X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Williams Documentary on HBO

Debuts July 15th.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/129158
    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Did anybody else catch it? Quite good, up to the usual standards of HBO Sports and their consistently good documentaries.

Lots of images and some film (including some color footage of the famous final at bat homer against the Orioles) that I hadn't seen, along with the familiar (but still wonderful) stuff like the color home movies featured in When It Was A Game and the b&w clip of him hitting the walkoff shot in Detroit at the '41 All Star game.

Didn't realize DiMaggio was quite that churlish about Ted behind his back.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

Comment

Yes, I watched it, obviously, it was quite good. I didn't learn anything new from it, as I've probably read everything ever written about Williams, but it was very well done, and like you, I saw some old footage I hadn't seen before.

Dimaggio was churlish about pretty much everything, wasn't he?
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
        Yes, I watched it, obviously, it was quite good. I didn't learn anything new from it, as I've probably read everything ever written about Williams, but it was very well done, and like you, I saw some old footage I hadn't seen before.

I don't get HBO so I didn't get to see it, unfortunately. Just a thought: Ted got along so well with Dominic, and even joined in the joke that Dom had to play two OF positions.

Comment

I don't get HBO either. I have it, but I don't get it.

Comment

One thing I must say though, they were a bit too even handed with the whole death and freezing issue, and in fact, one could say that they sided with John Henry and Claudia on the issue, in fact they seemed to side with John Henry on just about every controversey about the kid.

This despite having a decidedly anti-John Henry author in Leigh Montville on.

Now I'd understand Bobby Jo and her family probably declined to speak with HBO, but it seemed a lot of what her side of the issue, along with the controversy about John Henry possibly forcing Ted to keep signing crap during his final years, was brushed off and mentioned almost because they HAD to mention it.

In fact, probably the only anti remarks that was made was Ted's nephew complaining that people say "Oh yeah, the frozen guy" when talking to him about Ted. Even when talking about how JHW was pushing all that crap on him the comments were tempered by saying "But he was still with Ted." As if keeping up the apperance of the dooting son somehow negates being a slimy POS when it comes to what he was having Ted do, endorse, and even the stories of him and memorabilia dealers.
            NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
            Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
            Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
              One thing I must say though, they were a bit too even handed with the whole death and freezing issue, and in fact, one could say that they sided with John Henry and Claudia on the issue, in fact they seemed to side with John Henry on just about every controversey about the kid.

This despite having a decidedly anti-John Henry author in Leigh Montville on.

Now I'd understand Bobby Jo and her family probably declined to speak with HBO, but it seemed a lot of what her side of the issue, along with the controversy about John Henry possibly forcing Ted to keep signing crap during his final years, was brushed off and mentioned almost because they HAD to mention it.

In fact, probably the only anti remarks that was made was Ted's nephew complaining that people say "Oh yeah, the frozen guy" when talking to him about Ted. Even when talking about how JHW was pushing all that crap on him the comments were tempered by saying "But he was still with Ted." As if keeping up the apperance of the dooting son somehow negates being a slimy POS when it comes to what he was having Ted do, endorse, and even the stories of him and memorabilia dealers.

Yes, Montville paints a very unflattering picture of John Henry in his book, and only hinted at the problems in the doc. I remember reading that when Williams was in the hospital recovering from a stroke, John Henry had him doing exercises to strengthen his right hand so he could begin signing memorabilia again as soon as possible.

Comment

True. I just thought he had more regard for Ted, as much as Ted had for him.

You know the joke about the two kids, the pessimist and the optimist? Ted was always like the kid looking for the pony.
                3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

Comment

Yes, Montville paints a very unflattering picture of John Henry in his book, and only hinted at the problems in the doc. I remember reading that when Williams was in the hospital recovering from a stroke, John Henry had him doing exercises to strengthen his right hand so he could begin signing memorabilia again as soon as possible.
                  One thing that they also failed to push, that they really should have, was the fact that while EVERY SINGLE other person at the 1999 ASG celebration of the All Century Team nominations were wearing caps specfic to the teams that they were most known for (IIRC except for Rickey who for some reason wore his Met cap) JHW, without Ted knowing what was on the hats, switched Ted's Red Sox cap with a cap promoting JHW's failed telecommunications venture, Hitter.net

They showed the footage, but failed to bring up the crassiness of what JHW did to that moment.

Comment

Yes, I had forgotten that, JHW was a piece of work.

Comment

Will HBO be airing this again sometime soon?
                      My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Innings View Post
                        Will HBO be airing this again sometime soon?
                        Schedule here, just type Ted Williams into the search engine.
                        http://www.hbo.com/apps/schedule/ScheduleServlet

Comment

I was disappointed that no mention was made of the John Updike piece ("Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu) during the portion of the film that covered Ted's last game. I was warming up my write arm to send a letter to the producers when Redford ended the show perfectly. I enjoyed it and was particularly touched by the segement on Dan Shaugnessey and his daughter; another side of Williams that never got sufficient coverage.

as for DiMaggio, I'm not sure he ever rose to churlish. he was a pain, I'm told, as a player to interview and I know, from experience, he was a pain, after his playing days. the story has been told how he insisted, at every public event, that the words "the greatest living ballplayer" be included in his introduction. I never failed to have the same reaction: how on earth did I miss Willie Mays dying?
                          After 1957, it seemed like we would never laugh again. Of course, we did. Its just that we were never young again.

Comment

They quoted from the Updike essay at the end, if I remember correctly, just didn't credit him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real McCoy View Post
                              as for DiMaggio, I'm not sure he ever rose to churlish. he was a pain, I'm told, as a player to interview and I know, from experience, he was a pain, after his playing days. the story has been told how he insisted, at every public event, that the words "the greatest living ballplayer" be included in his introduction. I never failed to have the same reaction: how on earth did I miss Willie Mays dying?
                              Heh, yeah, solely off of that 1969 voting that placed him over everyone probably because the voting was more on rep and anecdotal references.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X