Players Who Are Actors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players Who Are Actors

I've seen a few (current and former) MLB players who actually took up acting roles, i.e. not portraying themselves onscreen:

- Ron Darling played the Hawaiian news commentator in The Day After Tomorrow

- Keith Hernandez was in an episode of Law & Order a few years ago
    (like I said, I'm not counting when they portray themselves, so Keith's appearance on Seinfeld doesn't count)

- Shane Victorino in the remake of Hawaii 5-0

- The actor who played David Justice in Moneyball is a (mostly minor league) player IRL

Any others?
    Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 05-31-2012, 10:30 AM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Obviously, Bob Uecker. Major League and Mr. Belvedere
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Johnny Berardino is one who comes readily to mind. Eleven years in the majors, then he plays Dr. Steve Hardy on General Hospital for what, about two million years? (LOL) As you can guess, I'm not a soap opera kind of guy, but he was on that show for quite a few years.

Comment

And, of course, Chuck Connors.

Comment

Johnny Berardino of the old St. Louis Browns played a doctor on the soap opera General Hospital for many years.

Royce Clayton had a small part in Moneyball.

Chuck Connors had an undistinguished career as a 1st baseman with the Brooklyn Dodgers and the Cubs. He had better success in Hollywood.

Edit: Chinese Home Run posted Chuck Connors and Berardino while I was looking up Berardino and typing this post, sorry for the duplication.
          Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 05-31-2012, 06:21 PM.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Todd Zeile

Comment

Originally posted by chinese home run View Post
              Johnny Berardino is one who comes readily to mind. Eleven years in the majors, then he plays Dr. Steve Hardy on General Hospital for what, about two million years? (LOL) As you can guess, I'm not a soap opera kind of guy, but he was on that show for quite a few years.
              I looked him up on wikipedia and he's the only guy to have a star on the walk of fame and a world series ring. I never heard of him until you and aches and pains mentioned him but he started acting in 1946 and stopped acting in 1993. He was also a WW2 vet. Apparently he also played in the old tv show "Our Gang" when he was a kid but never got credited for his role.
              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Ray Lamb's baseball cards said he was an actor in the off-season. I don't believe he has IMDB listing.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                  Apparently he also played in the old tv show "Our Gang" when he was a kid but never got credited for his role.
                  This is probably an urban legend. Leonard Maltin tracked down virtually every kid who appeared in a speaking role in Our Gang and I don't believe Berardino even appeared in Our Gang, unless he was an extra.

Comment

John Kruk played an unconvincing baseball player and an even more unconvincing corpse in The Fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
                      I've seen a few (current and former) MLB players who actually took up acting roles, i.e. not portraying themselves onscreen:

- Ron Darling played the Hawaiian news commentator in The Day After Tomorrow

- Keith Hernandez was in an episode of Law & Order a few years ago
                      (like I said, I'm not counting when they portray themselves, so Keith's appearance on Seinfeld doesn't count)

?
                      I would count Hernandez's Seinfeld appearance. Even though he played himself, it wasn't a cameo. It was similar to Wil Wheaton playing himself on The Big Bang Theory.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                        I looked him up on wikipedia and he's the only guy to have a star on the walk of fame and a world series ring. I never heard of him until you and aches and pains mentioned him but he started acting in 1946 and stopped acting in 1993. He was also a WW2 vet. Apparently he also played in the old tv show "Our Gang" when he was a kid but never got credited for his role.
                        If Bill Veeck is to be believed in his terrific autobiography, "Veeck as In Wreck," he explained that Berardino had picked up some acting roles when he picked him up in 1948. Berardino had an agent at that time, and he announced that his agent was going to negotiate his contract with the Indians. It was all a publicity stunt- both Berardino and Veeck knew how much John was going to get paid- and John turned to his agent and said, "You'd better leave now. You're not very practical and you'll end up getting Bill so mad that you'll wing up costing me money." Try that now (lol)

Comment

Originally posted by chinese home run View Post
                          If Bill Veeck is to be believed in his terrific autobiography, "Veeck as In Wreck," he explained that Berardino had picked up some acting roles when he picked him up in 1948. Berardino had an agent at that time, and he announced that his agent was going to negotiate his contract with the Indians. It was all a publicity stunt- both Berardino and Veeck knew how much John was going to get paid- and John turned to his agent and said, "You'd better leave now. You're not very practical and you'll end up getting Bill so mad that you'll wing up costing me money." Try that now (lol)
                          Veeck also claimed that he insured Berardino's face in case of disfigurement.

Comment

Wes Parker had some TV roles I believe.
                            Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

I know that back in the late 1970s-early 1980s, Mike Schmidt and some other Phillies had brief walkons as (IIRC) construction workers on some daytime soap. Pro athletes, who spend most of their road trips watching TV in different hotel rooms across the US, are often closet soap opera fans...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X