No announcement yet.

Baseball references in non-baseball films

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Hollywood My Hometown Ken Murray shares 38 years of footage taken from his 16MM camera of famous Hollywood stars. Towards the end of the one-hour show on TCM, Murray shows highlights from two charity baseball games (or softball?) played in 1940 and 1945 at Los Angeles' Wrigley Field. You'll see bespectacled Burt Lancaster get a hit, Mickey Rooney turn a bunt into a triple, and Boris Karloff umpiring in his role of Frankenstein. Frank Sinatra, Buster Keaton, and many other stars are shown plus Jane Russell appears in a tight sweater as the Bat Girl. The Three Stooges are filmed while sitting on the bench, and they reportedly used butterfly nets for gloves.

In another charity game, Bing Crosby pitches to his sons. Charity baseball games drew enormous crowds and were huge events in Hollywood for many years. Several stars had either semipro or pro experience. Too bad most of this footage is now lost.
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• The kid, (Joshua Rudoy) in the film version of "Harry and the Hendersons" wears a Seattle Mariners star trident cap.

af593c7ead3ea37fe5eb810ad062299b.jpg

600px-HarryHendersons-2014-10-19-14h11m23s142.jpg
      The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

• In the old NBC TV show Highway to Heaven that starred Michael Landon, co-star Victor French wore an Oakland A's cap in several episodes.

Kramer on Seinfeld attended a Yankees fantasy camp and got kicked out after he got into fights with Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford.

In music, Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam, a die hard Cub fan, wrote a song called "All the Way", which features several Cub references. The cover for the single had a photo of the ivy covered outfield walls at Wrigley.

Comment

• There was an old comedy in the 30's called The Naughty Nineties starring Bud Abbott and Lou Costello. Need I say more?
          27 World Championships
          22 retired numbers
          Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
          Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

• I just saw A Bronx Tale for the first time. I wonder if Mickey Mantle ever saw it.

Comment

• Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
              I just saw A Bronx Tale for the first time. I wonder if Mickey Mantle ever saw it.
              Hopefully he took it slightly better than DiMaggio took the reference to him in "Mrs Robinson," which was meant as positive (reaching out for lost innocence) but DiMaggio hated it.
              NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
              Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
              Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

• Bill Pullman in two movies:

While You Were Sleeping: He questions Sandra Bullock's character for being his brothers fiance. "Favorite baseball team?" "Chicago?" "Cubs or White Sox?"

When Harry Met Sally: He does Gary Cooper's impersonation of Lou Gehrig's farewell speech.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X