Players Who Are Actors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ajmilner View Post
    I know that back in the late 1970s-early 1980s, Mike Schmidt and some other Phillies had brief walkons as (IIRC) construction workers on some daytime soap.
    I wonder if any viewers thought Mike was Chuck Norris. :lol:
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

I thought I read somewhere that Ichiro played some kind of a cereal killer in a Japanese-TV movie a couple years ago or something. I don't think he was playing himself in the role.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
        I thought I read somewhere that Ichiro played some kind of a cereal killer in a Japanese-TV movie a couple years ago or something. I don't think he was playing himself in the role.
        Are you referencing the Too Much Joy CD "Cereal Killers" here?
        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Chuck Connors`only at bat as a Dodger was when he was used as a pinch hitter for Carl Furillo(to avoid a possible double play)and promptly hit into a... DOUBLE PLAY!Connors`more illustrative Dodger teammate,Duke Snider,made several guest appearances on The Rifleman.A friend of mine in college was Buzzie Bavasi`s niece and she told me about the time that Connors "represented" Koufax and Drysdale when they did a double hold-out for more money.It failed.
          Last edited by Nimrod; 06-14-2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
            Do you have any info that does not involve the mariners?

Comment

I dont really count the Simpson's episode when they had like 9 players on it but it is interesting how Jose Canseco who was one of the guests was written in to have a extra-marital affair with Bart's schoolteacher but the script had to be re-written because Canseco's wife at the time objected to the affair.

Jim Lefebvre of the Dodgers got payed 60 bucks for appearing on Batman and he also appeared on Gilligans Island where they asked him if he was a Ginger or MaryAnn guy he replied both im single.

Warren Spahn who was a big war hero in WW2 appeared on the tv show Combat as a German soldier.

Johnny Bench was on either the Patridge Family or the Waltons and also played in Mission Impossible. He also played in the movie Easy Rider The Ride Back (2011) as a mlb scout and an episode of Yes Dear where he plays himself with Ernie Banks and Frank Robinson.

Nolan Ryan had a pretty long scene in Ryans Hope. (soap opera)
              Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 06-15-2012, 08:59 AM.
              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Nick Swisher was in an episode of How I Met Your Mother.

Ken Griffey Jr. was in an episode of Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

And Jim Abbott (Think thats his last name, it was the guy who has one hand and threw a no hitter) was on an episode of Boy Meets World.

EDIT: Dang it i missed the part about not playing themselves, Im pretty sure all three of these guys played themselves in these shows. Sorry everyone.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken Roger Clemens starred as a pitcher in the movie "Cobb"

Comment

1982 Cy Young Award Winner Pete Vuckovich played Yankee Slugger Clu Haywood in Major League.

Comment

Jim Bouton was in Robert Altman's film The Long Goodbye.
                      "Heck, all I got was a $100 check. I should have kept it and framed it, but I had to eat".

Infielder Bob Hegman, when asked if he received a World Series ring for playing one inning of one game with the World
                      Champion 1985 Kansas City Royals.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                        Obviously, Bob Uecker. Major League and Mr. Belvedere
                        Hmmmmm....can we have a judge's ruling on this one?

Yes he is Harry Coyle in Major League, and whomever his character was in Belvedere, but you can make a case that the characters were extensions of the actor's real life persona?

Sort of like Rosanne Barr/Arnold PLAYING Rosanne Connor whom is loosely based on Barr's real life personae.
                        NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                        Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                        Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
                          Hmmmmm....can we have a judge's ruling on this one?

Yes he is Harry Coyle in Major League, and whomever his character was in Belvedere, but you can make a case that the characters were extensions of the actor's real life persona?

Sort of like Rosanne Barr/Arnold PLAYING Rosanne Connor whom is loosely based on Barr's real life personae.
                          I'm no judge but I would say he was a real actor having played in 3 movies and 5 or 6 seasons in Mr. Belvidere. I would have to think when he announces games he's different from his Major League character. I think he was a sportswriter in Mr. Belvidere.

Did they ever have any MLB players on Mr. Belvidere.
                          "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                            I'm no judge but I would say he was a real actor having played in 3 movies and 5 or 6 seasons in Mr. Belvidere. I would have to think when he announces games he's different from his Major League character. I think he was a sportswriter in Mr. Belvidere.

Did they ever have any MLB players on Mr. Belvidere.
                            I thought his character was the local TV news sports anchor, hence why I wondered if part of his real life personae came out in that role.

Oh yeah, I'm sure he's not calling every wild pitch that goes away from a hitter as "JUUUUUUUUST a bit outside" and the like, but isn't Coyle pretty much the same Uecker that you see in the Miller Light ads and whenever he does his routine when giving speeches and such?
                            NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                            Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                            Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
                              I thought his character was the local TV news sports anchor, hence why I wondered if part of his real life personae came out in that role.

Oh yeah, I'm sure he's not calling every wild pitch that goes away from a hitter as "JUUUUUUUUST a bit outside" and the like, but isn't Coyle pretty much the same Uecker that you see in the Miller Light ads and whenever he does his routine when giving speeches and such?
                              I think your right i'm pretty sure he was a sports anchor in that show. I do see your point on this now.

Comment

Who could forget Lou Gehrig`s classic 1938 performance in "Rawhide"?(I could).rawhide.jpeg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X