Season Ticket by Roger Angell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Ticket by Roger Angell

Has anybody read this book? I got it at a garage sale, but haven't gotten around to reading it. Any thoughts or opinions? Should I demand a full refund of my 60 cents that I spent?

Angel is one of the most entertaining baseball writers you'll ever come across. Read it now!

Comment

Great book. I need to reread it sometime.

Comment

All of Roger's books are worth 10 times their weight in gold.
        3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"Because as I learned in my years covering Frank McCourt: MLB owners do not see themselves as stewards of the national pastime. They see their teams as their property they can light on fire if they so choose." - Molly Knight

Comment

I've been having a hard time trying to track down anything by Angell at the library and the area book stores. Looks like I may have to buy online. Sounds like this author delivers some really good books.
          My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
            I've been having a hard time trying to track down anything by Angell at the library and the area book stores. Looks like I may have to buy online. Sounds like this author delivers some really good books.
            I have found a lot of his books at yard sales etc. I highly recommend his work.
            http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

He's my favorite baseball author. All of Angell's work is terrific. He was a beat writer for New Yorker magazine and had several baseball articles included in that. One of his books summarizes these articles, but I have forgotten which. Here is a list of the 4 Angell books that I remember reading:

The Summer Game (1972?)
              Five Seasons (1978)
              Late Innings (1982?)
              Season Ticket (late 1980s?)
              Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

I got a couple of his books for fifty cents each at a library sale. Good hardbacks with plastic jackets, strong stitching, nothing wrong with the inside either.

Great deal for me, but I'm mystified that the library was getting rid of them...

Comment

Angell is a wonderful writer who doesn't mind long sentences, digressions, stats or stories. It just comes together beautifully. He's a must read for any baseball fan.

Wow. I sound like a professional blurb writer!

Comment

Angell is a very smooth and compelling writer. I thought that some of his early treatments of ballplayers bordered on hagiography, but he got a little tougher on the guys as time went on.
                    His account of watching an amazing college game featuring Frank Viola and Ron Darling as opposing starters while in the company of Smokey Joe Wood is transcendent.
                    "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                      Angell is a very smooth and compelling writer. I thought that some of his early treatments of ballplayers bordered on hagiography, but he got a little tougher on the guys as time went on.
                      This is something I can agree with, but its also why I look forward to rereading his books someday. I would love to read about baseball without the negative perspective brought in from today's authors and columnists. If Angell writes about baseball with rose-tinted glasses, so to speak, what a refreshing change of pace it is!
                      Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

I picked this book up at the discount table at my favorite used book store, the cover was partially removed, probably to mark it as a remainder.

Haven't read it yet, but the endorsements on this thread compel me to move it up on my To Read list.

I subscribe to the New Yorker, which Angell does contribute to, and have always enjoyed his stuff there.
                        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
                          This is something I can agree with, but its also why I look forward to rereading his books someday. I would love to read about baseball without the negative perspective brought in from today's authors and columnists. If Angell writes about baseball with rose-tinted glasses, so to speak, what a refreshing change of pace it is!
                          Angell's writing and approach are sophisticated, but he is not about digging up dirt, like a lot of modern sports writing. The world that he creates has something of a gloss to it, but it's still a lot like the real world...just not quite as gritty.
                          Reading him is refreshing...I need to dig out some of his stuff and reread it!
                          "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                            His account of watching an amazing college game featuring Frank Viola and Ron Darling as opposing starters while in the company of Smokey Joe Wood is transcendent.
                            When my dad was dying, I would read Roger Angell to him, both his baseball stuff and excerpts from his memoirs. It was sort of a way for us to talk about looking back on life. The Viola-Darling game turned out to be the last piece I read to him. He'd played freshman ball at Yale in '33, so I thought he'd enjoy it. There's also something about the way the past lives in the present that seemed appropriate. When I finished he said, "I was at that game."
                            Last edited by highpockets; 09-19-2008, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
                              He's my favorite baseball author. All of Angell's work is terrific. He was a beat writer for New Yorker magazine and had several baseball articles included in that. One of his books summarizes these articles, but I have forgotten which. Here is a list of the 4 Angell books that I remember reading:

The Summer Game (1972?)
                              Five Seasons (1978)
                              Late Innings (1982?)
                              Season Ticket (late 1980s?)
                              For some reason, I really have the urge to reread Angell's books to prepare for the season, so I order the above books, used, off Amazon for $20.00. I remember reading them when they all first came out, and how they influenced, and still influence, how I look at baseball. Just wonderful reads, and such a graceful writer.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X