Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your FAVORITE baseball movies of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    It's well-intentioned, but highly fictional. I personally thought the truth was interesting enough.
    Specially which parts were fictional, aches? You have said this before without giving any details other than stating in another thread that Robinson probably never met Satchel Paige nor Josh Gibson. When it was mentioned that Robinson and Paige were actually teammates in 1945 and they faced Josh Gibson on the ballfield in 1945, like the movie showed, you never responded.

satch-and-jack.jpg

tumblr_lf4wk3hROW1qbkeff.jpg
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Is that Jimmy Dykes with Jimmy Stewart in the last picture?
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
        Specially which parts were fictional, aches? You have said this before without giving any details other than stating in another thread that Robinson probably never met Satchel Paige nor Josh Gibson. When it was mentioned that Robinson and Paige were actually teammates in 1945 and they faced Josh Gibson on the ballfield in 1945, like the movie showed, you never responded. :shru:]
        So what are you looking for; an apology? A "Surrender Post"? Mea culpa, apparently they did know each other. I didn't think a response was necessary.

But how about this: At the end of the film, there's a big deal made about an exhibition game between Negro League stars and Major Leaguers, which is supposed to be Josh Gibson's shot at impressing the MLB powers that be with his talent, and maybe cracking the Big Leagues. But on the day of the game, the skies open up, and the exhibition is rained out, spoiling Gibson's chance. This was pure fiction. Sure, there were barnstorming games, some of which Gibson no doubt played in, but this rainout scenario never happened. There were more inconsistencies, but I haven't seen the film in about 15 years, that's all I can specifically remember.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
          So what are you looking for; an apology? A "Surrender Post"? Mea culpa, apparently they did know each other. I didn't think a response was necessary.
          No apology necessary. I just thought it was strange to state that Jackie never met the two most famous Negro Leaguers of that era. What led you to believe that? Just asking...

But how about this: At the end of the film, there's a big deal made about an exhibition game between Negro League stars and Major Leaguers, which is supposed to be Josh Gibson's shot at impressing the MLB powers that be with his talent, and maybe cracking the Big Leagues. But on the day of the game, the skies open up, and the exhibition is rained out, spoiling Gibson's chance. This was pure fiction. Sure, there were barnstorming games, some of which Gibson no doubt played in, but this rainout scenario never happened. There were more inconsistencies, but I haven't seen the film in about 15 years, that's all I can specifically remember.
          Ok, a little bit of Hollywood there for sure, though ?I have never researched this particular game. But I don't think it took away from the film, though. I'm curious to know if Gibson had mental health issues to the level portrayed in the film.
          Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM.
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Chicagowhitesox1173, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Melottfan View Post
              Chicagowhitesox1173, yes it is.
              Thx, yeah I read Jimmy Dykes book and i'm pretty sure he had a part in The Monty Stratton story. I should watch this movie again.

Actually after looking The Monty Stratton story up quite a few ball players had small roles in the movie. Joe Dimaggio, Bill Dickey, Gus Zernial and Gene Mauch. I could be wrong but I think Coach from the tv show Cheers played in the movie too.
              Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 01-16-2013, 01:02 PM.
              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

The Sandlot and Major League: Back to the Minors rank up there. Field of Dreams is cool.

Comment

Eight Men Out
                  Bang the Drum Slowly

IMO there were only two things wrong with 'The Natural', Robert Redford and the story.

Comment

Pride of the Yankees
                    Eight Men Out
                    Field of Dreams
                    Pride of St. Louis
                    Jackie Robinson Story

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                      The Sandlot and Major League: Back to the Minors rank up there. Field of Dreams is cool.
                      Glad to know I'm not the only one who enjoyed Major League: Back to the Minors. In a lot of ways, it's better than the 2nd one, for me.

I'd also include:
                      Major League
                      The Rookie
                      For Love of the Game

61* was also really good.
                      Favorite players past/present: Cal Ripken, Jr., Chipper Jones, Adam Jones, Javy Lopez, Josh Hamilton, Mike Piazza

Harry Doyle: "And for the Indians, that's one run on, let's see...one hit? That's all we got? One godd**n hit?!"
                      Monty: "You can't say godd**n on the air!"
                      Harry Doyle: "Don't worry, nobody's listening anyways."
                      ~Major League (1989)~

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                        I thought The Sandlot was ok but The Bad News Bears original was way better. That little Tanner kid was great in that movie. The Sandlot reminds me of a episode of Saved by the Bell by how family friendly it was. It got annoying after awhile with the crazy dog and the goofy kid who didn't know who Babe Ruth was. I mean cmon a ball is sitting in a mantle case and he actually thinks it's a good idea to play baseball with it.
                        Instead of helping the kid retrieve the ball they shoulda beat the kid up.
                        I liked them both, "The Sandlot" lives in a little fantasy world where a black man played ML ball with Ruth and Gehrig and your buddy who was a star in your sandlot becomes a ML star while you announce his game. BNB is a classic '70s gritty reality movie where the star LL hitter is a biker who smokes and the coach should be in AA. "The Sandlot" is a bit too sweet and silly but very fun, while BNB can be depressing if you're not in the right mood...it hit me the wrong way when I recently watched it for the first time since seeing it in the theater, but then I liked it more after another viewing.
                        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

I'm surprised nobody has nominated Long Gone. Terrific film and it has Teller in a speaking part.

Comment

The Babe Ruth Story is one of the best sports comedies of all time. It was a comedy, right?

Comment

Originally posted by walter sobchak View Post
                              I'm surprised nobody has nominated Long Gone. Terrific film and it has Teller in a speaking part.
                              That's the answer right there. Love that movie!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X