Herb Pennock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herb Pennock

Herb Pennock is one of, if not the greatest, left handed pitchers of the 1920s. Does anyone know of any bios of him?

Sure doesn't look like anybody ever did one. Maybe his short life had something to do with it. I looked on Google (Tony Lazzeri has his own bio) and on the book site alibris.com. The SABR BioProject's short piece on Herb does not mention any full-length bios.

Comment

I couldn't find anything either.
      http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

Many thanks - this confirms what others have told me. Pennock didn't have a really short life (54) and played for PH and Bos before becoming the Yankees' star lefty of the 1920s. In all, he played 22 seasons - certainly warranting a book as much if not more than many others.

Comment

What he really could use is someone, say a Rob Neyer type, to set the record straight one way or another about his role in the Phillies boycott and overall treatment of Jackie Robinson in 1947.

Oh and yeah, he really is a highly unknown HOFer, even as a member of the 1927 Yankees!

But then again, maybe it is his involvement in the Robinson boycott that makes him so untouchable for historians or people to speak about in interviews.
          Last edited by SteveJRogers; 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM.
          NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
          Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
          Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
            What he really could use is someone, say a Rob Neyer type, to set the record straight one way or another about his role in the Phillies boycott and overall treatment of Jackie Robinson in 1947.

Oh and yeah, he really is a highly unknown HOFer, even as a member of the 1927 Yankees!

But then again, maybe it is his involvement in the Robinson boycott that makes him so untouchable for historians or people to speak about in interviews.
            Eig's Opening Day made it sound pretty clear that Pennock contacted Branch Rickey and asked him not to bring Robinson on the Dodgers first trip to Philadelphia in 1947. One of the Phillies that was interviewed claimed that Ben Chapman feared Robinson's presence would cause a race riot in the stands. This may have been Pennock's fear also.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
              Eig's Opening Day made it sound pretty clear that Pennock contacted Branch Rickey and asked him not to bring Robinson on the Dodgers first trip to Philadelphia in 1947. One of the Phillies that was interviewed claimed that Ben Chapman feared Robinson's presence would cause a race riot in the stands. This may have been Pennock's fear also.
              Difference is though, Chapman was a well known racist POS, not much is known either way about Pennock, and he has his defenders. Chapman does not.
              NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
              Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
              Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Herb Pennock was a very scholarly person and a very good pitcher, and I guess, a gentleman. Ty Cobb said ,in his day, the only pitchers that would`nt throw at your head were Walter Johnson and Herb Pennock. I think the greatest thing about Herb was his relationship with Babe Ruth. Babe absolutely worshipped him because of his intelligence. He became Babe`s social advisor and sucessfully filed down some of the rough edges on the Babe when he started getting invitations to social events.Mark Koenig told me that the Babe would wander around saying "Herb says this" and Herb says that. I thought that was a great and true story..

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X