• Show
Clear All

• machinehead11
    replied
    Roger Clemens was in Kingpin

Leave a comment:

• philliesfiend55
    replied
    Todd Zeile has acted and produced. He had a producer/behind the ssenes role in the Charlie Sheen series "Anger Management".

Leave a comment:

• dgarza
    replied
    Jophery Brown was a pitcher in the Cubs organization in the 1960. He pitched in 1 major league game. But he was also an actor and stuntman.

Here he is playing a guard in The Relic

Here's a nice tribute to Brown, who won a lifetime achievement award for his stunt work. Brown's tribute starts at the 10:00 mark!

Last edited by dgarza; 09-12-2015, 01:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Second Base Coach
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioLSmcM4Pb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHb9FLb_kTU

Leave a comment:

• Capital City Goofball
    replied
    An image of Chuck Connors courtesy of the Water and Power Associates:

Chuck_Conners.jpg
    (1951) - Chuck Connors, baseball player for both the Angels and the Hollywood Stars. During his short baseball career, 1949 - 1951, Conners also played on the Brooklyn Dodgers and Chicago Cubs.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    I am watching "Gods And Generals" in pieces right now, not enjoying it as much as "Gettysburg" so far but it's worth watching. I was a little disappointed to find Duvall playing Lee instead of Sheen, whom I thought was brilliant in the first movie, but you can't really go wrong with either man. I'm also reading a book about the battle and find that the focus on Little Round Top in "Gettysburg" is a little deceiving because the Union forces lost a lot of ground elsewhere on the field during the second day...their focus was really on holding the most favorable ground in the area until full forces arrived and they did that, but being pushed back at all must have been demoralizing (damn Sickles!!).
    BTW, I found both movies in the $5 bin at MalWart...dig a lot of good flicks out of there.
    Gettysburg is fairly faithful to the book The Killer Angels. Its author, Michael Shaara, won the Pulitzer for it. It's a fictonalized account of "high points" of each day of the battle. He also wrote the book For the Love of the Game. Dave Eiland is the only former player I recognized in the credits as someone who was playing in the game in the movie.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    There are battle scenes, etc. It is loosely based on the actual Union theft of the General supply train in 1862, which would lead to the first congressional medals of honor being awarded. Keaton at his best.

Turkey Mike Donlin was a known "eccentric." He actually acted in over 60 films, mostly in uncredited roles.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0232592/

Speaking of Gettysburg, Braves owner Ted Turner, who helped finance the movie and its prequel Gods and Generals, appears in a non-speaking role as one of the participants in the climactic Pickett's charge scene. He did have a line in Gods and Generals, speaking to Stephen Lang's (who may have been the only actor to pull off the role of Babe Ruth in an early 90's TV movie) Stonewall Jackson at a ball held for Confederate officers.
    I am watching "Gods And Generals" in pieces right now, not enjoying it as much as "Gettysburg" so far but it's worth watching. I was a little disappointed to find Duvall playing Lee instead of Sheen, whom I thought was brilliant in the first movie, but you can't really go wrong with either man. I'm also reading a book about the battle and find that the focus on Little Round Top in "Gettysburg" is a little deceiving because the Union forces lost a lot of ground elsewhere on the field during the second day...their focus was really on holding the most favorable ground in the area until full forces arrived and they did that, but being pushed back at all must have been demoralizing (damn Sickles!!).
    BTW, I found both movies in the $5 bin at MalWart...dig a lot of good flicks out of there.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    I see now that "The General" is considered to be one of the all time great films, but, as you said, happens to be set in the Civil War instead of really being about it. I'll still keep an eye out for it. Guess I need to respect Welles' opinion, but I also remember that guy ranked Gallo Bros wine pretty highly...
    There are battle scenes, etc. It is loosely based on the actual Union theft of the General supply train in 1862, which would lead to the first congressional medals of honor being awarded. Keaton at his best.

Turkey Mike Donlin was a known "eccentric." He actually acted in over 60 films, mostly in uncredited roles.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0232592/

Speaking of Gettysburg, Braves owner Ted Turner, who helped finance the movie and its prequel Gods and Generals, appears in a non-speaking role as one of the participants in the climactic Pickett's charge scene. He did have a line in Gods and Generals, speaking to Stephen Lang's (who may have been the only actor to pull off the role of Babe Ruth in an early 90's TV movie) Stonewall Jackson at a ball held for Confederate officers.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
    The General very often makes top 20 Greatest Movies ever lists.Orson Welles considered it THE greatest film ever.It is a comedy that just happens to be set in the Civil War(filmed at Cottage Grove,Oregon).Many critics have remarked on how it looks like Mathew Brady photos coming to life on the big screen.Great sight gags and the usual incredible stunts by the Great Stone face.Check it out on YouTube as well(the one by Mrfilmschatten has the best image and music imo) as well as the various shorts and "best of" and "stunt" clips by Keaton.Donlin is on the left with cigar in left hand and sporting sideburns(mutton chops).
    I see now that "The General" is considered to be one of the all time great films, but, as you said, happens to be set in the Civil War instead of really being about it. I'll still keep an eye out for it. Guess I need to respect Welles' opinion, but I also remember that guy ranked Gallo Bros wine pretty highly...

Leave a comment:

• Nimrod
    replied
    I'm going to have to find this one now...it's got pretty tough competition for that title from "Gettysburg", but your comment has piqued my interest.

I take it that Donlin is the sideburned man in the left foreground, with no facial hair?
    The General very often makes top 20 Greatest Movies ever lists.Orson Welles considered it THE greatest film ever.It is a comedy that just happens to be set in the Civil War(filmed at Cottage Grove,Oregon).Many critics have remarked on how it looks like Mathew Brady photos coming to life on the big screen.Great sight gags and the usual incredible stunts by the Great Stone face.Check it out on YouTube as well(the one by Mrfilmschatten has the best image and music imo) as well as the various shorts and "best of" and "stunt" clips by Keaton.Donlin is on the left with cigar in left hand and sporting sideburns(mutton chops).
    Last edited by Nimrod; 09-09-2012, 06:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    I had no idea Donlin was in that. It's arguably still the best Civil War film ever made.
    I'm going to have to find this one now...it's got pretty tough competition for that title from "Gettysburg", but your comment has piqued my interest.

I take it that Donlin is the sideburned man in the left foreground, with no facial hair?

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
    [ATTACH]114595[/ATTACH]Here is a still from Buster Keaton`s silent classic,The General(1926).Mike Donlin,the former hard hitting(.333 lifetime BA)NL outfielder is the fellow on the left with the long sideburns.Buster`s dad,Joseph Keaton,is to the right.Both are making very brief cameo appearances.Buster is hiding under the table as he is a Rebel and they are all Union officers.My favorite movie ever!
    I had no idea Donlin was in that. It's arguably still the best Civil War film ever made.

Leave a comment:

• Nimrod
    replied
    mike donlin-The General.pngHere is a still from Buster Keaton`s silent classic,The General(1926).Mike Donlin,the former hard hitting(.333 lifetime BA)NL outfielder is the fellow on the left with the long sideburns.Buster`s dad,Joseph Keaton,is to the right.Both are making very brief cameo appearances.Buster is hiding under the table as he is a Rebel and they are all Union officers.My favorite movie ever!

Leave a comment:

• Nimrod
    replied
    I remember hearing The Macho Man exclaim,in reference to his former baseball career,that he had "traded my 'field of dreams' for a 'ring of screams'!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    replied
    Double post!!
    Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 09-07-2012, 12:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X