X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heals Going Nine
    replied
    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    It's is an odd choice for a movie. The part of the book that I was enthralled the most wasn't the business side of baseball or how sabermetrics helped Beane but Bean;s personal story. He was a huge baseball prospect coming out of high school. Beane was one of those old fashioned three sport stars that dominated high school competition. Beane was also a bright student and like by everyone. All the scouts were so sure that Beane was destined to be a baseball god. But it never happened. There was some other interesting aspects to Beane's life. He stopped playing football after his sophomore year. The Stanford baseball coach wanted Beane so he asked the Stanford football coach to take a look at Beane. Beane impressed him so much that he agreed to offer him a football scholarship thus allowing Beane to play football and baseball. Beane really wanted to go to Stanford. but when the Mets offered him $125,000 to sign he took. He still wanted to attend Stanford but when Stanford found out he signed with the Mets they withdrew their offer. In the book Beane still seemed somewhat bitter about never going to Stanford. Oh, and Beane lost his entire signing bonus on a bad investment deal. Talk about a double whammy. All this stuff could make for an interesting movie.
    I think that's exactly the kind of movie they are going to make, especially know that Aaron Sorkin is writing the script.

Leave a comment:

• callingit
    replied
    for the record, the film production of 'moneyball' has been scrapped as of June 21, three days before principal photography was scheduled to begin. The studio was not happy with the script or the financial over runs projected, so they scrapped the movie at the very last minute.

the production team was given the weekend to shop the project to a new studio or all bets were off. no one picked up the project and it is now considered totally dead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/02/bu...eyball.html?hp

$ 10 million dollars is an INSANE amount of money to be spent on script development and scouting. Steven Soderbergh is a control freak; the article lableing him 'eccentric' is a generous description of his usual demeanor. Major League Baseball also has the reputation of being very, very particular about what they approve in film, so it's not all that surprising there were fatal clashes over this film.

Leave a comment:

• Kentucky Bomber
    replied
    I'll bet you all right now that they'll take the title and write a script that has nothing whatever to do with the book, Beane or the A's. And they'll find a way to work Angelina Jolie into it.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
    Of all the great baseball topics to base a movie on, this strikes me as rather odd. All I can hope is that they do a good job with it.
    It's is an odd choice for a movie. The part of the book that I was enthralled the most wasn't the business side of baseball or how sabermetrics helped Beane but Bean;s personal story. He was a huge baseball prospect coming out of high school. Beane was one of those old fashioned three sport stars that dominated high school competition. Beane was also a bright student and like by everyone. All the scouts were so sure that Beane was destined to be a baseball god. But it never happened. There was some other interesting aspects to Beane's life. He stopped playing football after his sophomore year. The Stanford baseball coach wanted Beane so he asked the Stanford football coach to take a look at Beane. Beane impressed him so much that he agreed to offer him a football scholarship thus allowing Beane to play football and baseball. Beane really wanted to go to Stanford. but when the Mets offered him $125,000 to sign he took. He still wanted to attend Stanford but when Stanford found out he signed with the Mets they withdrew their offer. In the book Beane still seemed somewhat bitter about never going to Stanford. Oh, and Beane lost his entire signing bonus on a bad investment deal. Talk about a double whammy. All this stuff could make for an interesting movie.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 04-06-2009, 12:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• powderblue
    replied
    Not sure if it will be any good, but I'm excited. How about Shia LeBouf as a young Nick Swisher? For funny!

Leave a comment:

• efin98
    replied
    This could be a good movie that may win an Oscar if done right...it to me will be baseball's version of "Jerry McGuire" in that it has Pitt narating his thoughts while showing the backroom deals, meetings and frustrations over the seven year period between 1997 and 2003.

They have to have a major emphasis on the 1997, 1998, and the 2001/2002 off seasons; the major trades(1997's Mark McGuire to Cards especially); his relationship with Art Howe; his proteges like J.P. Richiardi and Paul DePodesta.

Leave a comment:

• The Commissioner
    replied
    Of all the great baseball topics to base a movie on, this strikes me as rather odd. All I can hope is that they do a good job with it.

Leave a comment:

• Extra Innings
    replied
    Originally posted by philkid3 View Post
    It will almost certainly be more about the story of Beane, players like Hatteberg and Chad Bradford and the 2003 season. Perhaps with some embelishment.

I doubt it will spend much time on the ins and outs of the business, stats and theories of "moneyball."

After thinking about it, I actually wrote a few months ago about how I thought this could end up being a good movie.
    I agree to that. I think it will be more of a Beane biopic than about the guts of moneyball.

Leave a comment:

• philkid3
    replied
    Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Interesting. Not a lot of business books are made into movies.
    It will almost certainly be more about the story of Beane, players like Hatteberg and Chad Bradford and the 2003 season. Perhaps with some embelishment.

I doubt it will spend much time on the ins and outs of the business, stats and theories of "moneyball."

After thinking about it, I actually wrote a few months ago about how I thought this could end up being a good movie.

Leave a comment:

• NJYankeeFan
    replied
    Interesting. Not a lot of business books are made into movies.

Leave a comment:

• Cod
    replied
    I found this on IMDB the other day: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1210166/

I thought it was just being "talked about", but I guess it is finally in the early stages of development with an estimated release date of 2011.

Leave a comment:

• Moneyball - Starring Brad Pitt -Coming to the big screen

The infamous book "Moneyball" will soon be in production- and will star Brad Pitt. Below is a link that I found... This should be intersting!

http://movies.hsx.com/servlet/Securi...l?symbol=MONYB

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X