No announcement yet.

Baseball references in non-baseball films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice touch of irony here: there was a guy named Jack Reed who played for several seasons for the Yankees in the early 1960s. He was a reserve outfielder. His biggest moment was a home run to win a 22-inning game with the Detroit Tigers in 1962.

Comment

• In Martian Child John Cusack (Eight Men Out fame) plays a science fiction writer who is a widower. He adopts a young boy who claims to be from Mars. They go to a minor league game and the boy uses his powers to help the local club. He claims he helped one batter to get a hit and at Cusack's request he helped the next batter hit a home run.

Had this been a baseball movie the boy would have led the team to a minor league title. Cusack does teach the boy how to hit a baseball.
      "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
      "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• Don't know if I replied here years ago but here it is again:

In an episode of The Shield one of the suspects was named Fleet or Fleetwood Walker.

In a Law & Order episode Fred Thompson mentioned (erroneously btw) that Bob Gibson threw a spitter. As a aside, I just saw a PBS Watergate special and saw a young Thompson questioning a witness.

Still like the Seinfeld episode where Elaine wears an Orioles cap in the Yankees owner's box.

Magnum PI used to wear a Tigers cap in many episodes.
        Last edited by Brian McKenna; 08-12-2014, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian McKenna View Post
          Don't know if I replied here years ago but here it is again:
          Magnum PI used to wear a Tigers cap in many episodes.
          Not sure if this has ever been touched on, but the character Thomas Magnum was born in Detroit and was a lifelong Tigers fan. Tom Selleck is a Tigers fan as well.
          sigpic
          World Champions: 1919, 1940, 1975, 1976, 1990
          NL Champions: 1919, 1939, 1940, 1961, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1990
          NL Western Division Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, *1981, 1990
          NL Central Division Champions: *1994, 1995, 2010, 2012

Comment

• In Ken Burns' new series Roosevelt there is a still photo of boys playing a game that looks like baseball back in the early 20th Century. The batter is standing in what appears to be a wide alley between two brick buildings. You can't tell how large of an area is behind the pitcher but it was probably in a borough of New York City. The photo may have also been used in his Baseball series.

I recommend watching this series that's about Teddy, Franklin, and Eleanor Roosevelt because it is filled with our history and explains why this family was so important.

Comment

• The Walking Dead's premier had a guy wearing a Tigers hat.
              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• Anchorman 2 had a clip of Jackie Robinson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nutt View Post
                  Not sure if this has ever been touched on, but the character Thomas Magnum was born in Detroit and was a lifelong Tigers fan. Tom Selleck is a Tigers fan as well.
                  Selleck took BP with the Tigers in Detroit at least once and, I believe, also managed to put at least one ball out.
                  "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

• In Boyhood Ethan Hawke takes his son to see an Astros game. Jason Lane hits a three-run HR to win it according to Ethan. The movie crew actually went to two games to film scenes. The first time they used footage of Roger Clemens, and the second time they got lucky when Lane homered to left field. Lane didn't know about his role in the movie until a friend told him about it.

Comment

• A repeat Shark Tank episode had two former Cal Poly ballplayers, Matt Canepa and Pat Pezet, on to get a deal from the sharks. Their product is Grinds, an alternative to chewing tobacco. Made up of coffee grinds plus vitamins, 20 ML teams now use these pouches instead of tobacco. Canepa played two years in the Cubs organization and was the star catcher for Cal Poly in 2006.

It's interesting that this idea began as an Economics project and they were trying to come up with an idea. One of them chewed on some coffee grounds and a light bulb went on in his head. After winning $18,000 in two competitions, the two players designed pouches that fit easily in your mouth. Chewing tobacco is a 4.5 billion dollar industry so this is a neat alternative. Bruce Bochy endorsed the product and there are a few varieties such as Mocha, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Cinnamon Roll. They had projected 2013 sales to be $300,000.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyK View Post
                        A repeat Shark Tank episode had two former Cal Poly ballplayers, Matt Canepa and Pat Pezet, on to get a deal from the sharks. Their product is Grinds, an alternative to chewing tobacco. Made up of coffee grinds plus vitamins, 20 ML teams now use these pouches instead of tobacco. Canepa played two years in the Cubs organization and was the star catcher for Cal Poly in 2006.

It's interesting that this idea began as an Economics project and they were trying to come up with an idea. One of them chewed on some coffee grounds and a light bulb went on in his head. After winning $18,000 in two competitions, the two players designed pouches that fit easily in your mouth. Chewing tobacco is a 4.5 billion dollar industry so this is a neat alternative. Bruce Bochy endorsed the product and there are a few varieties such as Mocha, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Cinnamon Roll. They had projected 2013 sales to be $300,000.
                        Sounds disgusting, but at least it's not tobacco.
                        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                          Sounds disgusting, but at least it's not tobacco.
                          Starbucks, and I'm sure others, sells candy-coated coffee beans. They're not horrible. This is actually a logical extension of that. I can understand why the sharks would want to invest.
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• Anyone bring up The Untouchables yet?
                            The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
                            http://litbases.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Saturday Night Live ran a spoof of a commercial last night about Depend Legends Diapers for old timers who won't wear ordinary diapers. These 'legends" come with pictures of famous heroes like Mickey Mantle and other dead celebrities on the bottoms. One selling point was guys will trade legends diapers with their friends like they're baseball cards.

"Ill give you one Ty Cobb for one Willie Mays."
                              "Have you tried the Babe Ruth jumbo size diapers yet? Mine keep me dry even when I'm loaded."

I can think of a few people's faces I'd like wrapped around my bottom.

Comment

• I watched an interesting movie on Netflix. "The Prize winner of Defiance Ohio", which is based on a true story and two of the main characters sons made the Tigers minor league system. The movie was set in the 50's early 60's timeframe.

Also in this movie Woody Harrelson who played the alcoholic father got drunk and listened to Indian games on the radio a few times.
                                Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 05-19-2015, 03:20 PM.
                                "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X