Luis Tiant Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luis Tiant Movie

Anyone seen this? Movie or documentary? Any good?

Just tried to added it to my Netflix...appears that they don't have it yet though.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

What is the name of the film?

Comment

Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
        What is the name of the film?
        The Lost Son of Havana
        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
          Just tried to added it to my Netflix...appears that they don't have it yet though.
          Wasn't ESPN going to air the documentary? Has it already been shown?
          My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
            Wasn't ESPN going to air the documentary? Has it already been shown?
            I'm not sure if it has, but it's something that I definitely want to see.

Comment

I have not heard of this. Are both Luis Sr and Jr. featured?
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

More Info

ESPN buys rights to Luis Tiant documentary, 'The Lost Son of Havana'

Variety reports that "The Lost Son of Havana" is officially the first film acquired at this year's Tribeca Film Festival.

ESPN picked up broadcast rights to the Cuba-set documentary, which follows three-time All Star pitcher Luis Tiant fulfilling a lifelong dream of visiting his homeland again. The movie was produced by the Farrelly brothers and narrated by Chris Cooper.

Tiant left Cuba in 1961 and over the next 19 years became a Major League Baseball legend, pitching for both the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees and winning over 220 games.

The emotional return of "El Tiante" to his native Cuba included visits to long-lost relatives. The film was directed by award-winning director Jonathan Hock, who told New York's Daily News that Tiant seemed particularly struck by the country's poverty.

"[Luis] kept saying, ‘It used to be so beautiful, it used to be so beautiful,’" says Hock of Tiant’s reaction, "and the other thing he kept saying was, ‘I don’t know how to feel, whether I should laugh or cry.’"

"I grew up playing Wiffle ball, trying to pitch like Luis Tiant," Hock said of the 67-year-old former ballplayer. "Traveling with him to Cuba, I discovered he was also playing for the love of his father, a Cuban and Negro League legend he had to leave behind."

Tiant, known for his ever-present cigar (he even has his own line) and an eccentric pitching motion, was among the lucky ones. Fidel Castro allowed his parents to visit the States in 1975, where both stayed for 15 months before they died.

But because he was an only child and his parents were dead, Tiant was not, under the rules of the 47-year-old economic embargo, allowed to visit Cuba.

His trip home came about through an amateur baseball team that travels to Cuba every year as a goodwill gesture. Tiant went home legitimately as a coach for the team.

ESPN and ESPN Deportes will broadcast the movie in August in both English and Spanish versions.

Comment

The Farrelly brothers? This is a bit different for them. Chris Cooper is an excellent actor, though. I'm looking forward to this.
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                    The Farrelly brothers? This is a bit different for them. Chris Cooper is an excellent actor, though. I'm looking forward to this.
                    Definitely something different from the Farrelly brothers. I bet they were big Tiant fans.

Comment

Here is an update for those wanting to see the movie. ESPN Deportes will premiere it this Sunday at 6 p.m. ET. ESPN will show it Monday night at 10 p.m. ET. Its scheduled to be re-aired in October.

Comment

I watched it tonight. It was very moving. You could see how torn Tiant was to be back in Cuba after not seeing his family for so long. You feel for him as he was in the States and could not at all go back. You got to relive his reunion with his parents before they died, and think about how great Tiant Sr. really was. They even had a short amount of video footage of Tiant Sr. pitching, which I have NO IDEA where they got it from.
                        It's sad how things are in Cuba now. Everyone is poor and I'm sure Tiant didn't realize how bad it was. Hopefully folks can catch it. It's almost as much about Tiant keeping the legacy of his dad alive through him as it is about Tiant and his return to Cuba.
                        Baseball Happenings
                        - Linking baseball's past, present and future.
                        http://baseballhappenings.blogspot.com

Comment

I watched it last night, and recorded it on my DVR. It was a very entertaining and moving documentary. I was moved almost to tears on several occasions while watching it. I had originally thought that his parents were still in Cuba when they passed away; I didn't know that they spent the last year of their life living with him. Seeing how they struggle in Cuba was sad, too. I was especially struck over how they reacted over getting stuff like Pepto-Bismol and chewing gum (!!!) that we take for granted.

I grew up in the projects of Brooklyn, and I can't imagine not going back, or better yet, being prevented to go back for almost 50 years, and stopped from my family and friends.

Comment

Originally posted by TarHeelMan View Post
                            I watched it last night, and recorded it on my DVR. It was a very entertaining and moving documentary. I was moved almost to tears on several occasions while watching it. I had originally thought that his parents were still in Cuba when they passed away; I didn't know that they spent the last year of their life living with him. Seeing how they struggle in Cuba was sad, too. I was especially struck over how they reacted over getting stuff like Pepto-Bismol and chewing gum (!!!) that we take for granted.

I grew up in the projects of Brooklyn, and I can't imagine not going back, or better yet, being prevented to go back for almost 50 years, and stopped from my family and friends.
                            I recorded it to my DVR, but the Red Sox/Tigers game went over and I missed the last 38 minutes of the doc. It cut off right after Tiant Sr. threw the first pitch at Fenway. The Farrelly Bros. really put together something special. Hopefully it will be on dvd soon.

Comment

I don't know about DVD, but according to the press release, it will next air on ESPN Classic on Sunday October 11th at 8 PM Eastern.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...5069974&EDATE=

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X