X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I guess Honus & Cobb in 1909 was ho-hum?
    It was on Mt. Myopia.

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by Meadowlark View Post
    Vaccaro's argument is that 1912 was the first World Series to really capture the public imagination and propel baseball on to the front pages.
    I guess Honus & Cobb in 1909 was ho-hum?

Leave a comment:

• steve rogers
    replied
    I'd also recommend this book. I liked it so much I purchased Vaccaro's other baseball book Emperors and Idiots about the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry and I think it's the best book about that subject.

Scott F

Leave a comment:

• GaryL
    replied
    Just finished reading this book...it was great! I'd highly recommend it to all students of the Dead Ball Era, and baseball history fans in general. Vaccaro has a highly engaging writing style that makes it a joy to read. This might make my Top 10 All-TIme favorite baseball books...it's that good.

Leave a comment:

• Meadowlark
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Interesting-I would have thought Christy Mathewson's three complete-game shutouts in the 1905 Series would be noteworthy.
    Vaccaro's argument is that 1912 was the first World Series to really capture the public imagination and propel baseball on to the front pages.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Interesting-I would have thought Christy Mathewson's three complete-game shutouts in the 1905 Series would be noteworthy.

Leave a comment:

• Meadowlark
    replied
    I'm reading this at the moment.

It recounts the events of the 1912 World Series (which the author posits is the first of any real note) and places it in socio-political context.

It's a pretty good read.

Leave a comment:

• Pere
    started a topic The First Fall Classic (Mike Vaccaro)

The First Fall Classic (Mike Vaccaro)

Can anyone tell me anything about this book, the full title of which is The First Fall Classic: The Red Sox, the Giants and the Cast of Players, Pugs and Politicos Who Re-Invented the World Series in 1912?

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X