Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it bother you when references in non baseball songs/movies/shows are off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it bother you when references in non baseball songs/movies/shows are off?

I mean technical terms being misused, "facts" being off, etc.

Couple of examples;

I'd really like to know who the Mets got in return for Darryl Strawberry, because I don't think Adam Sandler knew (or to this day knows) the nuances of draft picks being awarded for free agents, hence we drafted Bobby Jones with the Dodgers pick that we got when they signed Straw. Yet in The Thanksgiving Song there the lyric is:

I can't believe the Mets traded Darryl Strawberry!

Never mind that Sandler is a Yankee fan and all!

Another lyric that kind of bugs me is the use of "speedball" instead of "fastball" in Springsteen's Glory Days. Well one reason I bring that one up is that one time on the set of Cheers Ted Danson would often have to be corrected when saying "speed" instead of "fast" to describe Sam Malone's pitching prowess, or lack there of!

Eh, maybe I'm being too nitpicky.
    NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
    Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
    Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Rod Carew never converted to Judaism either.

Does this bother me as a baseball fan?
    No, but it bothers me as a comedian!
    http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

Also, game action sequences in movies should at least resemble real baseball.

Comment

Did seem right when Law & Order implied that Bob Gibson routinely threw a spitter.

Thought it was a nice plug though when The Shield had a character named Fleetwood Walker.

Comment

Does it bother me when people get the facts mixed up over baseball?

Yes, but only a little because this has been the case for eons.

Most of the public believed that Fred Merkle was worthy of remaining the butt of jokes with his Merkle Boner. The public never had the chance to get the facts because the press allowed the misconceptions of that game and event to persist. Merkle chose to remain obscure rather than approach someone to clear up his reputation, and he had a shorter managing career than he might have had because the next generation of players had all these misconceptions.

Is it bothersome? Yes, but since the press and baseball fans continue to get their facts mixed up, nor do any research on some facts, I guess its all part of life.

The most bothersome case involved Canseco with his first book. In it, he made a reference to a game 7 of a World Series in which there was no game 7. He should at least have his own facts straight!
          Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
            Another lyric that kind of bugs me is the use of "speedball" instead of "fastball" in Springsteen's Glory Days.
            It's become less common over the years, but newspapers would often refer to "speedball pitchers" -- it was just an alternate way of saying fastball. As for the Boss, "speedball" also just sounds better in that spot in the song.

Comment

Well one reason I bring that one up is that one time on the set of Cheers Ted Danson would often have to be corrected when saying "speed" instead of "fast" to describe Sam Malone's pitching prowess, or lack there of!
              There was an episode of Cheers, where during an exhibition, Sam Malone is pitching at Yankee Stadium against a fictional retired Yankee great, and he's wearing a white home Red Sox jersey. The other Red Sox players are also wearing their home uniforms.

Comment

Another lyric that kind of bugs me is the use of "speedball" instead of "fastball" in Springsteen's Glory Days.
                Especially since "speedball" is also the name of something most people wouldn't want to be dealing with.

If you've seen Ridley Scott's generally excellent film American Gangster, you might remember that one of Denzel's character's relatives was a pitching prospect. There was a scene, set in 1972, where he asks the kid about a tryout he's arranged for him with the Yankees and Billy Martin. Just sloppy scriptwriting.
                3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"To this day, and forever, no one will ever be able to make sense of the game’s record book, now smeared with phony honors. It’s unfixable." - Thomas Boswell

Comment

Even movies based on factual events are usually off. They are only movies, tv shows, books, etc. The football movie Marshall, for instance, had the coach talking to Jake Gibbs, but Gibbs was already a major league baseball player when Marshall was rebuilding its football team.

What does bother me is when books, movies & tv shows are off when baseball is the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                    It's become less common over the years, but newspapers would often refer to "speedball pitchers" -- it was just an alternate way of saying fastball. As for the Boss, "speedball" also just sounds better in that spot in the song.
                    I've heard old timers in Southern minor league towns say this. My interpretation was that, even more than just a synonym for fastball, it indicated a pitching style which relied on power above location and knowledge of the hitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian McKenna View Post
                      Thought it was a nice plug though when The Shield had a character named Fleetwood Walker.
                      I just saw that for the first time on DVD and caught that too.

Comment

Ken Burns baseball documentary is littered with errors

In the song Centerfield, John Fogerty gives Ty Cobb the wrong name I believe he calls him Tyler and it is Tyrus

does it bother me? not really, but it affects my judgement of the source
                        1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                        2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                        3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                          In the song Centerfield, John Fogerty gives Ty Cobb the wrong name I believe he calls him Tyler and it is Tyrus
                          Not to be pedantic, but I think you may be mishearing the lyrics. He sings, "...Tell Ty Cobb...". I think with Fogerty's Southern twang "Tell" and "Ty" wind up sounding like one word.

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                            Ken Burns baseball documentary is littered with errors

does it bother me? not really, but it affects my judgement of the source
                            This thread is meant for things that aren't baseball related with baseball references though.
                            NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                            Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                            Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

I'm a big fan of Chuck Berry, but the last verse of "Brown Eyed Handsome Man" has always bothered me.

"Two, three count with nobody on
                              He hit a high fly into the stand
                              Rounding third he was headed for home
                              It was a brown eyed handsome man"
                              "It's fun, that's what it is, it's fun. Baseball is more fun than anything else. You can watch it and just love it and enjoy it. I don't think that there's anything tremendously philosophical about it. I don't think there's anything metaphysical I just think its so much fun to watch." - Robert Creamer

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X