Baseball references in non-baseball films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I loved baseball ever since Arnold Rothstein fixed the 1919 World Series."
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• In Ted, there are several scenes at Fenway Park.
      The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

• In 1877, Tom Cruise teaches Samurai boys how to hit a baseball in Last Samurai. Or was it the other way around?
        "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
        "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• Parental Guidance is a family movie starring Billy Cristal who is playing as a minor league baseball announcer. He shows his grandson footage of the 1956 NL game with Bobby Thompson hitting the shot heard around the world. This motivated Billy to pursue a career in announcing. The highlight of the movie is his grandson's perfect rendition of the announcer's call when Thompson hit the famous home run.

This is a good movie to watch with young kids or grandkids and co-stars Bette Midler and Marisa Tomei.
          "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
          "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyK View Post
            Parental Guidance is a family movie starring Billy Cristal who is playing as a minor league baseball announcer. He shows his grandson footage of the 1956 NL game with Bobby Thompson hitting the shot heard around the world. This motivated Billy to pursue a career in announcing. The highlight of the movie is his grandson's perfect rendition of the announcer's call when Thompson hit the famous home run.

This is a good movie to watch with young kids or grandkids and co-stars Bette Midler and Marisa Tomei.
            It's not easy to watch a movie with Bette Midler. It does sound watchable though.
            "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• In the TV show Revolution in a post apocalyptic world with no electrical power, the heros enter Chicago and pass the ruins of Wrigley Field. This is the original shot, they edited out the "2012 World Champs" when the episode aired.

wrigley_revolution.jpg

cubs20121.jpg
              unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
              unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
              unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Tadasimha View Post
                In the premiere episode of "Elementary" (an American based version of "Sherlock"), Lucy Liu's Watson insists Holmes watch the Mets-Reds game with her. I'm not sure from what year the game is but Brandon Phillips is the 2nd baseman and I believe the pitcher was Bronson Arroyo.

Holmes states he enjoys the game but proceeds to tell Watson exactly how the game will end based upon his observance of the field. Naturally, it turns out that way.
                There was an article on this from Baseball Prospectus:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=19397
                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Dont think its been mentioned (tried a keyword search for it), but in Robocop Clarence Boddicker states that "The Tigers are playing tonight, I never miss a game"
                  unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                  unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                  unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

• Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                    Dont think its been mentioned (tried a keyword search for it), but in Robocop Clarence Boddicker states that "The Tigers are playing tonight, I never miss a game"
                    I've tried the same thing, but the list is so long I don't bother going thru it all.

Anyway, I was watching American President last night (Michael Douglas) and there were two such references. First one, he says "Let's keep our eye on the ball, people" and later says "they're trying to get us to swing at pitches in the dirt" - paraphrased.
                    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• Not sure this has been mentioned yet, but how about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? When Jack Nicholson's character is trying to stage a protest to watch the World Series instead of doing chores.

And of course Ferris Bueller's Day Off when Ferris, Cameron and Sloane make a stop to watch the Cubbies at Wrigley Field.
                      Favorite players past/present: Cal Ripken, Jr., Chipper Jones, Adam Jones, Javy Lopez, Josh Hamilton, Mike Piazza

Harry Doyle: "And for the Indians, that's one run on, let's see...one hit? That's all we got? One godd**n hit?!"
                      Monty: "You can't say godd**n on the air!"
                      Harry Doyle: "Don't worry, nobody's listening anyways."
                      ~Major League (1989)~

sigpic

Comment

• One of the episodes of Car 54, Where Are You that MeTV showed early Sunday morning featured the big case of the year for Toody and Muldoon. They freed Yogi Berra after he got trapped in his bathroom.
                        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• I remember an episode of "The Munsters" where Herman tries out for the L.A. Dodgers. No one has mentioned the "Simpsons" episode with Griffey Jr., Boggs, Sax, Clemens, O. Smith, Scioscia, Mattingly, and Strawberry play for the nuclear plant's softball team. In the same episode, Mr. Burns presented a chart showing which "ringers" he wanted on the team, mentioning Three Finger Brown, Cap Anson, and Honus Wagner, and seemed crushed when Smithers reminded him those players were dead. Last, there is the movie "Strategic Air Command" starring Jimmy Stewart as a player for the Cardinals in his prime recalled to active duty with the Air Force.
                          "Last season, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!" -Jack Eliot

Comment

• In an episode of Criminal Minds they have a 1959 Nellie Fox baseball card as a clue (and described as the favorite player/team/year of one of the BAU agents).

Been watching old Law and Order episodes, and in season 4 Keith Hernandez is interviewed by a female DA assistant in an episode revolving around the death of the father of a fictional baseball player. The detectives Logan and Briscoe discuss how this player hit for the cycle off Clemens, but dropped 2 balls in RF ("All bat and no glove").

I know there is an episode later too where the killer is a star baseball player (fictional again), and I think they bring up either Mets or Yankees as comparisons to him (can't remember which NY team the guy was supposed to have played for in that episode).

Of course there was Tony Danza's character, Tony, in Who's the Boss. Tony was a former St. Louis Cardinal 2Bman, and in one episode his softball team needs another player. Tony goes to the bleachers to ask if anyone wants to play, and there are a couple guys (nerdy looking and playing chess on the bleachers...) and one of the guys says he'll play - it was Steve Sax, circa 1986 or so when Sax was right up there in the batting race. Sax admits he isn't a ballplayer, but a musician. Tony asks him what his name is and he replies "Steve." Tony then asks, wait for it, what instrument he plays and of course the answer was "The sax." Clever, eh!?! Hilarity ensues and they win, I think. With Tony and Steve playing a role in the future dialog of the scene. Been 25-27 years or so since I saw that episode as a kid.
                            "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• Just saw another early episode of Law and Order last night (#107 I think it was) where in the office of a doctor there were big posters of Bobby Bonilla (Mets) and Don Mattingly (Yankees) while in swings/stance, along with I believe it was Patrick Ewing and I caught a glimpse of a Rangers' goalie too.

I also remembered an old 1980s episode of MacGyver that had Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford playing ball (softball maybe, or a slow adult baseball if not softball). I think Mickey crushed one, but it has been a while since I saw it. Ford also batted and I believe he too knocked one in. Either in that episode or another one, a guy that was in the witness protection program was coaching a baseball team, and his young star pitcher working on getting a rotation spot pitched to and struck out Henry Aaron. Both of these episodes were probably mid-late 80s (1986 or 1987 maybe at the latest I think).

I think someone here already mentioned Don Drysdale on the Brady Bunch when he was helping one of the boys learn to pitch (Greg maybe).
                              "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• How about the episode of Mister Ed when Ed tries out for the Dodgers. He hits an inside-the-park home run off Sandy Koufax (holding the bat with his mouth) and slides into home plate. Leo Durocher says, "That's the smartest horse I ever saw." Wilbur replies, "Oh, he's not so smart. He missed second base."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X