Best non-biographic books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best non-biographic books

What books are the best "non-biographic books"?

Are you looking for statistical analyses, or history in general?

For stats, each of us probably has a favorite or two. This past summer, I read a book on baseball history as it fits into our culture: Baseball and The Mythic Moment. Fantastic, a must read for historians, IMHO, because new light was shed on several 'moments' in the game.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
      Are you looking for statistical analyses, or history in general?

For stats, each of us probably has a favorite or two. This past summer, I read a book on baseball history as it fits into our culture: Baseball and The Mythic Moment. Fantastic, a must read for historians, IMHO, because new light was shed on several 'moments' in the game.
      For both, but emphasis in history in general.
      Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by josh24 View Post
        For both, but emphasis in history in general.
        Thanks for the help!
        You may argue that The Glory of Their Times by Lawerence Ritter is biographical, since it's a series of interviews of former players (minus the questions, which makes for a much better narrative flow), but nothing will give you a better feel for what baseball was like 100 years ago. One of the most enjoyable books I've ever read, baseball or otherwise.
        Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 11-19-2008, 02:33 PM.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

I would recommend any and all of the Fireside Books of Baseball and Red Smith on Baseball. For a straight history of the game, Charles Alexander's Our Game and Harold Seymour's three-volume series probably are the best.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X