Baseball Movie Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Movie Ideas

I'd like to see The Universal Baseball Association, J. Henry Waugh, Prop. by Robert Coover turned into a movie. Particularly with the rise of fantasy baseball these past thirty years, I think this would be both insightful and timely as well as hugely entertaining. Paul Giamatti would be a perfect casting job for the role of Waugh. All-time great players, past and present, might perform the lesser roles of Waugh's many memorable Association stars.

Anyone else got an idea for a baseball movie? Always enjoy reading a great idea. Who knows? Maybe a Hollywood producer trolls these forums. Baseball fans come in all shapes and sizes.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

If you know the Pink Floyd song "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", then maybe you can see this one.

The song is NOT an upbeat song, at least musically, althought the lyrics can be used that way.

Scenario: Young player who loves to party as hard as he plays gets messed up with the law, illegal drug addiction, maybe alcoholism, and then is forced to overcome all that baggage in a comeback story. I see the player's fall and comeback as requiring a few years to play itself out.

What'd ya think? I would actually write the screenplay, except that I am terrible at writing fiction.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

I would really like to see a movie about Ty Cobb, but good this time. I am aware that a lot of people enjoyed "Cobb" but it seemed more like a vehicle for Tommy Lee JJones than a movie about the Georgia Peach.

I want it to focus on his whole life, starting as a teen looking for his father's acceptance, to his baseball career, all the way to his death. Show the drive behind the man as well as all of the ugly stuff that made him such a hated rival and team mate.

A young cast (mid to late 20's), zero to little mention of Al Stump, lots of fights, lots and lots of baseball, his home life, and plenty of Detroit and Georgia.

Yes, yes, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by No Pink Tea View Post
        I would really like to see a movie about Ty Cobb, but good this time. I am aware that a lot of people enjoyed "Cobb" but it seemed more like a vehicle for Tommy Lee JJones than a movie about the Georgia Peach.

I want it to focus on his whole life, starting as a teen looking for his father's acceptance, to his baseball career, all the way to his death. Show the drive behind the man as well as all of the ugly stuff that made him such a hated rival and team mate.

A young cast (mid to late 20's), zero to little mention of Al Stump, lots of fights, lots and lots of baseball, his home life, and plenty of Detroit and Georgia.

Yes, yes, yes.

There are people on this site who are probably applauding as they read your post.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
          If you know the Pink Floyd song "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", then maybe you can see this one.

The song is NOT an upbeat song, at least musically, althought the lyrics can be used that way.

Scenario: Young player who loves to party as hard as he plays gets messed up with the law, illegal drug addiction, maybe alcoholism, and then is forced to overcome all that baggage in a comeback story. I see the player's fall and comeback as requiring a few years to play itself out.

What'd ya think? I would actually write the screenplay, except that I am terrible at writing fiction.
          Wouldn't that be The Josh Hamilton Story?
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
            Wouldn't that be The Josh Hamilton Story?
            Or Eastbound and Down?
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Between The Natural and The Rookie, hasn't the "comeback" story already been pretty well covered?

Any hope to redeem the franchise with a Major League IV?
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

I suppose Hamilton's story fits, but what I had in mind is fiction, with plenty of locker room humor to mix with the antidrug message. If Hamilton's story is accurate as he has shared it, then he is too straightlaced.

In other words, "Crazy Diamond" has to remain a nutcase after he beats his demons.
                Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Two great movie ideas...at no charge to you the producer

1) The End of Baseball. Movie version of the novel that has as its central plot the idea that Bill Veeck buys the A's in 1946, recruits a team of Negro League All-Stars (Gibson, Paige, Jethroe, Campanella, Charleston, adds Martin Dihigo, has Mickey Cochrane manage) and thumbs his nose at Landis and racism. A great book!!
                  2) The Iowa Baseball Confederacy. Written by WP Kinsella. Another great book that this time has a supernatural/ fantasy bend to it. Could have great special effects (the Angel of Death playing third base) and be really unique.
                  Either of these movies, done right, could make a lotta money.

Comment

Maybe it's too depressing, but I think, if handled correctly, Hang Tough, Paul Mather, the little league version of Bang the Drum Slowly could be good.
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

How about the story of the 1914 "Miracle Braves" one shot pennant and World Series winning team? I think that would be a compelling cinematic story... lots of baseball... you could use Bosse Field (1915) in Evansville Indiana and Rickwood Field (1910) in Brimingham Ala as well as possibly a digitally altered Fenway Park and Wrigley Field as well...

Comment

I'd like to see the Ted Williams story on the big screen. Not sure who would play him (Ben Affleck maybe), but it's a great American story that I think would work as a movie.
                        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Maybe a movie about King Kelly, often reported to be the first true baseball superstar, and quite the character who died young.

Has there ever been a movie about 19th century baseball? it seems strange that there hasn't been one IMO. It's a time in baseball seemingly rife with tall tales, and tall tales is Hollywoods specialty....a match made in heaven.
                          New York (N.L.)
                          1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

Brooklyn (N.L.)
                          1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

Comment

I'd love to write the screenplay for a movie about the famous Cuban Giants black baseball team. They played nearly every day on the road against racist teams, umpires, and fans. They entertained hostile crowds when necessary and defeated many minor league teams. Somehow they earned a living and developed a reputation as one of the finest baseball teams of any color in America. It's an amazing story.
                            "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                            "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

I would love to see a Jackie Robinson movie. Spike Lee was supposed to make one in the late 1990s but nothing ever came of it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...spike_lee.html

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...lee-doesn.html
                              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X