Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Man Out - by Matt McCarthy of the Provo Angels

http://www.amazon.com/Odd-Man-Out-Le...0828541&sr=8-1

I just finished reading this book and it was by far one of the best sports books I have ever read. McCarthy does an excellent job letting the reader get the feel for what it's like to be part of a low-A ballclub.
    Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Contrary to what most baseball fans claim, a pitched ball which is hit into play is not a strike.

I just purchased this book two days ago. I haven't found time to start it, but it sure looks interesting.

Emmitt

Comment

Odd Man Out

You'll fly through that book. Took me about 3-4 days to read it. Apparently there is some dispute over how factual the book really is and how much of it was embellished, but I think it still paints a great picture of the oddity of minor league ball, where your own teammates and even coaches can sometimes be a bigger opponent than those who wear different uniforms.

Comment

Yeah after reading the book, I read some New York Times articles that featured interviews with some of the players in the book laughing off McCarthy's claims. The stuff about the Dominicans in the shower ... let's just say I had some similar run ins when playing ball in college.
        Baseball Happenings
        - Linking baseball's past, present and future.
        http://baseballhappenings.blogspot.com

Comment

I just got ODD MAN OUT and once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. I read most of the book in one night, and got up and finished it on Sunday.

This guy missed his calling, twice: he should have been a sports novelist.

Excellent book. Very easy to read, very interesting.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X