Error in Tim Kurkjian's Book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error in Tim Kurkjian's Book?

I'm not sure where to post this thread, hopefully I'm in the right place! I just finished Tim Kurkjian's "Is This a Great Game or What?". I absolutely loved it, but I ran across what seems to me to be an error in the book. Kurkjian is telling a story about Dennis Eckersley going from 1978 until 1982 without picking off a baserunner. However, the last runner he picked off in 1978 was Kenny Williams (current White Sox GM), and the first runner he picked off in 1982 was also Williams. Everything I have found concerning Williams' career shows that he didn't enter the league until 1986. Furthermore, I believe he only faced Eckersley 5 times in his career, getting on base twice. I don't think that the error has to do with the years, because Williams getting on base against Eckersley didn't happen 4 years apart. Has anyone else read this book? Noticed this error? Or maybe have a possible explanation for such a mishap?

Maybe he got the years wrong, because he picked off Willie Randolph and Rickey Henderson in these games.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...97907010.shtml
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98106070.shtml

There are others too.
    FWIW, he didn't have any pickoffs from 1992 to 1998.
    Last edited by ipitch; 04-23-2009, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Even if he had the years wrong, why did he say it was Kenny Williams? This glaring error in a book just baffles me. I know that baseball books have errors in them all of the time, but I can't find anything to suggest that this is just a minor typo.

Comment

Anyone who has an interest in history will tell you that the most unreliable resource is a first person account written many years after the fact. People's memories just aren't as reliable as we would like to think.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
          Anyone who has an interest in history will tell you that the most unreliable resource is a first person account written many years after the fact. People's memories just aren't as reliable as we would like to think.
          That's why Kurkjian should have had a better proofreader.

Comment

Another error that I found is on page 8...

He talks about Keith Hernandez packing his Strat-O-Matic in his suitcase after being drafted in 1975. His dad told him he wasn't going to take it because he's a professional ballplayer now. He replied, "But Dad, I'm halfway through the '72 season!".

Hernandez was drafted in 1971, began in the minors in 1972 and made his major league debut in 1974. The years are obviously incorrect.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X