie", "Eight Men Out", and "Major League".
    I don't know if this would be a great Movie, but I enjoyed it when I saw it Years Ago, "The Monte Stratton Story". He was a pitcher with the White Sox in the 1940's. During the Off season while at home, he went hunting the gun went off unexpectedly and severely injured his leg. He had to have an Artificial Leg attached, but he tried to Comeback and pitch.

One that is a little quirky is "Safe at Home". It was made after the 1961 Season and featured Maris and Mantle, The basic plot was a Young Boy wanted to meet them and get their Autographs. He ran away from Home and found his way to Fort Lauderdale where the Yankees held Spring Training, He met the Players and was reunited with his Family. The Movie was more of a PR thing for Mantle and Maris following the big 1961 Season.

Leave a comment:

• Eyeshade
    replied
    Anyone familiar with "The Kid From Cleveland"? Pathetic as a movie, tremendous for both Indians fans and as a an exhibit of more HOF's than any other baseball movie. Speaker, Veeck, Feller,Lemon, Satch, Boudreau and the entire '48 Indians squad. Filmed at Municipal Stadium partly and shots of Spring Training at "League Park with lots of Cleveland shots all over downtown. Also has Rusty Tamblyn (West Side Story) when he was a kid and Johnny Berardino in an acting role.
    For those reasons it's 'on the list' along with Field of Dreams, The Sandlot, League of Their Own and Cleveland other contribution to fine cinema...Major League.

Leave a comment:

• Phantom Dreamer
    replied
    James Horner, the composer who scored the soundtrack to Field of Dreams, has died in a single engine plane crash.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    Originally posted by MATHA531 View Post
    Best: Pride of the Yankees

Honourable Mention: Bang the Drum Slowly

Worst: Babe Ruth Story. A travesty of a movie which by itself might have killed the Babe.

2nd worst: Well trying to answer this reminds me of the story of how the America's Cup got its name. Back during the 19th Century, there was this race between an American boat called the America and several British boats. Queen Victoria went down to the finish line to congratulate the winning British vessel. Suddenly, one of the ships came into view. Queen Victoria asked which of our ships is it? The person replied the American ship. Okay then, which of our ships is 2nd. The person held up his binoculars and said, "Your majesty, there is no 2nd."
    Worst Baseball Movie - a Babe Ruth bio

2nd Worst Baseball Movie - the other Babe Ruth bio

I put Bang The Drum Slowly at #1.

Leave a comment:

• Phantom Dreamer
    replied
    Originally posted by moviegeekjan View Post
    Made for TV movie The Comrades of Summer
    How many people have seen Comrades of Summer? Sparky Smith, manager of the Seattle Mariners. Art not imitating life. The Mariners were portrayed as some baseball heavyweight in the film. This film was shown on HBO in 1992. The Mariners had one winning season at that point and finished the '92 season with a 64-98 record.

Leave a comment:

• MATHA531
    replied
    Best: Pride of the Yankees

Honourable Mention: Bang the Drum Slowly

Worst: Babe Ruth Story. A travesty of a movie which by itself might have killed the Babe.

2nd worst: Well trying to answer this reminds me of the story of how the America's Cup got its name. Back during the 19th Century, there was this race between an American boat called the America and several British boats. Queen Victoria went down to the finish line to congratulate the winning British vessel. Suddenly, one of the ships came into view. Queen Victoria asked which of our ships is it? The person replied the American ship. Okay then, which of our ships is 2nd. The person held up his binoculars and said, "Your majesty, there is no 2nd."

Leave a comment:

• MarinersFan51
    replied
    i dont know about you guys, but i hated bad news bears, i hate the fact that they were so bad, and there attitudes werent funny at all. No body was ever that bad, and i hope no kid ever emulates what they saw on that movie.

Sandlot is by far my favourite movie and i watch it a lot, i liked major league jo bu was awsome lol. there are lots i havnt seen yet, but i plan on picking them up, the natural, the rookie, i havnt seen them. i havnt seen eight men out. I also loved 61*

Leave a comment:

• Havana Slim
    replied
    When it comes to baseball movies, I don't trust myself to evaluate. I love 'em all. In fact the only one that seems corny and just plain bad is The Natural and I love watching it anyway. I'd mention my favorite, but every time I start typing a name, I change my mind.

Leave a comment:

• steelcurtain76
    replied
    Pride of the Yankees. Teresa Wright was so hot! Seriously, I am just a big Lou Gehrig fan and I enjoy reading or watching anything I can about him.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Figured I'd give this thread new breath, since I hadn't contributed to it.

My favorite "baseball movies" are, in order...

1. A League Of Their Own
    2. Eight Men Out
    3. Bad News Bears
    4. 61*
    5. Soul Of The Game
    6. Cobb
    7. Pride Of The Yankees
    8. The Stratton Story
    9. Fear Strikes Out
    10. Field Of Dreams

I've heard good things about the upcoming movie, Chasing 3000. I've also heard that Moneyball is about to go into film production.

Leave a comment:

• 64Cards
    replied
    Originally posted by bkmckenna
    we need another good movie to come out - boxing just scored big with cinderella man and million dollar baby - two great movies
    I know "Cinderella Man" is coming out on DVD, looking foward to seeing it, I generally like Ron Howard flicks, I dunno why this died at the box office, maybe no one knows much about Jim Braddock and his rather amazing story. I saw "Million Dollar Baby" on an airline flight and I admit I have trouble paying attention to a movie on a plane, but I liked the 1st half, got bored with the 2nd part, maybe I'll give it another shot on DVD or cable.

There has been more good movies made about boxing than probably all the other sports, combined. Several reasons I think, a big one is that the set, a boxing ring, is limited and easy to duplicate, not like trying to re-create a baseball or football stadium. And in the fight scenes, you are just dealing with 2 participants, rather than 18 baseball players or 22 football players or trying to co-ordinate a lot of action on a basketball court or hockey rink. Not to mention there are some very interesting characters involved in the fight world.

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    we need another good movie to come out - boxing just scored big with cinderella man and million dollar baby - two great movies

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by ElCaminoSS
    Please please, no more best baseball movie threads. Theres already like 30.
    We can keep this one going. If there are any new ones that pop up along the way, I'll merge them. There's so much out there that could go into this forum that we don't need to keep rehashing this one subject.

Leave a comment:

• ElCaminoSS
    replied
    Please please, no more best baseball movie threads. Theres already like 30.

Leave a comment:

• The Semi-Natural
    replied
    Top 5

5. 61*
    4. Bull Durham
    3. The Rookie
    2. Field of Dreams
    1. The Natural

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse