Baseball Movie Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    When he wakes up he finds himself in 1947...
    I can buy the time-travel beaning. But the rest of it is pretty far-fetched.

Comment

This is an Idea that has been rolling around in my mind for a few years now:

The movie would be about a Barry Bonds/Alex Rodriguez type ball player. He's the best in the game and also your prototypical arrogant, self consumed,prima donna modern day athelete. He makes ridiculous money playing baseball, even more in endorsements, he's broken records,won championships & awards and is hated by other ball players & his teammates because of his showboating & arrogance.

one day in the middle of a game he is beaned with a baseball and knocked out temporarily. When he wakes up he finds himself in 1947 in a spring training game. Now he sees what life was like for a baseball player back then; before free agency,before garaunteed contracts, before fancy hotels & livining accomodations;before state of the art facilities. And before integration in the sport. He goes through spring training realizing he & no one has a garraunteed spot on the team;everyone has to prove their worth. During this time the main character befriends a young ball player struggling & hoping he makes the team so he can make a better living and send more money to his wife & kids. He's a contractor during the off season and doesn't have half the skill as the main character, but has twice the heart.

On the last day of spring training there's only one outfield spot left. Word gets out all around baseball that the Dodgers will bring up Jackie Robinson & thus integrate baseball. The team the main character is playing for considers doing the same. The main character over hears the coaches talk about cutting his friend & bring him on the team instead now that integration has happened. Heart broken for his friend, he's not sure what to do. In that last game both guys are playing hard. In the main characters last at bat he is beaned with a baseball and knocked out. When he wakes up he's back in 2009. With all his experiences, the main character has a new found appreciation for the game. He's no longer arrogant and self consumed. He becomes a better teammate; he hustles in every play; works hard and thus becomes a better person.

That's my idea in broad strokes
      That is pretty much the basic idea around The Sandlot 3 (or 4--everything after the original is bad and blends together).
      sigpic

Comment

Rise and fall of Barry Lamar Bonds would certainly be interesting.

Comment

Movies I would like to see:

1. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych
          2. Fernandomania
          3. The Big Red Machine

Only #2 on that list might have enough appeal for Hollywood to make, though.

Comment

Originally posted by hwmongoose View Post
            Movies I would like to see:

1. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych
            2. Fernandomania
            3. The Big Red Machine

Only #2 on that list might have enough appeal for Hollywood to make, though.
            What actor could play Fernando?
            My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
              Javier Bardem
              They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Apologies in advance, but I can't resist:

Attached Files
                Life is complex, it has both real and imaginary parts.

Comment

Two problems with James Brown as Fernando:

1. Not a Spanish speaker
                  2. Dead
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

A young Dennys Reyes is hard to beat, though, throws with the correct hand, definitely speaks Spanish, and even has the uniform!
                    Attached Files
                    Life is complex, it has both real and imaginary parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
                      George Lopez?
                      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

This is an Idea that has been rolling around in my mind for a few years now:

The movie would be about a Barry Bonds/Alex Rodriguez type ball player. He's the best in the game and also your prototypical arrogant, self consumed,prima donna modern day athelete. He makes ridiculous money playing baseball, even more in endorsements, he's broken records,won championships & awards and is hated by other ball players & his teammates because of his showboating & arrogance.

one day in the middle of a game he is beaned with a baseball and knocked out temporarily. When he wakes up he finds himself in 1947 in a spring training game. Now he sees what life was like for a baseball player back then; before free agency,before garaunteed contracts, before fancy hotels & livining accomodations;before state of the art facilities. And before integration in the sport. He goes through spring training realizing he & no one has a garraunteed spot on the team;everyone has to prove their worth. During this time the main character befriends a young ball player struggling & hoping he makes the team so he can make a better living and send more money to his wife & kids. He's a contractor during the off season and doesn't have half the skill as the main character, but has twice the heart.

On the last day of spring training there's only one outfield spot left. Word gets out all around baseball that the Dodgers will bring up Jackie Robinson & thus integrate baseball. The team the main character is playing for considers doing the same. The main character over hears the coaches talk about cutting his friend & bring him on the team instead now that integration has happened. Heart broken for his friend, he's not sure what to do. In that last game both guys are playing hard. In the main characters last at bat he is beaned with a baseball and knocked out. When he wakes up he's back in 2009. With all his experiences, the main character has a new found appreciation for the game. He's no longer arrogant and self consumed. He becomes a better teammate; he hustles in every play; works hard and thus becomes a better person.

That's my idea in broad strokes
                        It sounds fairly similar to Life On Mars.

Comment

I have a hard time believing Bardem (who's not exactly built for the part, anyway) or Lopez could pass for a 20-year-old Fernando. That was one issue with John Goodman playing the Babe. Ruth wasn't a fat 40-year-old slob when he was 20 or 25. Except in the movie.

But an all-hispanic cast. Lopez as Tommy LaSorda. Bardem as Steve Garvey. Pedro Guerrero as Ron Cey.
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                            I have a hard time believing Bardem (who's not exactly built for the part, anyway) or Lopez could pass for a 20-year-old Fernando. That was one issue with John Goodman playing the Babe. Ruth wasn't a fat 40-year-old slob when he was 20 or 25. Except in the movie.

But an all-hispanic cast. Lopez as Tommy LaSorda. Bardem as Steve Garvey. Pedro Guerrero as Ron Cey.
                            You have a hard time believing Bardem as Fernando, so you nominate him to play Steve Garvey?

As for Goodman, he once said something about you know you have a problem when you have to lose weight to play Babe Ruth.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X