No announcement yet.

Baseball references in non-baseball films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a episode of "The White Shadow" A very corny tv show from the late 70's and early 80's, one of the kids was talking about Herb Score, Tony C and some other baseball player who had a career derailed by injuries.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• The Great Dimaggio in Dinky Doughnuts?

Is he a dunker?

"I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
      -Casey Stengel

Comment

• A little surprised I haven't seen any mention of the Wrigley Field bit from The Blues Brothers.

Jake: How are you gonna get the band back together, Mr. Hot Rodder? Those cops have your name, your address...

Elwood: They don't have my address. I falsified my renewal. I put down 1060 West Addison.

Jake: 1060 West Addison? That's Wrigley Field
        Remember, fans. This exciting moment is brought to you by Month Old Franks. The hot dogs with experience.

Comment

• Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread or not but there was a discussion about Gus Triandos in series three of The Wire.
          RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• Originally posted by brewcrew82 View Post
            Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread or not but there was a discussion about Gus Triandos in series three of The Wire.
            That wasn't mentioned. I need to watch that show too. Do you remember why he was mentioned. I would guess it's because of his Baltimore ties. I can't see how that show can possibly be better than Breaking Bad either but alot of people still say it's better.
            "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
              That wasn't mentioned. I need to watch that show too. Do you remember why he was mentioned. I would guess it's because of his Baltimore ties. I can't see how that show can possibly be better than Breaking Bad either but alot of people still say it's better.
              I haven't watched Breaking Bad. The Wire was incredible, a higher octane version of Homicide: Life on the Street, which is probably my favorite network show ever.

I vageuly recall the Triandos reference, but can't quite place it.
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                I haven't watched Breaking Bad. The Wire was incredible, a higher octane version of Homicide: Life on the Street, which is probably my favorite network show ever.
                My already healthy respect for your taste and judgment grows again.

It involves the Olson twins. It's not really for the squeamish.

McNulty and Bunk take their kids to Camden Yards in one episode, mainly so McNutty can spy on his ex-wife. '04 or so, because I can remember Javy Lopez batting for the O's.

Originally posted by MBH88 View Post
                A little surprised I haven't seen any mention of the Wrigley Field bit from The Blues Brothers.

Jake: How are you gonna get the band back together, Mr. Hot Rodder? Those cops have your name, your address...

Elwood: They don't have my address. I falsified my renewal. I put down 1060 West Addison.

Jake: 1060 West Addison? That's Wrigley Field
                The Illinois Nazis aren't very happy when they show up there and don't find Elwood.
                Attached Files
                3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

There's actually a baseball reference in Breaking Bad with Derek Jeter. I don't wanna go off topic too much but I doubt I will ever watch a show better than Breaking Bad. I am going to watch The Wire because i've never heard a bad thing about it but I just can't see how it could be better than Breaking Bad. I must admit if they used Gus Triandos as a reference in The Wire then that must be a pretty deep type of show. I just wish Netflix had The Wire.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                    Having seen all of Breaking Bad, and most of The Wire, I urgently recommend you both to check them out ASAP. The best two television series ever, in my opinion. The Wire is very gritty and realistic, Breaking Bad requires a little more suspension of disbelief, but it's worth it. As intense as anything I ever saw on TV.
                    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
                      It involves the Olson twins. It's not really for the squeamish.

McNulty and Bunk take their kids to Camden Yards in one episode, mainly so McNutty can spy on his ex-wife. '04 or so, because I can remember Javy Lopez batting for the O's.
                      McNulty also tests his kids on the Orioles roster in the first series too.

sox1173, I'll echo everyone else's recommendation on The Wire, the best cop show ever made.
                      RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• Just saw an old episode of Quincy (1978 or so) with Jack Klugman as the LA medical examiner that solves cases like a detective. Yeah, a little out there. Anyway, he was arguing with his boss and started rattling off names of old baseball players, the first of which was Joe DiMaggio, and he said some more, Mantle I believe, from the 1940s and 1950s. My wife starting talking at the same time, and I missed the other names they started talking about and they ended up smiling together. Ah, wives...
                        "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• Recently reminded of an out of left field reference on a TV show.

On the TV show FRIENDS Ross and Rachel are at a party at their parent's house, and their father asks about the whereabouts of his Harmon Killebrew bat is, and that his friend doesn't believe he has one. Later he shows up with it, but immediately Ross takes it from him, as it was just found out that his long time friend is in fact sleeping with his daughter.

Just an odd reference due to the show takes place in New York City.
                          NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                          Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                          Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

• Reggie Jackson's appearance on Diff'rent Strokes.

The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

• This week's Person of Interest TV show had Jim Caviezel ask a boy being held hostage to close his eyes and picture hitting a baseball while Jim was defusing a bomb behind the boy. A 911 operator had spent most of the episode trying to save the boy's life. Jim surprised the 911 operator by taking her over to a park so she could see who she had helped save on the phone. The boy was playing baseball and got a solid hit when he was at bat. A nice touch and a terrific episode.
                              "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                              "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• Orange is the New Black which is a show aired on Netflix made a reference to Alex Rodriguez in season 2.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X