Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AussieYank
    replied
    I just found that William Ryczek is the author of a book called “Baseball’s First Inning” which deals with the development of baseball during the civil war. It would seem that “When Johnny Came Sliding Home” is the sequel

Obviously the time of the civil war & the war itself played an important part in the history of the game. I do believe however that Peter Morris in his book “But Didn’t We have Fun” plays down the role of the war compared to other authors.

Leave a comment:

• AussieYank
    replied
    Cheers KB

My request may be a bit specific but a number of books have been published on this theme. It’s not just the time of the civil war that interests me but the development of the game in its early years (I do happen to find the civil war interesting as well however). I bought “But Didn’t We Have Fun” on the net last week which I am still waiting to arrive.

I just wanted some feedback on the books I mentioned & any others people have found informative. I will check out “When Johnny Came Sliding Home”.

I will keep the boys, the wife wouldn’t be too happy if I traded them for information about baseball books.

Thanx again

Leave a comment:

• Kentucky Bomber
    replied
    I have the Kirsch book. It's decent. Not only covers the game in the armies, but how it was developing on the home front as well.

Don't really know about any thing pertaining solely to that era....my other book devoted to that general time is "When Johnny Came Sliding Home" by William Ryczek. It covers the years 1865-1870 as the game developed from its Civil War growth. So it's really post-War, but has to reference back to where all these ballplaying vets first encountered the game.

I went through some other books that are early histories of the game, buy the War is only briefly mentioned. Looks like there just isn't a whole lot to choose from.

You may keep the kids.

Leave a comment:

• AussieYank
    replied
    No one on the world’s biggest baseball forum can offer some comments on decent books related to the history of the game around the time of the civil war

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If anyone can help out I will give you my 2 sons. They are well mannered, toilet trained, & a lot of fun. The eldest loves baseball, the youngest thinks it’s boring but could probably be persuaded with thumbscrews

Copy of IMG_0079..JPG

Leave a comment:

• AussieYank
    started a topic Baseball and the civil war

Baseball and the civil war

I want to learn about the early years of baseball particularly its development during the civil war. No doubt numerous books have been written on this subject but the two I keep coming across are:

From Pastime to Passion: Baseball & the Civil War – Patricia Millen
    Baseball in Blue & Gray – George Kirsch

If anyone has read either or both, could you offer a review & maybe your preference, also recommendations of other books. I have not been able to find much in the way of reviews on the net. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X