Recommendation for 1920s era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for 1920s era?

I'm looking for some books on baseball in the 1920s, with particular focus on the 1924 season, and the Washington Nationals, but anything on the game, the players and the teams of that era would be of great interest.

I know there is a biography of Walter Johnson, Baseball's Big Train, by Henry W. Thomas. Also, Shirley Povich published an autobiography and a column collection, I believe, and he was covering the Senators in the 1920s, so he might be a good source.

Comment

Baseball's Greatest Season, 1924, seems to be what you would be looking for. I hopethis thread is not just a backhanded advertisement for the book. Or ou might try Darn Senators by Joe Judge's grandson Mark Judge.

Comment

There's some great team pictures of the 1924 World Series Champions Washington Nationals here in the Baseball Fever History of the Game thread. Click on "Vintage Panoramic Pictures", then scroll through the index on page one. I know there's a good team picture with player identifications on page 8. There's also another one of the team visitng President Cooledge at the White House on page 9 (I helped with the identifications on these). And I think there's a couple more also.

By the way I also read Baseball's Greatest Season: 1924, and Damn Senatiors, and they're both real good. Another good one is In the Shadow of the Senators about Negro Leagaue baseball in D.C. Like you, I also love reading about the 1924 team.
        Last edited by GaryL; 12-03-2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
          Baseball's Greatest Season, 1924, seems to be what you would be looking for. I hopethis thread is not just a backhanded advertisement for the book. Or ou might try Darn Senators by Joe Judge's grandson Mark Judge.
          No commercial purpose here - I have read both books you list. Strat-O-Matic is releasing the 1924 season cards in early 2009 and I find my replays are greatly enhanced the more I know about the players, teams and the way the game was played.

Comment

I've replayed several seasons and have always read the corresponding issue of the Sporting News to see how close my recreations were to the real thing. At first I did it at the library, but now do it at Paper of Record.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
              I've replayed several seasons and have always read the corresponding issue of the Sporting News to see how close my recreations were to the real thing. At first I did it at the library, but now do it at Paper of Record.
              Good point...Baseball Digest is now on Google Books back to the 1940s and SI is now online back to the mid 50s as well.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X