Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Players Who Are Actors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    I had no idea Donlin was in that. It's arguably still the best Civil War film ever made.
    I'm going to have to find this one now...it's got pretty tough competition for that title from "Gettysburg", but your comment has piqued my interest.

    I take it that Donlin is the sideburned man in the left foreground, with no facial hair?
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
      I'm going to have to find this one now...it's got pretty tough competition for that title from "Gettysburg", but your comment has piqued my interest.

      I take it that Donlin is the sideburned man in the left foreground, with no facial hair?
      The General very often makes top 20 Greatest Movies ever lists.Orson Welles considered it THE greatest film ever.It is a comedy that just happens to be set in the Civil War(filmed at Cottage Grove,Oregon).Many critics have remarked on how it looks like Mathew Brady photos coming to life on the big screen.Great sight gags and the usual incredible stunts by the Great Stone face.Check it out on YouTube as well(the one by Mrfilmschatten has the best image and music imo) as well as the various shorts and "best of" and "stunt" clips by Keaton.Donlin is on the left with cigar in left hand and sporting sideburns(mutton chops).
      Last edited by Nimrod; 09-09-2012, 07:47 AM.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
        The General very often makes top 20 Greatest Movies ever lists.Orson Welles considered it THE greatest film ever.It is a comedy that just happens to be set in the Civil War(filmed at Cottage Grove,Oregon).Many critics have remarked on how it looks like Mathew Brady photos coming to life on the big screen.Great sight gags and the usual incredible stunts by the Great Stone face.Check it out on YouTube as well(the one by Mrfilmschatten has the best image and music imo) as well as the various shorts and "best of" and "stunt" clips by Keaton.Donlin is on the left with cigar in left hand and sporting sideburns(mutton chops).
        I see now that "The General" is considered to be one of the all time great films, but, as you said, happens to be set in the Civil War instead of really being about it. I'll still keep an eye out for it. Guess I need to respect Welles' opinion, but I also remember that guy ranked Gallo Bros wine pretty highly...
        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
          I see now that "The General" is considered to be one of the all time great films, but, as you said, happens to be set in the Civil War instead of really being about it. I'll still keep an eye out for it. Guess I need to respect Welles' opinion, but I also remember that guy ranked Gallo Bros wine pretty highly...
          There are battle scenes, etc. It is loosely based on the actual Union theft of the General supply train in 1862, which would lead to the first congressional medals of honor being awarded. Keaton at his best.

          Turkey Mike Donlin was a known "eccentric." He actually acted in over 60 films, mostly in uncredited roles.

          http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0232592/

          Speaking of Gettysburg, Braves owner Ted Turner, who helped finance the movie and its prequel Gods and Generals, appears in a non-speaking role as one of the participants in the climactic Pickett's charge scene. He did have a line in Gods and Generals, speaking to Stephen Lang's (who may have been the only actor to pull off the role of Babe Ruth in an early 90's TV movie) Stonewall Jackson at a ball held for Confederate officers.
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
            There are battle scenes, etc. It is loosely based on the actual Union theft of the General supply train in 1862, which would lead to the first congressional medals of honor being awarded. Keaton at his best.

            Turkey Mike Donlin was a known "eccentric." He actually acted in over 60 films, mostly in uncredited roles.

            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0232592/

            Speaking of Gettysburg, Braves owner Ted Turner, who helped finance the movie and its prequel Gods and Generals, appears in a non-speaking role as one of the participants in the climactic Pickett's charge scene. He did have a line in Gods and Generals, speaking to Stephen Lang's (who may have been the only actor to pull off the role of Babe Ruth in an early 90's TV movie) Stonewall Jackson at a ball held for Confederate officers.
            I am watching "Gods And Generals" in pieces right now, not enjoying it as much as "Gettysburg" so far but it's worth watching. I was a little disappointed to find Duvall playing Lee instead of Sheen, whom I thought was brilliant in the first movie, but you can't really go wrong with either man. I'm also reading a book about the battle and find that the focus on Little Round Top in "Gettysburg" is a little deceiving because the Union forces lost a lot of ground elsewhere on the field during the second day...their focus was really on holding the most favorable ground in the area until full forces arrived and they did that, but being pushed back at all must have been demoralizing (damn Sickles!!).
            BTW, I found both movies in the $5 bin at MalWart...dig a lot of good flicks out of there.
            "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
              I am watching "Gods And Generals" in pieces right now, not enjoying it as much as "Gettysburg" so far but it's worth watching. I was a little disappointed to find Duvall playing Lee instead of Sheen, whom I thought was brilliant in the first movie, but you can't really go wrong with either man. I'm also reading a book about the battle and find that the focus on Little Round Top in "Gettysburg" is a little deceiving because the Union forces lost a lot of ground elsewhere on the field during the second day...their focus was really on holding the most favorable ground in the area until full forces arrived and they did that, but being pushed back at all must have been demoralizing (damn Sickles!!).
              BTW, I found both movies in the $5 bin at MalWart...dig a lot of good flicks out of there.
              Gettysburg is fairly faithful to the book The Killer Angels. Its author, Michael Shaara, won the Pulitzer for it. It's a fictonalized account of "high points" of each day of the battle. He also wrote the book For the Love of the Game. Dave Eiland is the only former player I recognized in the credits as someone who was playing in the game in the movie.
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

              Comment


              • #52
                An image of Chuck Connors courtesy of the Water and Power Associates:

                Chuck_Conners.jpg
                (1951) - Chuck Connors, baseball player for both the Angels and the Hollywood Stars. During his short baseball career, 1949 - 1951, Conners also played on the Brooklyn Dodgers and Chicago Cubs.

                Comment


                • #53
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioLSmcM4Pb4

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHb9FLb_kTU
                  Your Second Base Coach
                  Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. That’s equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Jophery Brown was a pitcher in the Cubs organization in the 1960. He pitched in 1 major league game. But he was also an actor and stuntman.





                    Here he is playing a guard in The Relic





                    Here's a nice tribute to Brown, who won a lifetime achievement award for his stunt work. Brown's tribute starts at the 10:00 mark!

                    Last edited by dgarza; 09-12-2015, 02:35 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Todd Zeile has acted and produced. He had a producer/behind the ssenes role in the Charlie Sheen series "Anger Management".

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Roger Clemens was in Kingpin

                        Comment

                        Ad Widget

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X