The First Fall Classic (Mike Vaccaro)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Fall Classic (Mike Vaccaro)

Can anyone tell me anything about this book, the full title of which is The First Fall Classic: The Red Sox, the Giants and the Cast of Players, Pugs and Politicos Who Re-Invented the World Series in 1912?

I'm reading this at the moment.

It recounts the events of the 1912 World Series (which the author posits is the first of any real note) and places it in socio-political context.

It's a pretty good read.

Comment

Interesting-I would have thought Christy Mathewson's three complete-game shutouts in the 1905 Series would be noteworthy.
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
        Interesting-I would have thought Christy Mathewson's three complete-game shutouts in the 1905 Series would be noteworthy.
        Vaccaro's argument is that 1912 was the first World Series to really capture the public imagination and propel baseball on to the front pages.

Comment

Just finished reading this book...it was great! I'd highly recommend it to all students of the Dead Ball Era, and baseball history fans in general. Vaccaro has a highly engaging writing style that makes it a joy to read. This might make my Top 10 All-TIme favorite baseball books...it's that good.

Comment

I'd also recommend this book. I liked it so much I purchased Vaccaro's other baseball book Emperors and Idiots about the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry and I think it's the best book about that subject.

Scott F
            I told you not to be stupid you moron.

Comment

Originally posted by Meadowlark View Post
              Vaccaro's argument is that 1912 was the first World Series to really capture the public imagination and propel baseball on to the front pages.
              I guess Honus & Cobb in 1909 was ho-hum?
              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
                I guess Honus & Cobb in 1909 was ho-hum?
                It was on Mt. Myopia.
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X