Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right thread?

Originally posted by BiZmaRK View Post
    There was a book that came out recently written by an Angels minor leaguer. It's about life in the minor leagues and I'd love to read it. Does anyone know the name of it?
    Is it about ballparks?

Comment

Originally posted by BaseballinDC View Post
      There are some books focused on specific parks. E.g. The Greatest Ball Park Ever (Ebbets) and To Everything a Season (Shibe)
      Also "Ballpark - Camden Yards and the building of an American dream" Peter Richmond
      Alcohol
      Tobacco
      Firearms
      should be a convenience store,
      not a government agency

Comment

Bumpity bump... Green Cathedrals is probably the best, but I found the Ultimate Baseball Road Trip to be a great, long, and funny read. http://www.amazon.ca/Ultimate-Baseba.../dp/1592281591
        Check out some demos from my upcoming album: http://www.myspace.com/le_serge

Comment

This is my favorite. It's not strictly a "ballpark" book, but it does contain a plethora of the most gorgeous ballpark photos I've ever seen...

On the other end of the spectrum, this was the most disappointing ballpark book I've come across. Most of the photos are very blury; the information is sparse, spotty and inconsistent; the diagrams are sub-par...

I only paid $1 for it at the thrift store and IMO that's all it's worth:

I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
          - Walt Whitman

Comment

Agree with you on Leventhal. And the round shape is too gimmick-y.

Not a big fan of Green Cathedrals, because Lowry injects too much opinion in what is supposed to be a factual reference book. For example - and I'm working from memory here, I don't have the book in front of me - the section on New Comiskey Park - he says something to the effect of 'instead of discussing this monstrosity, let's remember the old Comiskey Park' and goes into some of the great moments that took place there. Uh, those should be in the section on the old Comiskey Park! And he also runs a couple of photos of a rejected alternate and captions it "Armour Field - what the White Sox could have built." Rejected plans may have a place, but again, I think a more objective caption would have been appropriate.
            X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Take Me Out To The Ballpark was great about 5 years ago, but considering that we are in the era of rapidly evolving ballparks, it seems completely outdated already.

While we're on the topic of Leventhal's books, does anybody own his book "The World Series"? It's a fantastic book that documents every world series with excellent photography and a brief series synopsis/box score. It is also outdated however, my edition was updated to include the 2002 series.
              sigpic

Comment

Green Cathedrals

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                Not a big fan of Green Cathedrals, because Lowry injects too much opinion in what is supposed to be a factual reference book. For example - and I'm working from memory here, I don't have the book in front of me - the section on New Comiskey Park - he says something to the effect of 'instead of discussing this monstrosity, let's remember the old Comiskey Park' and goes into some of the great moments that took place there. Uh, those should be in the section on the old Comiskey Park! And he also runs a couple of photos of a rejected alternate and captions it "Armour Field - what the White Sox could have built." Rejected plans may have a place, but again, I think a more objective caption would have been appropriate.
                To be fair, that version of the book was published in 1992 and New Comiskey had just opened the previous year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby_Ayala View Post
                  To be fair, that version of the book was published in 1992 and New Comiskey had just opened the previous year.
                  True, Nonetheless, I don't think it was appropriate for Lowry to handle it the way he did. Not in what's supposed to be a reference book.
                  X
                  What's THAT guy doing?
                  - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by PLowry View Post
                    I am a baseball researcher and writer. I wrote the book Green Cathedrals about ballparks, and argued that dual purpose football/baseball stadia, like Riverfront in Cinciinnati, Three Rivers in Pittsburgh, Shea in New York, Veterans in Philadelphia, Busch (II) in St. Louis, etc. etc. destroy the soul of the game, and I am thrilled to see new retro stadia that have a character of their own, like Petro in San Diego, PNB in Pittsburgh, SNBC or whatever they call it this year in San Francisco, Minute Maid Park in Houston. I also have written a 2200-page manuscript on the longest games, in all categories, which will probably be printed around 2009 or 2010.4
                    Originally posted by mrakbaseball View Post
                    The author of Green Cathedrals Phil Lowry may or not be a Baseball Fever member. His username is PLowry.
                    He is, as seen above. He hasn't logged on since March however.

Comment

About three years ago my neice gave me "The Ballpark Book" Revised Edition, and I've been enjoying it ever since. It's current up through the 2003 season.

Comment

lawrence ritter's lost ballparks has been a favorite...

tcb~

Comment

Originally posted by ghostofelvis View Post
                          lawrence ritter's lost ballparks has been a favorite...

tcb~
                          I like the Montreal and Los Angeles chapters. Wrigley Field in L.A. was superb. Loved that tower.

Comment

I was going to suggest Dodger Dogs to Fenway Franks: The Ultimate Guide to America's Top Baseball Parks by Robert Wood - which is one of my all-time favorites - except only Dodger, Fenway and a couple others are the only stadiums still in use from 1989. I guess I'll suggest it for the nostagia value, if anything.

Comment

Does anyone have The Ballparks by Bill Shannon and George Kalinsky? It was published in 1975 and as far as I know it was the first book devoted to ballparks.
                              X
                              What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                                Does anyone have The Ballparks by Bill Shannon and George Kalinsky? It was published in 1975 and as far as I know it was the first book devoted to ballparks.
                                I have the original edition and I believe it was re-published about 3 years ago though I never saw that version.

Kalinsky was the "Gary" of his time with some great color shots including the dustjacket wraparound photo of the Yanks' Bob Turley pitching at Ebbets Field during a Subway Series.

Dennis
                                BrooklynDodger14

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X