X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Los Bravos
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Green View Post
    Actually, after the first three, editor Charles Einstein did The Baseball Reader, the best of the first three volumes
    I have that one. It includes Stump's magazine article on Cobb, Scully's call of the last inning of Koufax's perfect game, Roger Angell's piece on the '75 Series and Updike's Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu, among others.

Leave a comment:

• apbaball
    replied
    Anyone have either of the baseball readers?
    There was a second one published in 1991.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by John Kelin View Post
    Thank you for the replies.

I guess I should have hunted around some more on this site before posting my question. After making the post, I found not only a reference but images of the book covers on the thread, "Books Sticky Request."

But yes, I see my error now: there's The Fireside Book of Baseball, followed by The Second Fireside Book of Baseball, and The THird Fireside Book of Baseball. I had assumed it was a three volume set. What can I say...it's been an awfully long time!

Anyone ever seen Bill Stern's Favorite Baseball Stories? I think that's the correct title. I must be in an extremely nostalgic mood...
    I have a copy of that as well as Stern's boxing stories.

Do you have Frank Graham's Baseball Wit and Wisdom? That's a personal favorite of mine.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Green
    replied
    Actually, after the first three, editor Charles Einstein did The Baseball Reader, the best of the first three volumes, and later put out a fourth volume.

Leave a comment:

• John Kelin
    replied
    Thank you for the replies.

I guess I should have hunted around some more on this site before posting my question. After making the post, I found not only a reference but images of the book covers on the thread, "Books Sticky Request."

But yes, I see my error now: there's The Fireside Book of Baseball, followed by The Second Fireside Book of Baseball, and The THird Fireside Book of Baseball. I had assumed it was a three volume set. What can I say...it's been an awfully long time!

Anyone ever seen Bill Stern's Favorite Baseball Stories? I think that's the correct title. I must be in an extremely nostalgic mood...

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    There were three volumes, although I've never read the third. The first is a delight, and worth seeking out if it's still in print.

Leave a comment:

• Beady
    replied
    That was the title, and they were not multivolume, but separate editions, not that this would make a difference to the reader of an anthology of this sort, but it meant that the second one was published under the title of The Second Fireside Book of Baseball, and that is likely why you couldn't find it. I don't know about a third.

Leave a comment:

• John Kelin
    started a topic Fireside Book of Baseball

Fireside Book of Baseball

Hi all,

I've not posted here before, just lurked.

When I was a kid, which was about two ice ages ago, I had a set of books that MIGHT have been called the "Fireside Book of Baseball."

I'm not sure about that title. After a web search I have only come up with a single-volume "Fireside Book of Baseball," first published in 1956. I remember mine as a three volume set.

Great books – a mix of serious writing about baseball history and lore, with lighter, more humorous stuff. I remember a lot of pictures and cartoon panels. I also remember sketches of the interiors of classic stadiums like Forbes Field, Fenway, Tiger Stadium, and so on. There was an excerpt from the Al Stump biography of Ty Cobb, too, and lots of other items of interest.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Does anyone know the correct title? My copies are long gone, but I'd like to track them down via a used book web site I use a lot.

Thanks.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X