• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yankeeman590
    replied
    Originally posted by ssarge
    I read Game of Shadows last night.

Probably the wrong forum. But I'm curious. Anyone else read it yet? Impressions?

Best,

Scott
    i finished a couple of months ago, and i had already assumed bonds did steroids. after reading that book, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind he took steroids.

Leave a comment:

• brsox2445
    replied
    Originally posted by CoachZee
    What bothers me is that all the focus seems to be on the BALCO clients. conte only had a handful of players he was working with. What about all the other players who were taking steroids? They must have been getting them from someone. The whole investigation is centered around one piece of a multi piece puzzle. Until they get to the bottom of where other people got their steroids, it will be a BS investigation.

I'm a diehard Yankee fan but its interesting to see how Roger Clemens bulked up later in his career and I always wondered about Mike Mussina. Once they started testing all of a sudden Mussina wasn't throwing 95 mph anymore. He also developed shoulder problems but it makes you wonder.

Steroids cast a "shadow" on the whole game not just Barry.
    Well who else would it be about, they used Grand Jury stuff for Barry Bonds and other BALCO atheletes of course its about Barry and not other atheletes. They werent called to the Grand Jury. It centered around on the biggest pieces of the puzzle and most valuable because of the HR race.

And as for the second part its different routine and age which caused him not to throw as hard and develop problem.

Leave a comment:

• Nomtoc
    replied
    Originally posted by west coast orange and black
    Nomtoc: F Babo [sic], McQuire [sic], the Giambi's [sic] and anyone else who cheats!

i take it that the cheating that you have in mind is of the substance kind.
    one question, nomtoc: if proof surfaces that some hall of fame members used illegal drugs, what would be your stance?
    Why because of prohibition? Get real. You can't possibly be confusing performance enhancing drugs with the likes of recreational drugs now could you?

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    Nomtoc: F Babo [sic], McQuire [sic], the Giambi's [sic] and anyone else who cheats!

i take it that the cheating that you have in mind is of the substance kind.
    one question, nomtoc: if proof surfaces that some hall of fame members used illegal drugs, what would be your stance?

Leave a comment:

• Nomtoc
    replied
    Originally posted by CoachZee
    What bothers me is that all the focus seems to be on the BALCO clients. conte only had a handful of players he was working with. What about all the other players who were taking steroids? They must have been getting them from someone. The whole investigation is centered around one piece of a multi piece puzzle. Until they get to the bottom of where other people got their steroids, it will be a BS investigation.

I'm a diehard Yankee fan but its interesting to see how Roger Clemens bulked up later in his career and I always wondered about Mike Mussina. Once they started testing all of a sudden Mussina wasn't throwing 95 mph anymore. He also developed shoulder problems but it makes you wonder.

My understanding is that this is not just a BALCO affilliate investigation since McQuire is on the list.

Leave a comment:

• Nomtoc
    replied
    Originally posted by runningshoes53
    ^^^ What does your avatar say?
    "Baseball isn't boring, you are!"

It's a tee from The Heckler.
    Last edited by Nomtoc; 04-09-2006, 07:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CoachZee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• runningshoes
    replied
    ^^^ What does your avatar say?

Leave a comment:

• Nomtoc
    replied
    Finished reading Game of Shadows earlier in the week. I think somewhere near 80% of the book focused primarily on Track and Field (in association with BALCO of course). Just the same the summation is basically that MLB did their best to cover up this mess and any relation of it to Babo or McQuire. SInce they covered this mess up (as much as possible) I don't see how this new "investigation" will yeild anything new.

Roger Marris is still the HR king and holds the record.

F Babo, McQuire, the Giambi's and anyone else who cheats!
    Last edited by Nomtoc; 04-10-2006, 04:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    blaming the fans for the juicing and stating that they had widespread, systematic knowledge of steroid use is ridiculous - and saying that they gave de facto approval is off base - once again americans blame the system instead of the individual - no one is accountable - it's all everyone else's fault - maybe it's all the chicks' fault because they enjoy the long ball - maybe it's espn because they broadcast the games - or perhaps it is the car dealers that advertise on espn - or maybe the tire manufacturers who supply the car dealers - and perhaps the rubber suppliers and all the delivery and shipping personnel - i can't be mcgwire and the boys - no not possible

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    ssarge, please gimme your best case that the fans of any of the 29 other clubs would not greet their top star in the manner that you describe for bonds.

. . . . . . . . .

players do not believe that anonymity is alive and well simply because they do not trust the owners. the players union and the owners lock horns and battle it out on a number of issues. there is no love lost there.

. . . . . . . . .

there is no way to know whether anonymity has been protected.
    just because we have not heard stories does not mean that all is proper and good with the testing information.

. . . . . . . . .

"close to 50%" is on the low side, according to my guys.

Leave a comment:

• ssarge
    replied
    Let's say the regular season home opener. Lot's of A's fans at the pre-season finale at AT&T over the weekend. That will skew crowd reaction. It will be all Giants fans at the home opener. And Bonds will be VERY warmly greeted.

May 1 in Sacramento sounds like a great idea. Let's do this and support David.

Best,

Scott

Leave a comment:

• Ursa Major
    replied
    I assume by Lafayette High you mean Acalanes? My wife attended there, graduating in 1975. She is, uh, Swedish.
    I don't recall, but I guess Acalanes is the only high school out there. So, that must be it. It's not like she was completely alone. There was one other African-American student there... her brother. And, it's okay if your wife is Swedish; so am I.
    As for the Standing O for Barry - if I'm wrong, I'll but you a beer and a hot dog next time we are together at one game or another. Which I hope will be soon.
    Are we talking tomorrow's exhibition against the Angels, or the regular season home opener against the Braves on April 6th? And for paying off the winner, I think we make a road trip to Sacramento on May 1st and hoist a banner for HiddenGem against the Beavers. Maybe drag Jim Booth along....

Leave a comment:

• ssarge
    replied
    I dated the only African-American member of the 1973 Lafayette High graduating class. [Let me clarify this -- it was in 1976; she'd already graduated from high school by then. Okay? Whew.])
    we have much in common.

I assume by Lafayette High you mean Acalanes? My wife attended there, graduating in 1975. She is, uh, Swedish. So I take your point. Our church felt we were too homogenous, and recently commissioned a demographic study. Turned out we were doing OK, the demographics of the county's population are close to what you indicate. It has changed some in the past 3 decades, but not much. I have always viewed broadened cross-cultural exposure as a real positive in kid's travel sports.

As for the Standing O for Barry - if I'm wrong, I'll but you a beer and a hot dog next time we are together at one game or another. Which I hope will be soon.

Best regards,

Scott

Leave a comment:

• MrUniverse09
    replied
    By the way:

I dont want to give off the impression that I'm some juiced up roid-head. I'm not. I'm just saying that the witch hunt that is going on in America today about anabolics is largely unfounded. I don't advocate women or children taking them. TERRIBLE ideas. I don't advocate stupid or immature people taking them. Hell, I don't advocate ANYONE taking them. I would never say "hey, you should take steroids!" BUT I do understand why people take them. And I do know taken correctly, they will offer negligable health concerns to healthy adult males.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X