The Orange Crate Label art of Ben Sakoguchi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Orange Crate Label art of Ben Sakoguchi

Did a search and found no other threads on this so if it is a duplication, my apologies.
    Ben Sakoguchi is a commercial artist, born in 1938 in San Bernadino, CA and as a young boy spent time in an internment camp in Arizona. One of his early artistic influences were the bold, fanciful images on the orange crates that were stacked behind his parents' grocery store. From the late 1970s until the early 1980s, he did several hundred orange crate label paintings, on various subjects, then moved on to other things. In the mid-1990s he returned to the orange crate label format and produced another 200 or so paintings.
    One series he did is called the Unauthorized History of Baseball in 100-Odd Paintings.

In 2006, David Davis wrote a small article for SI which you can read here.

If interested in viewing Mr. Sakoguchi's work regarding baseball, you can go here. There are 13 groups of paintings in all and they can be accessed individually from links on the left-hand side of the page, under the heading "THE UNAUTHORIZED HISTORY OF BASEBALL", subheading "ALL PAINTINGS 1994-2008".

Hope some find this to be of interest.
    Last edited by rbrittain56; 08-16-2010, 03:16 PM.
    Hot ziggity dog and sassafras tea! - Loel Passe :radio

I thought our very own west coast orange and black does art similar to this
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Maybe he is Mr. Sakoguchi? I really like the work.
      Hot ziggity dog and sassafras tea! - Loel Passe :radio

Comment

Originally posted by rbrittain56 View Post
        Maybe he is Mr. Sakoguchi? I really like the work.
        I always thought he was Tony M., but you can PM him
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X