10 best baseball songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dgarza View Post
    He just made those lyrics up to show that the song wasn't "about" baseball, that anything could fill those bars.l
    Ah, like his baseball version of GhostRiders in the Sky.

Which I think is great, btw.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Cheap Seats by Alabama
      Baseball Journeyman

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan View Post

Who in the world figured that one out?

That's as silly as me realizing you can sing "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer"
        to the tune of "Hang Down Your Head, Tom Dooley" and vice-versa.

That would be me. Thank you very much. You set the bar pretty high.

[With all due respect to SteveJ, I like singing the original lyrics just fine.]

Comment

...or "Rudolph..." to "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida."
          Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
            "Take me out to the ballgame" anyone? I guess that's more of a fun little ballad.

Too bad "Casey at the bat" was never made into a good song.
            Did you know that "Take Me out To The Ballgame" was the answer by a girl who loved baseball, to her boyfriend when he asked what she would like to do? And that there are two versions?

Bob

Comment

Yes. The "Katie Casey" original and "Nelly Kelly" in 1927. There's a great picture of Jack Norworth's original notes in some book I have. Norworth, who hadn't even seen a Major League baseball game, wrote down the words after seeing an advertisement on a subway car for the New York Giants. The words and lines he x'ed out are still visible. For example, two lines to the introduction that in the 1908 version looked like this...

"On a Saturday her young beau
              Called to see if she'd like to go"

Started out as this...

"On a Saturday her friend Joe
              Asked to see if she'd like to go"

He didn't change much more, though. Interestingly, in the 1927 (and more obscure) version, we see "Joe" revived. Further, BOTH versions use the correct phrase "buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack," as opposed to the incorrect but now oft-repeated "Cracker Jacks." Very interesting reading the history of that song.
              "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
              -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Such an innocent song... And here's to Katie & Nellie! Chicks dig baseball.
                Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
                  Ummmm, baseball isn't the theme of "Glory Days". Its said really in passing and could very well have been:

"I had a friend, used to be a big football player, back in High School.
                  Great linebacker, he made the quaterback look like a fool boy"
                  Nah, Bruce wouldn't make it a football song.

Comment

Well, at least "fool boy" remained the same... He was pushing his new album; guess he thought he'd pander to the crowd a bit. It was still the best halftime show I've seen in a Stupor Bowl

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
                      Ummmm, baseball isn't the theme of "Glory Days". Its said really in passing and could very well have been:

"I had a friend, used to be a big football player, back in High School.
                      Great linebacker, he made the quaterback look like a fool boy"

Does two lines really make a song about something? The point of the song is someone still stuck in that past, not the past itself.
                      Watch the video for "Glory Days" on youtube. It shows The Boss pitching on a sandlot and makes reference to Graig Nettles. I'd call it a baseball song.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJourneyman View Post
                        Cheap Seats by Alabama
                        I too am a big fan of that one.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X