Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 best baseball songs

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...all-songs.html
    Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

No mention of Fogarty's Centerfield :grouchy
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
      No mention of Fogarty's Centerfield :grouchy
      Actually, it's in the headline. That's the point. Like listing the ten best baseball players (besides Babe Ruth). Most of those songs are obscure, meaning sometimes we need to look past the obvious.

As a non-Beatles fan (or, someone not entirely enamored of them) don't you find opportunities to look past the overly popular a good thing?
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
        Actually, it's in the headline. That's the point. Like listing the ten best baseball players (besides Babe Ruth). Most of those songs are obscure, meaning sometimes we need to look past the obvious.

As a non-Beatles fan (or, someone not entirely enamored of them) don't you find opportunities to look past the overly popular a good thing?
        Sorry, missed that (but Springsteen's isn't obscure). Wish they'd put links to sound clips
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

As the anonymous commenter on the linked page pointed out, there are scads of great baseball songs on the Diamond Cuts series, only a handful of which are readily available anywhere else.

Seriously, if you don't know this series, you're missing out. I don't like every track, but every volume includes at least one cut that's worth the price on its own.

See also Chuck Brodsky's Baseball Ballads... sound clips on this page.
          Last edited by Pere; 08-05-2008, 02:16 PM.

Comment

'You Play On A Softball Team' by A.C.

Comment

"Take me out to the ballgame" anyone? I guess that's more of a fun little ballad.

Too bad "Casey at the bat" was never made into a good song.
              "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

This one is good!

Comment

Very cool site, spark240. I could go broke in a hurry... :cap:

That "Top Ten" list was in my paper this morning. Not very scholarly...
                  Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Comment

"Talkin' Baseball", anyone?

Comment

Most definitely -- that should be a Top Ten, ipitch. We could compile a much better list than the one I posted!

Comment

Baseball Music Rules

Initially, thank you starting the post...

Baseball music is indeed special and the top ten is purely opinionated..for me it's what the song does for me...how memories are resurfaced..like John McCutcheon's World Series '57...

There are some songs on the list and some honorable mentions that I have not heard or were aware.

I started a thread call Baseball Music Rules...

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=45269V

If anyone has the time, energy or desire...please add to the thread with a link
                        to a possilbe sound track or bite. I will then add to the masterlist on the first page.
                        Family Autograph Thread
                        http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=75871

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                          Sorry, missed that (but Springsteen's isn't obscure). Wish they'd put links to sound clips
                          Right, thus the qualifier most. The Les Brown song was really popular, too.

That list isn't scholarly? It goes the extra mile to find stuff you likely had not heard of. I'd say a list of top 10 songs that includes something everyone knows would not be scholarly.
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

kearns643 -- I hope your thread avoids the pruners. I want to study it! Great stuff to be found there.

It would be impossible to choose one all-time best baseball song. Saying the '27 Yankees were the best all-time team is easy, but choosing the best song is way too objective. Still, the crowning of the "best" would be an interesting journey...

Comment

Once you start digging, it turns out that baseball music is just a rich vein of treasures. Selecting out ten "bests" is like selecting out the best love songs ever--it mostly depends on your personal experiences and what resonates for you.

Just as the baseball literature and the baseball filmography dwarf the combined literature and filmography of other sports, so too does the baseball songbook. Can you name ten hockey movies, good or bad? Maybe... How about ten golf songs? :cap:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X