Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Ballpark Book

I collect ballparks.

I have been to games in over 70 pro parks and taken pics of 40 others (no game that day or off season). I have a couple ballpark books, one is ST and one is a large circle shaped book that is pretty good. Got a question for everyone out there - what is the best ballpark book for a person like me?

Thanks,

G Rizzle

Well, there are a few out there. Oldies but goodies include Green Cathedrals by Lowry, Diamonds by Gershman, Lost Ballparks by Ritter, more recent titles include Take Me Out to the Ballpark by Leventhal, The Ballpark Book by the Sporting News, Ballparks: A Panoramic History by Sandalow and Sutton, Historic Ballparks: A Panoramic Vision by Pastier. Blue Skies Green Fields by Rosen is a joke, there are so many errors, however it includes quotes from players, broadcasters and other personalities.

Comment

Take Me Out To The Ballpark was very good. I highly recommend it.
      I never fully read Green Cathedrals, but I have read a few chapters and thought it was good as well.
      http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

City Baseball Magic by Bess

Comment

There are some books focused on specific parks. E.g. The Greatest Ball Park Ever (Ebbets) and To Everything a Season (Shibe)

Comment

Best baseball stadium book

In my humble opinion - by FAR the best book on baseball stadums ever published - at least for coverage of those which existed prior to the 1970's - is 1975's "The Ballparks" w. text by Bill Shannon & photographs by George Kalinsky. This beautiful oversized book features great full page photos from a variety of angles & informative historical text about each facility.
            While no longer in print, the book is available from a number of used & out of print booksellers including many of the on-line sites & copies show up fairly regularly on e-bay as well.
            Really nice copies can be expensive, although not as expensive as they once were, but suitable reading/reference copies can be found at reasonable prices. I'd be surprised if you could find anyone who owns this book who doesn't feel it was worth whatever they paid for it.
            Last edited by baseballbooks; 01-21-2009, 07:01 AM. Reason: not finished

Comment

i believe i have the one Sporting News publish, I recieved it as a present. I love, lots of big colorful pictures with good history about the stadiums.

Comment

Phil Lowry

The author of Green Cathedrals Phil Lowry may or not be a Baseball Fever member. His username is PLowry.

Comment

My new book, The Last Days of Shea, is about the experience of Shea stadium, and about what a fan goes through when a stadium is demolished. It will be published later this year by Taylor Trade Publishing.
                  sigpic Please check out my book, Mets Fan
                  Please check out my blog, Mets Fan Blog
                  Read about my new book The Last Days of Shea

Comment

Does anybody know what the MOST CURRENT book of major league stadium pictures is? There have been a lot of new parks and changes to old parks, i would love to have a book with them. Perhaps one will come out soon now that the Yankees and Mets have new parks, and parks like KC have been made a lot nicer. I love pictures of ballparks, and want to see what they look like now.
                    I AM SO THANKFUL FOR BEING BORN IN NEW YORK AND FOR BEING A FAN OF ALL NEW YORK SPORTS TEAMS

Comment

Green Cathedrals remains my personal favorite.
                      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

There is a really cool book not necessarily about ballparks per se, but is a baseball road trip book pinpointing baseball-related trips of interest around the globe.

Roadside Baseball by Chris Epting
                        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0892047143
                        sigpic
                        www.thejaunt.com

Comment

There is an excellent book by Curt Smith called Storied Stadiums - A History of Baseball through its Ballparks. It's very thorough and well illustrated.
                          Hack Wilson - He was built like a beer keg and was not unfamiliar with its contents.

Comment

Green Cathedrals remains my favorite....it would be great to see an updated version( If there has been a revised one,I missed it). Love the layout, just an enjoyable read!

Comment

There was a book that came out recently written by an Angels minor leaguer. It's about life in the minor leagues and I'd love to read it. Does anyone know the name of it?
                              Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Contrary to what most baseball fans claim, a pitched ball which is hit into play is not a strike.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X