Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra Innings
    replied
    Thrift stores, Library bookstores, and Used bookstores are good ways to find books for cheap. Sports books and more particulary baseball books are not necessarily hard to come by, its just their selection may be limited.

Leave a comment:

• Cubsfan97
    replied
    Ive gotten Pete Roses Autobiography and a few Cardinal books from dollar stores before. Occasionally on eBay I find something cheap.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
    Here in rural Missouri, we still have old-fashioned garage sales. All kinds of gems can be found when unsuspecting folk sell off their possessions.:cap:
    Fun, but also needle in a haystack if you're looking for something specific.

Leave a comment:

• abolishthedh
    replied
    Here in rural Missouri, we still have old-fashioned garage sales. All kinds of gems can be found when unsuspecting folk sell off their possessions.:cap:

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Best online book site I know of. Includes all of the other massive databaes.

www.bookfinder.com

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• TonyK
    replied
    After I read most of the free baseball books at my local public library, I drove up the hill to the local college library to see what they had. I was amazed to discover an entire row twenty to thirty feet wide containing thousands of baseball books!

They have subjects ranging from coaching youth teams (this is a teachers college specializing in physical education), biographies, team histories, and general history books. I cannot possibly read all of them in my lifetime. And they are all free to the public. The only drawback is finding a parking place. If you live near a college perhaps it's worth a drive over to it's library.

Leave a comment:

• The Commissioner
    replied
    Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I've checked every Dollar Tree in the greater Orlando area and still didn't find a copy of "Game of Shadows" yet. Hopefully, they'll get that one in soon. I did pick up a copy of the Starks book, but haven't had a chance to sit down and read it yet. Is that one not worth my time, Brad?
    Never mind. I started reading it the other day. The only thing I've learned thus far is that Stark should have his voting privileges revoked.

Leave a comment:

• The Commissioner
    replied
    I'm pretty sure that I've checked every Dollar Tree in the greater Orlando area and still didn't find a copy of "Game of Shadows" yet. Hopefully, they'll get that one in soon. I did pick up a copy of the Starks book, but haven't had a chance to sit down and read it yet. Is that one not worth my time, Brad?

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by Brad Harris View Post
    Check when your local library has its book sales. County libraries will often purge their old collections on a semi-regular basis. Ours holds a sale 4 times a year. This month I paid $15 for 121 books. ($3 bag sale.) Only a dozen or so were baseball related, but still. Can't beat the price.
    You find treasures at those. I've purchased old autobiographies from Connie Mack and Jack Coombs, a couple dozen sporting news baseball registers, a big lot of Who's Who in Baseball, and similar stuff for a fraction of the listed price/value.

Non-library book sales are good, too. Every year where I live the local planned parenthood chapter has a big book sale, and the prices are great. Plus you don't get those annoying "This book is no longer property of such and such library" through out.

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    Originally posted by sonofkirby View Post
    I recently found 'The Stark Truth' by Jayson Stark and 'Game of Shadows' both at my local Dollar Tree for a buck each. Just Thought I'd pass this on FYI.
    You overpaid for Stark's book.

Leave a comment:

• Chadwick
    replied
    Check when your local library has its book sales. County libraries will often purge their old collections on a semi-regular basis. Ours holds a sale 4 times a year. This month I paid $15 for 121 books. ($3 bag sale.) Only a dozen or so were baseball related, but still. Can't beat the price.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    It doesn't necessarily have to be Dollar Tree. Any dollar store like it has a selection of books. I picked up a Ryne Sandberg bio and Billy Martin video a few years back at whichever one is directly in the mall as opposed to being its own freestanding building like Dollar Tree or Deals.

Leave a comment:

• Allie Fox
    replied
    Oh well. Thanks for the heads up anyway. I went by the local Dollar Tree and. . . nothing but Bibles and a self help manual. h

Leave a comment:

• Allie Fox
    replied
    Thanks too.

I've yet to read Game of Shadows so I'll head over to see if the local DT has it. As for Stark Truth, I got it when it came out. If I had only waited two years. . . what a bargain.

Leave a comment:

• The Commissioner
    replied
    Thanks for the head's up! I'll keep an eye out for those!

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X