Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baseball references in non-baseball films

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Baseball references in non-baseball films

    Crappy film but in Righteous Kill Ted Williams, the infield fly rule & the NY Mets get a mention.

    Any other non-sports specific flicks which mention baseball?

  • #2
    In Good Will Hunting, the Robin Williams character regaled about how he missed the Carlton Fisk home run in the '75 World Series because he wanted to hit on the woman he would eventually marry.

    Not a movie, but on a very special episode of Happy Days Howard and his brother didn't get along because they were on opposite sides of the Ted Williams/Joe DiMaggio best of all-time debate. Fonzie settled the argument by merely mentioning Willie Mays. And, Howard mentioned how Babe Ruth was his favorite player a couple of times. Which makes one wonder why he backed DiMaggio in the all-time best debate.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
      Not a movie, but on a very special episode of Happy Days Howard and his brother didn't get along because they were on opposite sides of the Ted Williams/Joe DiMaggio best of all-time debate. Fonzie settled the argument by merely mentioning Willie Mays. And, Howard mentioned how Babe Ruth was his favorite player a couple of times. Which makes one wonder why he backed DiMaggio in the all-time best debate.
      If we're including TV then Briscoe & Green in Law & Order are always shooting the breeze about those Mets.

      Comment


      • #4
        In The Godfather, Carlo Rizzi is discussing bets on baseball games shortly before receiving a severe beating from Sonny Corleone. Later, Sonny has a baseball game on the radio when he is assasinated on the causeway.

        Comment


        • #5
          One flew over the Cuckoos Nest - Randall McMurty nearly starts a riot so he and the other patients can listen to a world series game on the radio.

          It could happen to you - Lotto Winning cop Nicolas Cage brings a bunch of kids to play at Yankee Stadium.

          Die Hard 3 - Sam Jackson follows a clue to Yankee Stadium

          The Dream Team - Michael Keaton as a psychologist or psychatrist i dont remember which, tries takes a bunch of patients to a Yankees game.

          A Bronx Tale - C takes with his father about baseball alot until Sonny asks him who is hero is and C replies Mickey Mantle to which Sonny replies "what the hell as Mickey Mantle ever done for you"

          Life - escaped convicts Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawerence celebrate by watching a Yankee game.
          Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Biggtone23 View Post

            It could happen to you - Lotto Winning cop Nicolas Cage brings a bunch of kids to play at Yankee Stadium.

            Die Hard 3 - Sam Jackson follows a clue to Yankee Stadium

            The Dream Team - Michael Keaton as a psychologist or psychatrist i dont remember which, tries takes a bunch of patients to a Yankees game.

            A Bronx Tale - C takes with his father about baseball alot until Sonny asks him who is hero is and C replies Mickey Mantle to which Sonny replies "what the hell as Mickey Mantle ever done for you"

            Life - escaped convicts Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawerence celebrate by watching a Yankee game.
            On a Bronx Bombers tip there's also Sean Connery in Finding Forrester visiting Yankee Stadium on a valedictory basis.

            Comment


            • #7
              12 Angry Men -- Jack Warden as the juror who wants to wrap things up early because he's got tickets

              The Untouchables -- Robert De Niro as Al Capone: "You know what I like? Baseball!"

              The Warriors -- James Remar as Ajax vs. the Baseball Furies.

              Comment


              • #8
                Just off the top of my head...

                Originally posted by Biggtone23 View Post
                One flew over the Cuckoos Nest - Randall McMurty nearly starts a riot so he and the other patients can listen to a world series game on the radio.
                The Yankees did a lot better in his recreation than they really did in the '63 Series

                The thing in Finding Forrester was about him spending time with his brother, watching DiMaggio. That's a wonderful scene.



                A Giants game at Candlestick (when it still had turf) was a plot point in the Dirty Harry movie The Enforcer.

                Hal Holbrook and Michael Douglas go to a Braves-Dodgers game at Dodger Stadium in The Star Chamber.

                Ferris, Sloane and Cameron go to Wrigley while ditching school in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

                Harvey Keitel's crooked detective character loses money he can't afford to lose on a fictional Mets-Dodgers NLCS in Bad Lieutenant.

                Scheider and Lithgow pass the time before making their dangerous maneuver by talking about the best ballparks to see a game and the details of what to put on a hot dog in 2010. I used to have Roy's line about Yankee Stadium dogs in my signature line.
                3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

                "All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think the climatic scene at the end of The Naked Gun, which takes place at an Angels-Mariners game (but filmed at Dodger Stadium), is classic.

                  "Hey! Look! It's Enrico Pallazzo!"

                  "ENRICO PALLAZZO!!! ENRICO PALLAZZO!!!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The Odd Couple -- Oscar is covering a game when he gets a call from Felix, causing Oscar to miss seeing a triple play. Robert Clemente turned down the part of the batter, because he didn't want to hit into a triple play in the staged play. Bill Mazeroski was second choice.

                    The Best Years of Our LIves -- The three stars of the film are servicemen returning to the same town after WWII. They all share a taxi ride near the beginning and drive past a ballpark. They talk briefly about the team.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just seen an episode of Law & Order: SVU set on Hart's Island where the Ebbets Field bleachers get a mention.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                        The Warriors -- James Remar as Ajax vs. the Baseball Furies.
                        Waaaaaarrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiioooooooooooorrrrrrrrrs sssssssssssssssss!
                        Come out and PLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!
                        NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                        Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                        Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The 1969 Mets feature as a plot point in Frequency.

                          The Chicago Cubs will FINALLY win the World Series in 2015, well according to Back To The Future II.

                          Talking Happy Days? You must also bring up another classic 70s show set in the 50s with M*A*S*H*'s Klinger often waxing nostalgic of his Toledo Mudhens. It even got to the point where the Mudhens sent "Klinger" a care package "through time" and Jamie Farr wore the gear on the show.
                          NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                          Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                          Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
                            Waaaaaarrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiioooooooooooorrrrrrrrrs sssssssssssssssss!
                            Come out and PLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!
                            Luther!!
                            3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

                            "All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Macker View Post
                              The Odd Couple -- Oscar is covering a game when he gets a call from Felix, causing Oscar to miss seeing a triple play. Robert Clemente turned down the part of the batter, because he didn't want to hit into a triple play in the staged play. Bill Mazeroski was second choice.
                              That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.
                              Actually Clemente DID try to hit into a triple play. He was too fast and kept beating the throw to first. After a few takes and Clemente slowing down to what appeared to be a near snail's pace, he was replaced by Maz who got it in one take.

                              Another baseball reference in The Godfather: From Part II

                              Hyman Roth and Michael Corleone discuss business while a ballgame is on tv. Roth comments:
                              I loved baseball ever since Arnold Rothstien fixed the World Series in 1919.
                              If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X