Best baseball movie for kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best baseball movie for kids

My son is 5 and loves baseball. He recently saw a preview for Field of Dreams, and has been begging me to rent it, but I don't think he's quite ready for that one. Any suggestions?

The Sandlot,hands down.Nothing really inapporite(sp) about that one,except one kissing scene.

Comment

Thanks for reminding me. I saw that one years ago and I remember it being a lot of fun. I may try to rent it this weekend.

Anyone got any more?

Comment

I've got a couple......

Rookie of the year.....Kid breaks his arm, tendons heal tight, and he suddenly can throw 100+ miles per hour, and the he signs with the cubs.

Little Big League.....Kid's grandfather dies and leaves him the Minnesota Twins, the kid then decides to become manager of the twins and leads them to well....youll have to find that one out for yourself.

The Rookie....Dennis Quaid plays the teacher/baseball coach of Big Lake highschool's baseball team and then tries out for the Devil Rays and makes the team.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Comment

I thought about The Rookie - great movie, but I don't think he's ready for that one yet either. I remember it being a little slow at times, and heavy on the drama...maybe in a couple years. The other two sound good though.

What about The Bad News Bears? Never seen it, but always wanted to. I guess now's my chance.

Can't wait 'til he's old enough to watch Bull Durham with me.

Comment

bad new bears (old and new) is inappropriate for children under 13 - racial slurs and such

sandlot is great for kids - probably #1

loved the rookie but kids like the stories about kids better - add adults and it gets more complicated and slower-paced for them - hence more boring

Comment

Originally posted by bkmckenna
              bad new bears (old and new) is inappropriate for children under 13 - racial slurs and such
              Thanks for the heads up. I'd heard that about the new one, but wasn't sure about the original. The Sandlot is definitely at the top of the list.

Comment

In the late 70's, or early 80's, Gary Coleman made a baseball film with Robert Guillame. I think it was called "The Kid from Left Field". Nice family film.
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

"The Stratton Story" starring Jimmy Stewart. Great life lessons about overcoming adversity.

Comment

Sandlot
                    Sandlot 2
                    Angels in the outfield
                    Rookie of the year.
                    The Disney movie with the dog Bud.
                    The 5'7" 245 lb. Monster

Comment

Probably rookie of the year and sandlot. I'ld pick Sandlot though. I'm sure your son will love the chewing tabacco scene. They cut that part out when it gets shown on tv.
                      Yankees '09

Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

Comment

I think we're forgetting how good Angels in the Outfield is.

Sandlot is good. Sandlot 2 is bad. Rookie of the Year is good. Saw a movie several years ago called The Man in Left Field that was pretty good.

Field of Dreams could work too.
                        http://capitalfrontiers.com

Comment

My favorite baseball quote of all time:

"Pitcher, pitcher, pitcher.....underwear sticher!!!"

-Rookie of the Year
                          Yankees '09

Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

Comment

I recently saw Mickey - A Family Story by John Grisham and thought it was very good. Grisham is a baseball dad/LL coach and this movie is his tribute to youth baseball. Grisham obviously loves the sport and took painstaking care in making the baseball scenes (of which there are many) as authentic as possible. This was a movie by baseball dads for baseball dads, plain and simple. I loved it.

That said, the plot revolves around some heavy moral and ethical questions (lying, cheating, breaking the law, etc.), and the few comedic moments are subtle and understated, so it's not appropriate for younger kids who won't understand what's going on and may be turned off by the lack of slapstick humor. Aside from that it was a great flick and I highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse
                              Thanks for the heads up. I'd heard that about the new one, but wasn't sure about the original.
                              I think the original is a little less problematic than the recent remake. Walter Mathau is funny.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X