Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know if ESPN is doing their Baseball Encylopedia this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know if ESPN is doing their Baseball Encylopedia this year?

I've seen nothing about one on Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com and they generally have upcoming releases several months in advance.

I know they didn't do a football one this past year, it would be a shame if they discontinuted the baseball one.

Speaking of which, when is the Neft/Cohen book due out?
    NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
    Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
    Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

IMHO, it is very doubtful that ESPN will publish another version this year. I bought the softcover 2008 edition a couple of weeks ago at Barnes and Noble. It would be surprising to see the reference published in consecutive years. Annual publications are done for the Register and several current player analyses for the sake of fantasy leagues. Historical encyclopedias have a limited market, and so the next edition (if there is one at all) is likely to be years away.

The ESPN volume will be very much like Total Baseball, and that in itself was a major surprise. In the end, IMHO, there is still nothing to compare to MacMillan's "Big Mac". MacMillan provided a comprehensive roster, leaderboard and standings for each season, in addition to the player profiles. Although that may seem redundant, the idea is terrific for reviewing the double play partners of Cal Ripken or Ozzie Smith, or great outfield trios, or great starting fours/fives. While true that we had Aaron and Mays' careers listed twice in the same book, it provided an easy way to compare the outfields of those two greats, or the lineup protection they must have had over their careers.

--- R.I.P. "Big Mac". For the uninitiated younger crowd, look for one on ebay.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
      The ESPN volume will be very much like Total Baseball, and that in itself was a major surprise. In the end, IMHO, there is still nothing to compare to MacMillan's "Big Mac". MacMillan provided a comprehensive roster, leaderboard and standings for each season
      Wait... isn't the ESPN book the same as the Palmer & Gillette, Barnes & Noble book? I'm pretty sure my edition of that ('03 or '04) has all those things.

Comment

Spark--

I am unfamiliar with the Palmer/Gillette book you have mentioned, but if you are satisfied with it, then okay. I don't like the idea of buying separate books over what Big Mac gave in one book 4 1/2 " thick. The only data Big Mac lacked was sabremetric stuff, starting with Runs Created and on from there. But this could be calculated anyway; the reference was the best for small to mid-size research projects.
        Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

This is the one I meant.

Comment

I was speaking with Gary Gillette in reference to The Emerald Guide to Baseball 2009 and he mentioned that he is not doing the ESPN Encyclopedia this year. I can ask him more specifically when they'll be doing another one if you wish.

In the meantime, if you haven't picked up The Emerald Guide yet, definitely do so. It was edited by Gillette and Palmer and is the most comprehensive record of the 2008 season available. SABR is offering the PDF version of the book free to both members and non-members alike. Just go to www.sabr.org. (It really is free.) The print version of The Emerald Guide is available from Lulu.com for $23.94.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Susan.

Assuming the next encyclopedia edited by Gillette and Palmer, whenever it is, maintains/improves the content and standards of the last one, I will guarantee two copies (one to give) sold right here.

Comment

Anyone heard anything about the Neft/Cohen books?
                NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X