Baseball references in non-baseball films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post

-A Willie Mays baseball card is featured as a plot device in one episode!

!
    A 1951 Bowman Willie Mays, no less.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
      -When Sisko is telling a crew member* about his perfect date with someone he is having a budding romance with, he says he wants to take her to see Game 7 of the 1964 World Series!
      *Jadzia Dax, who knows him well enough to know that he's very serious about any woman he wants to share his love for Bob Gibson with.
      -An early episode which plot surrounded a conflict between Sisko and his first officer, the episode ends with Sisko flipping her an old school (circa 1930s I guess) White Sox cap to show he has trust in her or something or other.
      Not to pick nits, but I'm fairly sure it was a Homestead Grays cap. The point was essentially the same, that he wanted to get to know her better and relate on a more personal (though not romantic) level by going to a recreated ball game.
      3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

Okay, after some Googling, here are both the cap that Sisko tossed to Kira Nerys and the '51 Bowman Mays which his son Jake got him for his birthday. I was looking for the former and found the latter along the way.
        Attached Files
        3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
          *Jadzia Dax, who knows him well enough to know that he's very serious about any woman he wants to share his love for Bob Gibson with.
          Well, I didn't want my uber-Trekkie ness to show ALL THE WAY through!

But yeah, Jazdia's line after Sisko tells her about what his perfect date with Kassiady would be is "You do love her!"
          NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
          Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
          Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Baseball (and the Orioles) got a number of mentions on the HBO series The Wire... including this awesome (and NSFW) conversation.

If you have not seen The Wire... well, you should see The Wire. Start at the beginning.

Best. TV. Show. Ever.
            "(Van) Mungo and I get along fine. I just tell him I won't stand for no nonsense, and then I duck."
            Casey Stengel

Comment

Dredging this thread up as in Public Enemies Johnny Depp as John Dillinger professes a love of baseball.

So much so that on the day of his death (in an obviously fictional scene) he walks into the Chicago field office of the FBI & quizzes the G-Men present about the score of a Cubs game they're listening to on the radio.

Comment

In the movie Robocop:

In futuristic Detroit, crime lord Clarence Boddiker (That 70's Show's Kurtwood Smith in the best role he ever had) siezes the upper hand in a cocaine deal about to go south telling his opponents, "Guys, guys.... The TIGERS play (drums his hands on the desk dramatically) TONIGHT!!!! I NEVER miss a game...."

Dennis
                BrooklynDodger14

Comment

I like the scene from the beginning of "Glory" where it shows the Union soldiers playing Base Ball in camp. Classic!
                  unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                  unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                  unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Today I saw an episode of the Rockford Files in which two guys were having bar bets about players from the Angels and Padres PCL teams. Two players mentioned were Luke Easter and Dom Dellesandro.

Comment

Last night I watched a third season episode of Star Trek: the Next Generation about a crook who collected one of a kind items (including an unsuccessful attempt to add Data to his collection). One of his items was a mint condition 1962 Topps Roger Maris, with original bubble gum scent.

Comment

I'm surprised this thread has gone so long with no mention of the 1962 thriller "Experiment In Terror" in which psychotic killer Ross Martin (who has been stalking Lee Remick throughout the film) is ultimately trapped and cornered at Candlestick Park. We see a lot of action of a Dodger-Giant game, and ultimately Martin is gunned down on the Candlestick diamond.

The 1964 thriller "The Satan Bug" climaxes at Dodger Stadium when its discovered that a deadly nerve gas agent has been buried inside the ballpark.

The 1961 Cary Grant-Doris Day comedy "That Touch Of Mink" has Grant taking Doris to a Yankee game where they get to watch the action from the Yankee dugout and when Doris starts riding the umpire, he comes over and promptly ejects Mantle, Maris and Berra! (all of whom have cameos in the film).

Comment

In the first Ninja Turtles movie, when Raphael first meets KC Jones, he picks up one of KC's fallen bats. Reading the signature on it, Raphael exclaims, "A Jose Canseco bat? Please, tell me you didn't pay money for this!"
                          The only way to pitch to Tony (Gwynn) is throw the ball down the middle and hope he hits it at someone." - Al Leiter

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                            'What's the score?'
                            'Nothing nothing.'
                            'Who's winning?'
                            The Bears.
                            "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                            -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                            -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

I just watched ‘Black Irish’ about two brothers growing up in South Boston, one a likable & promising ball player, the other a scumbag dealer. Good movie.

One of my all time favourite movies is The Warriors. The Baseball Furies were soooooo cool. :cap:
                              Pity they got beaten up.
                              I believe in all that - in baseball, in picnics, in freedom. Walt Whitman, 1888

Comment

Just saw the movie "Reds" on TCM a few nights back. While Cincinnati didn't get mentioned, Beatty's character of Jack Reed does mention the New York Yankees while arguing with his wife.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X