Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your FAVORITE baseball movies of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your FAVORITE baseball movies of all time?

Feel free to name just your top favorite or rank a list. My top favorite would have to be Major League, obviously, but I also really liked, "Rookie of the Year", "Angels in the Outfield", and "The Sandlot". I wish they would release another really good baseball movie soon.

There is a thread on this subject but I would say as of now these are my top 5.

1. Bad News Bears (1976) It was just a raw film and the ending is still a "I cant turn off kinda film." I still wish they won but I love how they drink beer and Tanner tells the Yankees off.
    2. 61..The Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris movie made by Billy Crystal. I love some of the scenes which really did a good job of making it real. I dont think a baseball movie has ever picked actors who look the same as players.
    3. Major league..I love the ending and it wasn't corny like the sequels.
    4. Field Of Dreams...It was just a great story.
    5. The Natural...But this is debatable because i loved Bang the Drum Slowly and Eight Men Out too.

I hate to admit it but I did like The League Of Their Own too. I really dont like Bull Durham too much anymore but i'll watch it if it's on.

MoneyBall was a good one too. But like a recent player who should be a top 5 position player, I dont think i'm ready to put this in my top 5 yet.
    Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 05-25-2012, 02:53 AM.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

In no particular order, "Bull Durham", "Major League", "Field of Dreams", and "The Natural".

Amongst the old-time movies I really enjoy "It Happens Every Spring".
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot, "Field of Dreams". It is actually a top favorite. However, Major League 2 was pretty good, but the Back to The Minors was just ignorant. As far as there being a post about this on here somewhere else, I just joined this board 3 or 4 days ago, so I'm sure I'm going to make similar or even identical posts. Cut me some slack.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobu Voodoo View Post
          Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot, "Field of Dreams". It is actually a top favorite. However, Major League 2 was pretty good, but the Back to The Minors was just ignorant. As far as there being a post about this on here somewhere else, I just joined this board 3 or 4 days ago, so I'm sure I'm going to make similar or even identical posts. Cut me some slack.
          You can look up the other thread too to see what past members have as their favorites is what I meant.
          "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Field Of Dreams
            The Natural
            Cobb
            Eight Men Out
            Major League
            Bad News Bears (Both versions w/ Walter Matheau, and Billy Bob Thornton)

Comment

Field of Dreams
              Bull Durham
              Sandlot
              Inning By Inning: A Portrait of a Coach
              Major League
              Sent from my mobile device... probably while driving...

Comment

Big fan of all the "usual" baseball movies like Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, The Natural, etc....

But I also like movies like A Player to Be Named Later, Touching the Game (Alaska and Cape Cod), Time in the Minors, This Old Cub, or Spaceman: A Baseball Odyssey
                Baseball Journeyman

Comment

Sugar
                  Bull Durham
                  The Natural
                  Pride of the Yankees
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

In no particular order:
                    For Love of the Game
                    Pride of the Yankee's
                    The Natural
                    Bull Durham
                    Home Run Showdown
                    Bad News Bears - original & remake
                    Just a baseball layman trying to make sense of it all...

Comment

Although this topic has had other threads, new information comes to light which makes it worthwhile. The recent issue of Sports Illustrated answers the annual question of Where Are They Now?, and it has an article on Bull Durham, my favorite baseball flick. It turns out that the producers of the movie had trouble rounding up enough extras to serve as fans in the stands, after the minor league season was over in September, 1987. The producers had connections with the band Pink Floyd, on tour up the road in North Carolina at the time. The band asked fans at a concert to party with them after the show, presumably at the minor league park where filming was in progress. Presto! Fans galore.

This was before CGI made it possible to fill the stands without all the real thing. Ahhhh, the movies of old and the old school ways of doing things without technology.

Anyway, my list:

1. Bull Durham
                      2. Field Of Dreams -- kind of the Forrest Gump of sports movies...... ?
                      3. Eight Men Out --- David Straithern was terrific as Eddie Cicotte, given that not much is known about Cicotte today
                      4. The Rookie ---- vastly underappreciated
                      5. A League Of Their Own --- holds up really well years later
                      Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
                        Although this topic has had other threads, new information comes to light which makes it worthwhile. The recent issue of Sports Illustrated answers the annual question of Where Are They Now?, and it has an article on Bull Durham, my favorite baseball flick. It turns out that the producers of the movie had trouble rounding up enough extras to serve as fans in the stands, after the minor league season was over in September, 1987. The producers had connections with the band Pink Floyd, on tour up the road in North Carolina at the time. The band asked fans at a concert to party with them after the show, presumably at the minor league park where filming was in progress. Presto! Fans galore.

This was before CGI made it possible to fill the stands without all the real thing. Ahhhh, the movies of old and the old school ways of doing things without technology.

Anyway, my list:

1. Bull Durham
                        2. Field Of Dreams -- kind of the Forrest Gump of sports movies...... ?
                        3. Eight Men Out --- David Straithern was terrific as Eddie Cicotte, given that not much is known about Cicotte today
                        4. The Rookie ---- vastly underappreciated
                        5. A League Of Their Own --- holds up really well years later
                        Has anyone here seen IT HAPPENS EVERY APRIL starring Ray Milland? It is very old school but the story about the magic potion that causes a ball to dodge bats is very clever.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Gallanter View Post
                          Has anyone here seen IT HAPPENS EVERY APRIL starring Ray Milland? It is very old school but the story about the magic potion that causes a ball to dodge bats is very clever.
                          I believe it's titled "It Happens Every Spring". It's worth seeing.
                          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

In order of favorite to least favorite:
                            Eight Men Out- Nothing has ever topped this. Always wished Straithern could've portrayed Sandy Koufax.
                            A League of Their Own- Great acting, dialogue, and use of setting
                            Moneyball
                            The Natural
                            Field of Dreams
                            Pride of the Yankees
                            Major League
                            It Happens Every Spring
                            Bull Durham- never a huge fan
                            Bang the Drum Slowly
                            The Sandlot
                            For the Love of the Game
                            Last edited by Tyrus4189Cobb; 07-31-2012, 11:29 AM.
                            "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Bang The Drum Slowly and The Sandlot are the only baseball movies I've cared for.
                              Field Of Dreams struck me as silly, and I was prepared to love Eight Men Out and ended up bored stiff.
                              "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X